Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default wood carving tools

Mike Marlow wrote:
I don't thinks
there's much that's any different today than there has ever been. There's
always been the noteworthy place that believed in giving genuinely good
deals, and there still are today. Today, just like in years past, you just
have to find them because they are a unique thing in their industry.

I cashed-in on my "good deals" at an auction this weekend. The 7
Henckel's woodcarving tools for $20 was only so-so, but 3 new leather
attache-type bags for $10 (for all 3) was very nice. I had been looking
for one to replace the worn one I have, and they were not less than
$100. My wife wanted the other 2 bags. The auctioneer said, "Put
whatever you want on the table". Of course, it took 5 hours to get to
that part of the auction.

It was the first time I had been there, and there was a lumber store
right next door! So I came home with a piece of wood I have been
shopping for too. It was a 1/2" thick 5 1/2" wide, 8' piece of poplar,
for $14.50. I don't want to calculate the price per board-ft. ; ) Would
it be priced on the basis of 4 board-ft since it was dimensioned to 1/2"
thick? I don't like to think that I paid that much for 2 board feet of
poplar! : )

I plan to use the board to build a "keyboard stand"--a SketchUp picture
Of which I posted on my web site last spring, I think. [We debated the
best way to make a groove for pencils. I don't recall if handcarving
tools were mentioned then, but they are an available alternative for the
task now.]

Cheers,
Bill