TP

Default Cable stapler question

I need to staple about 1000 feet of coax cable and cat5 wire.
What is the best brand of a cable stapler to buy? I see Arrow
makes one that shoots a round top staple. Then PowerFast makes
one that uses 3 different styles. This seems to me you have to
keep switching between wire sizes and staples…? Are these my
only brand choices?

Thanks
TP
Greg

I have the Arrow and it knicks the jacket on RG6 if you are not very careful.
The staple is almost exactly the same size as the cable. I am not sure it gets
to the braid but it looks bad. Works good on the CAT5. Just don't get to
aggressive and pinch the wire. Hold it back a bit
zxcvbob

TP wrote:
I need to staple about 1000 feet of coax cable and cat5 wire. What is
the best brand of a cable stapler to buy? I see Arrow makes one that
shoots a round top staple. Then PowerFast makes one that uses 3
different styles. This seems to me you have to keep switching between
wire sizes and staples…? Are these my only brand choices?

Thanks
TP

The local electrical inspector said I had to pull out all the staples
(Arrow) because they were not UL approved. I showed him the box of
staples where it *was* UL approved and he said I couldn't use 'em
anyway, just because.

You might want to ask the inspector's office before you use them, just
in case you have to deal with an asshole.

After typing the above, I noticed that you you said "coax", not "romex".
The Arrow round-top metal staples work great. I think a T-25 stapler
will work for both coax and CAT5. T-18 works great for #12 and #14
ground wires, or plain-old-telephone cable, but it tends to damage the
jacket on CAT5 and could cut the wires if you're not careful.

You can also just use poultry fence staples since this is low-voltage
wiring, and save the cost of a staple gun.

Best regards,
Bob
Hound Dog

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
TP wrote:
[...]

Poultry fence staples? When were they UL approved?

zxcvbob

Hound Dog wrote:
"zxcvbob" wrote in message

TP wrote:

[...]

For low voltage wiring, I'm pretty sure they don't have to be.

Bob

Greg

You can also just use poultry fence staples since this is low-voltage
wiring, and save the cost of a staple gun.

Best regards,
Bob

Poultry fence staples? When were they UL approved?

For low voltage wiring, I'm pretty sure they don't have to be.

Bob

Article 725 has as much a force of law as article 300. Low voltage is still
regulated by the NEC and if an inspector is questioning your Romex staples he
could screw with you on the CAT5 staples too.

It is becoming a lot more common that low voltage installers need to be
licensed and pull permits. That has been true in Florida for almost a decade.

Richard J Kinch

Greg writes:

It is becoming a lot more common that low voltage installers need to
be licensed and pull permits. That has been true in Florida for almost
a decade.

True, but it has mostly to do with trade protection and price maintenance,
not technology.
Abe

I need to staple about 1000 feet of coax cable and cat5 wire.
What is the best brand of a cable stapler to buy? I see Arrow
makes one that shoots a round top staple. Then PowerFast makes
one that uses 3 different styles. This seems to me you have to
keep switching between wire sizes and staples…? Are these my
only brand choices?

Thanks
TP

-----------
You either want to use round top cable staples for the coax:
http://doityourself.com/store/2832137.htm
and round top data cable staples for cat5 wi
http://doityourself.com/store/0026625.htm

TP

THANKS for all the replies! Sounds like Arrow could cut it,
not good. I spent extra for quad coax, so I don't want to mess
up impedance.
Single plastic wire clamps should take a while to install...
Power fast does make a stapler for nonmetallic sheathed cable.
Has anyone used it?
http://www.desatech.com/product.cgi?products=Fasteners

Now I'm guessing I should run all this wire into wireways.
It's only my own house, not a commercial building... :-) Would
plastic ties be OK? or could that cause a problem with phone,
network & cable all tied in a bundle.

Thanks
TP

===========================
DCT Dictator wrote:

TP wrote:

I need to staple about 1000 feet of coax cable and cat5 wire.
What is the best brand of a cable stapler to buy? I see Arrow
makes one that shoots a round top staple. Then PowerFast makes
one that uses 3 different styles. This seems to me you have to
keep switching between wire sizes and staples…? Are these my
only brand choices?

Thanks
TP

Don't staple coax. Crushing the cable affects the impedance. The Cable
Company threw out all it's T25s and T36s long ago.

TP wrote:

I need to staple about 1000 feet of coax cable and cat5 wire.
What is the best brand of a cable stapler to buy? I see Arrow
makes one that shoots a round top staple. Then PowerFast makes
one that uses 3 different styles. This seems to me you have to
keep switching between wire sizes and staples…? Are these my
only brand choices?

Thanks
TP

If this is a one time project you may want to consider renting the
stapler. (Home Depot or Lowes?).
Get a better stapler, and maybe some advice.

LB

Philip Lewis

TP writes:
Single plastic wire clamps should take a while to install...

Hmmm..... How about using the plastic zip ties and stapling the end of
the tie?
Thoughts?

--
be safe.