Danny

Default Pneumatic Finish Nailer or pneumatic stapler

Hi,
I just bought a pancake compressor and will soon buy a pneumatic nailer.
I have to eventually re-trim the whole house and will likely buy a 16
gauge finish nailer for that, unless someone suggests otherwise. I also
have to take a small closet door apart in the bathroom. What I'm going
to be doing is removing and replacing (moving it back further) the
little strips in the doorway that go up against the door when it's in
the closed postition, as it looks like they were improperly installed
the first time and causing an interference with the door. It was
originally fastened with some kind of small woodworking staples. I was
wondering if I should just use the finish nailer that I'll be getting on
this, or to get one on of the pneumatic staplers and fasten it the way
it originally was.

Thanks for any help,

Danny

Joseph Meehan

Danny wrote:
[...]

I would use the nailer The staples hold better in some conditions.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Edwin Pawlowski

"Danny" wrote in message
Hi,
It was
originally fastened with some kind of small woodworking staples. I was
wondering if I should just use the finish nailer that I'll be getting on
this, or to get one on of the pneumatic staplers and fasten it the way
it originally was.

Nails will be just fine. I rarely use my stapler. You do get a bit more
holding power, but you also get more to fill in after. I use the stapler
for things like a bookcase back that is not visible.

If you've not done so yet, you can buy a kit with an air nozzle, tire
inflator, ball inflator, etc. Handy to have around.

mike60510

I would use the nailer The staples hold better in some

conditions.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

After watching U2 on the rock and roll hall of fame induction thing on
VH-1 I thought Irish Math was 1, 2, 3, 14

Duane Bozarth

Danny wrote:

Thanks for the help, both of you guys. I plan on getting that accessory kit
right away.

And that strip that the door shuts against is the "stop"...
Jerry Schwartz

I'm not an expert, and don't own either. However, when some pros used a nail
gun to put our baseboards back after a remodeling project they managed to
nail a pipe. That makes me think a stapler is safer; but I suppose another
answer is to use shorter nails.

--
Regards,

Jerry Schwartz
http://www.writebynight.com
e-card JerryS https://ecardfile.com/

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jerry Schwartz" wrote in message
I'm not an expert, and don't own either. However, when some pros used a
nail gun to put our baseboards back after a remodeling project they
managed to nail a pipe. That makes me think a stapler is safer; but I
suppose another answer is to use shorter nails.

The staples can be as long as the nails so no advantage.

JB

I am lucky enough to own a whole family of pneumatic nailers from crown
staplers right up to a framer, roofing nailer and a new battery powered
finish nailer.

For installing things like prehung doors etc I like the 16 gage finish
nailer. However, for installing trim, I prefer the 18 gage brad nailer.
Reason is that you get less splitting and the brad nails are nearly
invisible if the depth is set properly. Many of the brad nails have brown
heads so if you and installing a darker colored trim there may be no need to
fill. As long as you get long enough brads, they will hold plenty tight.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"Jerry Schwartz" wrote in message
I'm not an expert, and don't own either. However, when some pros used a
nail gun to put our baseboards back after a remodeling project they
managed to nail a pipe. That makes me think a stapler is safer; but I
suppose another answer is to use shorter nails.

The staples can be as long as the nails so no advantage.

Danny

Thanks Duane,
I like to be able to use the correct terms. English is a tool just like any
other. You must use it properly. I was thinking that it might be called a
"stop", because I kept thinking of it as "that thing that stops the door". It's
funny how the names actually reflect what they do sometimes

Danny