Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike M Mike M is offline

Default Power Tool based Haunted House

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 23:22:45 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 15:34:10 -0400, Greg Guarino
wrote:

In this case it doesn't seem excessive. I wore goggles, but I really
should have had a face shield. I had at least one small object sting
my cheek. And I was extra careful around the (galvanized)
fenceposts. Had I hit one with that blade it might have torn a rift
in the fabric of the space-time. What's more, it *looks* like a
slightly over-spec string trimmer, so people might feel they can
come nearer than they should.

Yeah, I use my neighbor's mesh face shield and earmuff combo when I
work for him. They're on my to-buy list for next year. Those little
stones and twigs can scar your face up right quick, can't they?

On a related note... Ya know - for decades, I wouldn't wear protective gear
when using my chainsaw. And... my chainsaw sees regular use, not occasional
use. Didn't need that stuff and all that. Well, at a point, my son gave me
a couple of hardhats with protective ear muffs. I don't even know what made
me try them out - after all... I didn't need that ****, did I? Well... it
took one session of cutting up some logs to realize the benefit of this
gizmo. I never thought my chainsaw was all that loud, until I used it with
ear protection. So - like we see and hear so many times - sure wish I'd
waken to this years ago...

Stihl also makes one with out the hard hat which is nice in hot
weather when nothing is likely to fall on your head.

Mike M