Posted to rec.woodworking

Default wood carving tools

I was at a local large craft store. They had a set of woodcarving tools,
about a dozen in various shapes of blades. They are a simple 1/2" dowel
with a piece of sharpened metal inserted into one end. Are these intended
to be used with the pressure of the hand and palm pressing against them, or
with some small hammer/mallet/hardwood rod to carve the wood. They look
like the blade would go right into the wood if you hammered much, and there
is no ring around the end of the wood where the blade inserts. I also have
some that have a chisel shaped handle, have the ring around the handle where
the metal inserts, and I believe are for using on a lathe. Is that correct?

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:
I was at a local large craft store. They had a set of woodcarving tools,
about a dozen in various shapes of blades. They are a simple 1/2" dowel
with a piece of sharpened metal inserted into one end. Are these intended
to be used with the pressure of the hand and palm pressing against them, or
with some small hammer/mallet/hardwood rod to carve the wood. They look
like the blade would go right into the wood if you hammered much, and there
is no ring around the end of the wood where the blade inserts.

Good chisel have the ring ("ferrule"). I think one feature that would
distinguish that they are for a lathe is their size. My carving chisels
are 8 to 10 inches long, and I don't think my bench chisels are much
longer. I think a (regular) chisels for turning would tend to be a few
inches longer, at least. The difference in mass is significant.

My guess is that the craft store chisels would work okay on soft clay,
wax or Balsa wood (if they are the 10 for $10 variety that I have seen)
or with a short lifespan in other applications (but not turning on a
lathe).

Bill

I also have
some that have a chisel shaped handle, have the ring around the handle where
the metal inserts, and I believe are for using on a lathe. Is that correct?

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I was at a local large craft store. They had a set of woodcarving tools,
about a dozen in various shapes of blades. They are a simple 1/2" dowel
with a piece of sharpened metal inserted into one end. Are these
intended
to be used with the pressure of the hand and palm pressing against
them, or
with some small hammer/mallet/hardwood rod to carve the wood. They look
like the blade would go right into the wood if you hammered much, and
there
is no ring around the end of the wood where the blade inserts.

Good chisel have the ring ("ferrule").

Long ago, from what I understand, chisels didn't come with a handle. The
craftman was expected to made his own handles. That wouldn't be all
that difficult, but it reveals how times have changed. The cost of labor
has gone up compared to materials, for instance. I'm reminded of the
flyer I received today from Rockler concerning a small $300 collection
of plastic tools from Kreg:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...1&site=ROCKLER

I haven't tried them yet, but I'm sure they are a great value to
everyone who uses them! The are regularly $419, and will help sell a
lot of $16 glue bottles on the next shelf (seriously, they may!)

Yes, I do get frustrated when I walk through a retail store (like Koel's
yesterday) and see "sale prices" that make me feel like they think I'm
an idiot. But like Leon noted, the markup has little to do with the
actual value to the customer. Thus, it makes sense that the retailer
would put all of the value (that the tools possess) that they can into
their pockets. Although I'm not sure it's good for the customer-relailer
relationship in the long run. But this relationship seems be to be
viewed in a short-sighted manner these days.

On a similar note, more and more states are trying to draw more taxes
from state lotteries. Surely the price of a ticket is a small price to
pay for such a shortcut to wealth! : ) On the other hand, Hungary
made a law this week making slot machines in pubs illegal. Interesting
article he

http://www.boston.com/news/world/eur...ekL/story.html

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:

Yes, I do get frustrated when I walk through a retail store (like
Koel's yesterday) and see "sale prices" that make me feel like they
think I'm an idiot. But like Leon noted, the markup has little to do
with the actual value to the customer. Thus, it makes sense that the
retailer would put all of the value (that the tools possess) that
they can into their pockets. Although I'm not sure it's good for the
customer-relailer relationship in the long run. But this relationship
seems be to be viewed in a short-sighted manner these days.

It's not just these days Bill. The notion of the nobel retailer is a
romantic notion in the minds of those who pine for things of yesteryear. In
fact, years ago retailers were not looked upon kindly at all. They were not
trusted, and many if not most people viewed them as greedy. I don't thinks
there's much that's any different today than there has ever been. There's
always been the noteworthy place that believed in giving genuinely good
deals, and there still are today. Today, just like in years past, you just
have to find them because they are a unique thing in their industry.

