Posted to rec.woodworking

Default wood carving tools

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 22:49:30 -0400, Bill wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 19:29:19 -0400, Bill wrote:

Mike Marlow wrote:
I don't thinks
there's much that's any different today than there has ever been. There's
always been the noteworthy place that believed in giving genuinely good
deals, and there still are today. Today, just like in years past, you just
have to find them because they are a unique thing in their industry.

I cashed-in on my "good deals" at an auction this weekend. The 7
Henckel's woodcarving tools for $20 was only so-so, but 3 new leather
attache-type bags for $10 (for all 3) was very nice. I had been looking
for one to replace the worn one I have, and they were not less than
$100. My wife wanted the other 2 bags. The auctioneer said, "Put
whatever you want on the table". Of course, it took 5 hours to get to
that part of the auction.

You suck, Bill. (nice buys)

Larry, Since you liked that, I thought I would show you this craigslist
purchase that I made last week. I put the seller's picture on my web
site: 14 Swiss gouges and 4 German chip-carving knives (made by
"Bracht", which was bought up by Two-Cherries) (I'm not sure what to do
with all but the standard one). I paid $200:

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

The previous owner marked the gouges to coincide with the pockets of his
homemade tool roll.

Not a bad buy, but not a really good one, either. Fair Dinkum,
anyway.

Selling the golf cart (which was given to me) for a grand after a $5
investment was my suck-o'-the-week. I gave the previous owner a $100
bill back and asked for a bill of sale. Net profit for an hour's
work: $895.

This makes me flush with woodcarving gouges, unless I run into something
too good to pass up.

Yeah, you're pretty much covered now!

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin