Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Romex cable stapler - pneumatic?

Anyone know of a good stapler for Romex? Those little nail-in thingies are tough on my thumbs... I'd prefer pneumatic, but price *is* an issue, so manual "staple gun" style might be ok if it actually works well. thanx
MEW
Posted to rec.woodworking

JayPique wrote in
:

Anyone know of a good stapler for Romex? Those little nail-in
thingies are tough on my thumbs... I'd prefer pneumatic, but
price *is* an issue, so manual "staple gun" style might be ok if
it actually works well.

http://www.cableorganizer.com/gardne...er/staple-gun/

I bought one of these a few years ago. Works *great* driving staples into any new
construction, not so great with the 55-year-old yellow pine joists in my basement.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..

JayPique wrote in
:

Anyone know of a good stapler for Romex? Those little nail-in
thingies are tough on my thumbs... I'd prefer pneumatic, but
price *is* an issue, so manual "staple gun" style might be ok if
it actually works well.

http://www.cableorganizer.com/gardne...er/staple-gun/

I bought one of these a few years ago. Works *great* driving staples into
any new
construction, not so great with the 55-year-old yellow pine joists in my
basement.

The younger units always beat the older guys these days!

--

Eric

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 18:47:42 -0700 (PDT), JayPique
wrote:

Anyone know of a good stapler for Romex? Those little nail-in thingies are tough on my thumbs... I'd prefer pneumatic, but price *is* an issue, so manual "staple gun" style might be ok if it actually works well. thanx

Use a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the staples, thus saving your
thumb and forefinger.

Air: I've never seen a pneumatic romex stapler.

Manuals: I've always liked the way Arrow guns work. Try their T-72
model. (Disclaimer: I have no experience with that one here, but have
used the T-50 lots and a T-25 once.)

--
I would be the most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people
who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Anyone know of a good stapler for Romex? Those little nail-in thingies are tough on my thumbs...

You're supposed to use a hammer.

I'd prefer pneumatic, but price *is* an issue, so manual "staple gun" style might be ok if it actually works well. thanx
MEW

I have the Gardner Bender stapler. It works pretty well, though sometimes it
doesn't go in all the way or I need a more substantial staple.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Anyone know of a good stapler for Romex? Those little nail-in thingies are tough on my thumbs... I'd prefer pneumatic, but price *is* an issue, so manual "staple gun" style might be ok if it actually works well. thanx
MEW

Hold the back of your hand to the wood, the staple between your index
and middle finger. It doesn't hurt nearly as much if you hit your hand
that way.

Ditto for many nailing situations.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Now,now....SYP is a softwood.

On 9/20/2012 7:00 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
I bought one of these a few years ago. Works *great* driving staples into any new
construction, not so great with the 55-year-old yellow pine joists in my basement.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Pat Barber
wrote:

Now,now....SYP is a softwood.

On 9/20/2012 7:00 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
I bought one of these a few years ago. Works *great* driving staples into
any new
construction, not so great with the 55-year-old yellow pine joists in my basement.

And balsa is a hardwood.

--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because it¹s the one thing I can think of that probably doesn¹t. *
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 18:26:30 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , Pat Barber
wrote:

Now,now....SYP is a softwood.

On 9/20/2012 7:00 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
I bought one of these a few years ago. Works *great* driving staples into
any new
construction, not so great with the 55-year-old yellow pine joists in my basement.

And balsa is a hardwood.

Only in the sense that it's deciduous.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
" wrote:

On Tue, 25 Sep 2012 18:26:30 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , Pat Barber
wrote:

Now,now....SYP is a softwood.

On 9/20/2012 7:00 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
I bought one of these a few years ago. Works *great* driving staples into
any new
construction, not so great with the 55-year-old yellow pine joists in my
basement.

And balsa is a hardwood.

Only in the sense that it's deciduous.

And 55 year old Douglas Fir (we don't get SYP much up here) is a
softwood only in the sense it's coniferous.

(I know that you know all this... grin)

--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because it¹s the one thing I can think of that probably doesn¹t. *
John Gierach

Posted to rec.woodworking

I would gladly give you all the SYP we have for
a decent load of Douglas Fir.

On 9/26/2012 7:20 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:

And 55 year old Douglas Fir (we don't get SYP much up here) is a
softwood only in the sense it's coniferous.

(I know that you know all this... grin)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/26/2012 9:55 AM, Pat Barber wrote:
I would gladly give you all the SYP we have for
a decent load of Douglas Fir.

+1

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Pat Barber
wrote:

I would gladly give you all the SYP we have for
a decent load of Douglas Fir.

Decent Doug Fir is difficult to find, isn't it? Even here where the
stuff grows.