On a similar note, more and more states are trying to draw more taxes
from state lotteries. Surely the price of a ticket is a small price to
pay for such a shortcut to wealth! : ) On the other hand, Hungary
made a law this week making slot machines in pubs illegal. Interesting
article he

Good for them! I'll bet that shortened the lines at the cash register in
the local quick-stops. There's few things that I hate more than getting
stuck behind lottery ticket buyers at the cash register...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
I don't thinks
there's much that's any different today than there has ever been. There's
always been the noteworthy place that believed in giving genuinely good
deals, and there still are today. Today, just like in years past, you just
have to find them because they are a unique thing in their industry.

I cashed-in on my "good deals" at an auction this weekend. The 7
Henckel's woodcarving tools for $20 was only so-so, but 3 new leather
attache-type bags for $10 (for all 3) was very nice. I had been looking
for one to replace the worn one I have, and they were not less than
$100. My wife wanted the other 2 bags. The auctioneer said, "Put
whatever you want on the table". Of course, it took 5 hours to get to
that part of the auction.

It was the first time I had been there, and there was a lumber store
right next door! So I came home with a piece of wood I have been
shopping for too. It was a 1/2" thick 5 1/2" wide, 8' piece of poplar,
for $14.50. I don't want to calculate the price per board-ft. ; ) Would
it be priced on the basis of 4 board-ft since it was dimensioned to 1/2"
thick? I don't like to think that I paid that much for 2 board feet of
poplar! : )

I plan to use the board to build a "keyboard stand"--a SketchUp picture
Of which I posted on my web site last spring, I think. [We debated the
best way to make a groove for pencils. I don't recall if handcarving
tools were mentioned then, but they are an available alternative for the
task now.]

Cheers,
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 19:29:19 -0400, Bill wrote:

Mike Marlow wrote:
I don't thinks
there's much that's any different today than there has ever been. There's
always been the noteworthy place that believed in giving genuinely good
deals, and there still are today. Today, just like in years past, you just
have to find them because they are a unique thing in their industry.

I cashed-in on my "good deals" at an auction this weekend. The 7
Henckel's woodcarving tools for $20 was only so-so, but 3 new leather
attache-type bags for $10 (for all 3) was very nice. I had been looking
for one to replace the worn one I have, and they were not less than
$100. My wife wanted the other 2 bags. The auctioneer said, "Put
whatever you want on the table". Of course, it took 5 hours to get to
that part of the auction.

You suck, Bill. (nice buys)

It was the first time I had been there, and there was a lumber store
right next door! So I came home with a piece of wood I have been
shopping for too. It was a 1/2" thick 5 1/2" wide, 8' piece of poplar,
for $14.50. I don't want to calculate the price per board-ft. ; ) Would
it be priced on the basis of 4 board-ft since it was dimensioned to 1/2"
thick? I don't like to think that I paid that much for 2 board feet of
poplar! : )

OK, then I won't say it. Why didn't you use some of your stash of
baltic birch ply for that project? You DO have a stash, oui?

I plan to use the board to build a "keyboard stand"--a SketchUp picture
Of which I posted on my web site last spring, I think. [We debated the
best way to make a groove for pencils. I don't recall if handcarving
tools were mentioned then, but they are an available alternative for the
task now.]

I hope that board hasn't been sitting around for too long. Poplar is
like balsa when it's fresh, but aged, it's more like oak. Amazing.
It's like doug fir in the sense that it petrifies when really dry.

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

OK, then I won't say it. Why didn't you use some of your stash of
baltic birch ply for that project? You DO have a stash, oui?

I'm building up a pretty nice (or at least numerous) collection of
boards. They are all domestic. No BB-ply. I am enjoying the
collecting--a board from here, a board from there. Of course, I
recognize that the approach has disadvantages. This lumber store I
visited though has ALOTTA lumber. Here is a link to their site--they
deliver. And you can even see the auction house in the photo on their
web site.

http://www.northwestlumberco.com/

I hope that board hasn't been sitting around for too long. Poplar is
like balsa when it's fresh, but aged, it's more like oak. Amazing.
It's like doug fir in the sense that it petrifies when really dry.

I noticed that 2 feet on one end are twisted. But the rest seems nice,
and I don't need those two feet for my main project.

