Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default wood carving tools

I was at a local large craft store. They had a set of woodcarving tools,
about a dozen in various shapes of blades. They are a simple 1/2" dowel
with a piece of sharpened metal inserted into one end. Are these intended
to be used with the pressure of the hand and palm pressing against them, or
with some small hammer/mallet/hardwood rod to carve the wood. They look
like the blade would go right into the wood if you hammered much, and there
is no ring around the end of the wood where the blade inserts. I also have
some that have a chisel shaped handle, have the ring around the handle where
the metal inserts, and I believe are for using on a lathe. Is that correct?

Steve