--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because it¹s the one thing I can think of that probably doesn¹t. *
John Gierach
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:13:29 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/26/2012 9:55 AM, Pat Barber wrote:
I would gladly give you all the SYP we have for
a decent load of Douglas Fir.

+1

DF is all we have up here in the PNW. /brag g

Freshly cut, it's as soft as pine. Dry, it's harder than oak.
Import nails bend when they just _see_ aged doug fir. And it handles
cold, rainy weather damnear as well as PT, cedar, or redwood. Amazing.

--
Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:13:29 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/26/2012 9:55 AM, Pat Barber wrote:
I would gladly give you all the SYP we have for
a decent load of Douglas Fir.

+1

DF is all we have up here in the PNW. /brag g

Freshly cut, it's as soft as pine. Dry, it's harder than oak.
Import nails bend when they just _see_ aged doug fir. And it handles
cold, rainy weather damnear as well as PT, cedar, or redwood. Amazing.

Vertical grain Douglas fir can make some nice looking furniture and carries
a premium price hereabouts.

--
www.ewoodshop.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave Balderstone writes:
In article , Pat Barber
wrote:

I would gladly give you all the SYP we have for
a decent load of Douglas Fir.

Decent Doug Fir is difficult to find, isn't it? Even here where the
stuff grows.

For those in the bay area, Jackel in watsonville has nice new and
recycled doug fir; with the new in 8/4 and 10/4. Reclaimed is hit-n-miss.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/26/12 1:26 PM, Swingman wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:13:29 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/26/2012 9:55 AM, Pat Barber wrote:
I would gladly give you all the SYP we have for
a decent load of Douglas Fir.

+1

DF is all we have up here in the PNW. /brag g

Freshly cut, it's as soft as pine. Dry, it's harder than oak.
Import nails bend when they just _see_ aged doug fir. And it handles
cold, rainy weather damnear as well as PT, cedar, or redwood. Amazing.

Vertical grain Douglas fir can make some nice looking furniture and carries
a premium price hereabouts.

I love doug fir and the local big boxes used to carry it, regularly.
Very hard to find, anymore.
I'll ignore the "harder than oak" comment and chalk it up to hyperbole.
:-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:13:29 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/26/2012 9:55 AM, Pat Barber wrote:
I would gladly give you all the SYP we have for
a decent load of Douglas Fir.

+1

DF is all we have up here in the PNW. /brag g

Freshly cut, it's as soft as pine. Dry, it's harder than oak.
Import nails bend when they just _see_ aged doug fir. And it handles
cold, rainy weather damnear as well as PT, cedar, or redwood. Amazing.

Vertical grain Douglas fir can make some nice looking furniture and carries
a premium price hereabouts.

I love doug fir and the local big boxes used to carry it, regularly.
Very hard to find, anymore.
I'll ignore the "harder than oak" comment and chalk it up to hyperbole.

You'd be mistaken. Try working with 50 year old DF fourbatooz. You
pretty much have to drill to be able to drive a nail.

--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because it¹s the one thing I can think of that probably doesn¹t. *
John Gierach
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:13:29 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/26/2012 9:55 AM, Pat Barber wrote:
I would gladly give you all the SYP we have for
a decent load of Douglas Fir.

+1

DF is all we have up here in the PNW. /brag g

Freshly cut, it's as soft as pine. Dry, it's harder than oak.
Import nails bend when they just _see_ aged doug fir. And it handles
cold, rainy weather damnear as well as PT, cedar, or redwood. Amazing.

Vertical grain Douglas fir can make some nice looking furniture and carries
a premium price hereabouts.

I love doug fir and the local big boxes used to carry it, regularly.
Very hard to find, anymore.
I'll ignore the "harder than oak" comment and chalk it up to hyperbole.

You'd be mistaken. Try working with 50 year old DF fourbatooz. You
pretty much have to drill to be able to drive a nail.

As hard as Oak?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , -MIKE-

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Doubt it. But I'm sure it's on the Janka hardness scale if you say so.
:-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , -MIKE-

In article , -MIKE-

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Pedant...

--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because it¹s the one thing I can think of that probably doesn¹t. *
John Gierach
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 13:26:30 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:13:29 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/26/2012 9:55 AM, Pat Barber wrote:
I would gladly give you all the SYP we have for
a decent load of Douglas Fir.

+1

DF is all we have up here in the PNW. /brag g

Freshly cut, it's as soft as pine. Dry, it's harder than oak.
Import nails bend when they just _see_ aged doug fir. And it handles
cold, rainy weather damnear as well as PT, cedar, or redwood. Amazing.

Vertical grain Douglas fir can make some nice looking furniture and carries
a premium price hereabouts.