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
I don't thinks
there's much that's any different today than there has ever been. There's
always been the noteworthy place that believed in giving genuinely good
deals, and there still are today. Today, just like in years past, you just
have to find them because they are a unique thing in their industry.

I cashed-in on my "good deals" at an auction this weekend. The 7
Henckel's woodcarving tools for $20 was only so-so, but 3 new leather
attache-type bags for $10 (for all 3) was very nice. I had been looking
for one to replace the worn one I have, and they were not less than
$100. My wife wanted the other 2 bags. The auctioneer said, "Put
whatever you want on the table". Of course, it took 5 hours to get to
that part of the auction.

You suck, Bill. (nice buys)

Larry, Since you liked that, I thought I would show you this craigslist
purchase that I made last week. I put the seller's picture on my web
site: 14 Swiss gouges and 4 German chip-carving knives (made by
"Bracht", which was bought up by Two-Cherries) (I'm not sure what to do
with all but the standard one). I paid $200:

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

The previous owner marked the gouges to coincide with the pockets of his
homemade tool roll.

This makes me flush with woodcarving gouges, unless I run into something
too good to pass up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 22:21:04 -0400, Bill wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

OK, then I won't say it. Why didn't you use some of your stash of
baltic birch ply for that project? You DO have a stash, oui?

I'm building up a pretty nice (or at least numerous) collection of
boards. They are all domestic. No BB-ply. I am enjoying the
collecting--a board from here, a board from there. Of course, I
recognize that the approach has disadvantages. This lumber store I
visited though has ALOTTA lumber. Here is a link to their site--they
deliver. And you can even see the auction house in the photo on their
web site.

http://www.northwestlumberco.com/

I used to live 15 minutes away from these guys but never had the bucks
do a proper feeding frenzy. http://www.anexotichardwood.com/

I hope that board hasn't been sitting around for too long. Poplar is
like balsa when it's fresh, but aged, it's more like oak. Amazing.
It's like doug fir in the sense that it petrifies when really dry.

I noticed that 2 feet on one end are twisted.

Hey, your pencil can do mid-air spins!

But the rest seems nice,
and I don't need those two feet for my main project.

OK, 1.5 b/f it is. gd&r

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
[...]

Not a bad buy, but not a really good one, either. Fair Dinkum,
anyway.

Selling the golf cart (which was given to me) for a grand after a $5
investment was my suck-o'-the-week. I gave the previous owner a $100
bill back and asked for a bill of sale. Net profit for an hour's
work: $895.

This makes me flush with woodcarving gouges, unless I run into something
too good to pass up.

Yeah, you're pretty much covered now!

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/11/2012 12:43 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 22:49:30 -0400, Bill wrote:

Larry, Since you liked that, I thought I would show you this craigslist
purchase that I made last week. I put the seller's picture on my web
site: 14 Swiss gouges and 4 German chip-carving knives (made by
"Bracht", which was bought up by Two-Cherries) (I'm not sure what to do
with all but the standard one). I paid $200:

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

The previous owner marked the gouges to coincide with the pockets of his
homemade tool roll.

Not a bad buy, but not a really good one, either. Fair Dinkum,
anyway.

Yes, I understand. But if you spend a few months chasing Pfeil gouges
around ebay, you might look at it with a slightly different light. At
the time, I was opting to buy a 6 pc set from Woodcraft for $160 - 15% +
sales tax, when their annual 15%-Off sale came around. So I basically
got those and 8 more for $200. I agree that spending $200 for gouges is
not fun.

Selling the golf cart (which was given to me) for a grand after a $5
investment was my suck-o'-the-week. I gave the previous owner a $100
bill back and asked for a bill of sale. Net profit for an hour's
work: $895.

Some people seem to have a knack for that. I'll keep working on my skills!

Cheers,
Bill

Staircase, Wood Molding, Exotic wood, Kitchen shutter, Wooden Bowl,Carving Bharat Woodworking 0 May 15th 10 01:30 PM
Staircase, Wood Molding, Exotic wood, Kitchen shutter, Wooden Bowl,Carving Bharat Woodturning 0 May 15th 10 01:29 PM
Frosts carving tools. T i m UK diy 5 July 4th 09 02:22 PM
Carving Tools Hank Woodworking 4 October 27th 05 02:16 PM
blue steel for carving tools? Bob Swinney Metalworking 7 July 17th 03 01:39 AM