VG carries a hefty price anywhere. VG cedar in a stain-grade tubasix
is $8-12/lf here, special order. Dunno 'bout VGDF.

--
Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , -MIKE-

In article , -MIKE-

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

You may want to google the word, "hyperbole."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , -MIKE-

In article , -MIKE-

In article , -MIKE-

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

No need. And I never referred to Janka hardness. g

--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because it¹s the one thing I can think of that probably doesn¹t. *
John Gierach

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , -MIKE-

In article , -MIKE-

In article , -MIKE-

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

I'm not the one who insisted DF gets as hard as oak. In fact, I
specifically let it alone because I knew it was hyperbole, speaking
figuratively. That was fine with me.

But then some other guy insisted it was, actually. And I call bull****.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:13:29 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 9/26/2012 9:55 AM, Pat Barber wrote:
I would gladly give you all the SYP we have for
a decent load of Douglas Fir.

+1

DF is all we have up here in the PNW. /brag g

Freshly cut, it's as soft as pine. Dry, it's harder than oak.
Import nails bend when they just _see_ aged doug fir. And it handles
cold, rainy weather damnear as well as PT, cedar, or redwood. Amazing.

Vertical grain Douglas fir can make some nice looking furniture and carries
a premium price hereabouts.

My property is primarily Fir, Cedar, and Hemlock with some Maple and
Wild Cherry. I'm mostly taking out the 130' tall multi headed
Hemlocks so I can sleep better at night. With some of the Doug Fir
that came down on the neighbors property as I was splitting rounds I
probably put 25% to one side to be resawn for boxes ect. A tree guy
I do some work for hauling chips or excavator work got to log part of
an old growth forest. He's got 5' diameter rounds about 6' long
that's he is taking to the mill to have it cut for doing his floor. He
will also get it kiln dried. Wonderful colors in old fir. I did my
living room trim in clear straight grain fir with an oil finish.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike M wrote:

My property is primarily Fir, Cedar, and Hemlock with some Maple and
Wild Cherry. I'm mostly taking out the 130' tall multi headed
Hemlocks so I can sleep better at night.

Wow - that's weird, at least around here it would be weird. We don't see
multiple heads on Hemlock around here. 130' is also a really good height.
Not sure how often you could find that kind of height around here - usually
more like 60' or so.

With some of the Doug Fir
that came down on the neighbors property as I was splitting rounds I
probably put 25% to one side to be resawn for boxes ect. A tree guy
I do some work for hauling chips or excavator work got to log part of
an old growth forest. He's got 5' diameter rounds about 6' long
that's he is taking to the mill to have it cut for doing his floor. He
will also get it kiln dried. Wonderful colors in old fir. I did my
living room trim in clear straight grain fir with an oil finish.

Sweet. I don't think we have any amount of DF around here anymore, let
alone stuff that big around. You can find hard maple around that is that
size or even bigger, but even that is getting hard to find. Nice to be able
to score that and mill it into what you want.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 21:32:52 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Mike M wrote:

[...]

Here's one of them coming down.
http://s1185.photobucket.com/albums/...1040946482.mp4

Here's a picture of the stump from that tree. Took me 3 days to dig
it out and had to rent a bigger excavator in the end.

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/...ent/photo2.jpg

I'm in the foothills of W. Washington so there still some tall stuff.
The hemlock isn't worth hauling to the mill, and the Doug Fir is
pretty low right now that it's shocking when you go to buy it. I was
going to finance a woodmiser sawmill for the tree guy but it didn't
pan out do to various complications.

Mike M
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPique View Post
Anyone know of a good stapler for Romex? Those little nail-in thingies are tough on my thumbs... I'd prefer pneumatic, but price *is* an issue, so manual "staple gun" style might be ok if it actually works well. thanx
MEW
Gardner Bender and Arrow Fastener both have a hand operated stapler that can be used for Romex® Cable Staples.

This answer is intended to apply to Romex® Brand NM Cable. For other NM cables, please check with those respective brand suppliers or cable manufacturers. Romex® is a Registered Trademark of Southwire Company.
This communication is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to constitute advice. As all the facts and circumstances in any given situation may not be apparent, this communication is not intended to be, and should not be, relied upon by the reader in making decisions with respect to the issues discussed herein, and the reader assumes the risk if he or she chooses to do so. The reader is encouraged to consult an expert before making any decisions or taking any action concerning the matters in this communication. All warranties, express or implied, including warranties regarding accuracy, adequacy, completeness, legality, reliability, safety or usefulness of any information, ARE DISCLAIMED. Southwire Company is not liable for any damages however caused and on any theory of liability arising in any way out of the information provided or the reader's use of it.