Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lew - this one's gonna **** you right off (it's an old one...) - and probably Dave too...

I recently asked my frie.nds' little girl what she wanted to be when she
grows up She said she wanted to be President of the United States. Both of
her parents liberal Democrats, were standing there so I asked her.

"If you were President, what would be the first thing you would do?" She
replied "I'd give food and houses to all the Homeless people," Her parents
beamed.

"Wow what a worthy goal," I told her "But you don't have to wait until
you're President to do that. You can come over to my house and mow the lawn,
pull weeds, and sweep my driveway, and I'll pay you $50. Then I'll take you
over to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out, and you can give
him the $50 to use toward food and a new house."

She thought that over for a few seconds, then she looked me straight in the
eye and asked, "Why doesn't the homeless guy come over and do the work, and
you can just pay him the $5O?"

I said, "Welcome to the Republican Party,"

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
[...]

Now you're just being meang

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

[...]

--------------------------------------
When you have facts, use them.

When you don't, throw crap on the wall and see if you van get someting
to stick.

Keep throwing.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Mike Marlow
wrote:

[...]

+2

--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because itıs the one thing I can think of that probably doesnıt. *
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

[...]

By now that's a really olde one. I wonder whether you have a soup
kitchen or food pantry in your town ...
--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

[...]

I'm going to wager that homeless guy is a veteran, Vietnam if he's
pretty old, but maybe Iraq or Afghanistan if he's not that old. Assuming
that were the case I'm going to also wager that he suffers PTSD or some
other debilitating mental illness as a result of his service time. Maybe
he survived but one or more of his buddies didn't. Maybe he committed some
heinous act in the heat of combat, killed non-combatants - whatever. I
think I'll win those bets as often as not. And, even if he's not a veteran
you can rest assured he's not just some shiftless bum. I doubt anyone ever
chooses to live like that.
Have a good laugh, Marlow.

Dave in Texas

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Its the ,Conservative party up here.

Sal

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , Han
wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

[...]

We have both. We also have jobs going begging... But the two couldn't
be connected, could they?

--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because itıs the one thing I can think of that probably doesnıt. *
John Gierach
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 17 Sep 2012 21:25:57 GMT, Han wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

[...]

It's also SPOT ON, isn't it? C'mon, fess up.

I wonder whether you have a soup
kitchen or food pantry in your town ...

Probably so. They're everywhere.

--
The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most
likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

When you have facts, use them.

When you don't, throw crap on the wall and see if you van get someting
to stick.

Keep throwing.

Oh come on Lew - I expected something better than that from ya!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:

By now that's a really olde one. I wonder whether you have a soup
kitchen or food pantry in your town ...

In my town? Hell Han - there's barely a four corners in my town!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave in Texas wrote:

I'm going to wager that homeless guy is a veteran, Vietnam if he's
pretty old, but maybe Iraq or Afghanistan if he's not that old. Assuming
that were the case I'm going to also wager that he suffers PTSD or some
other debilitating mental illness as a result of his service time. Maybe
he survived but one or more of his buddies didn't. Maybe he committed
some
heinous act in the heat of combat, killed non-combatants - whatever. I
think I'll win those bets as often as not. And, even if he's not a
veteran
you can rest assured he's not just some shiftless bum. I doubt anyone
ever
chooses to live like that.
Have a good laugh, Marlow.

Dave in Texas

Wow. You're kidding - right? How can anyone take a joke like that and
arrive at the conclusions you have? And to boot - end up taking offense at
it from a presumed prespective? The joke was not even about a homeless
guy - or did you not even really read it?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

sal wrote:

Its the ,Conservative party up here.

Sal

Well... down here the Republican party *used* to be the conservative
party...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:3aada$5057bddd
:

Han wrote:

By now that's a really olde one. I wonder whether you have a soup
kitchen or food pantry in your town ...

In my town? Hell Han - there's barely a four corners in my town!

Sorry about that Mike.
--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
news:3aada$5057bddd :

Han wrote:

By now that's a really olde one. I wonder whether you have a soup
kitchen or food pantry in your town ...

In my town? Hell Han - there's barely a four corners in my town!

Sorry about that Mike.

Why Han?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:18117$5057c1e0
:

Han wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
news:3aada$5057bddd :

Han wrote:

By now that's a really olde one. I wonder whether you have a soup
kitchen or food pantry in your town ...

In my town? Hell Han - there's barely a four corners in my town!

Sorry about that Mike.

Why Han?

Obvious Mike, any town should have at leat four corners, if not more ...
Otherwise it's just a fleck on the map. And i'm sorry if my attempts at
humor are offending.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 14:18:47 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

[...]

It Obame gets reelected, just think of the mess he'll inherit in his second
term!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 20:22:38 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

sal wrote:

Its the ,Conservative party up here.

Sal

Well... down here the Republican party *used* to be the conservative
party...

Considering the alternative...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
news:18117$5057c1e0 :

Han wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
news:3aada$5057bddd :

Han wrote:

By now that's a really olde one. I wonder whether you have a soup
kitchen or food pantry in your town ...

In my town? Hell Han - there's barely a four corners in my town!

Sorry about that Mike.

Why Han?

Obvious Mike, any town should have at leat four corners, if not more
... Otherwise it's just a fleck on the map. And i'm sorry if my
attempts at humor are offending.

Nah - not offending at all Han. I think I understand you well enough that I
don't assume an offensive posture from you. And by the way - we probably
are not much more than a fleck on the map...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

....from himself!

--
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure,the creed of ignorance, and the
gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery"

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Han" wrote in message ...

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:18117$5057c1e0
:

Han wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
news:3aada$5057bddd :

Han wrote:

By now that's a really olde one. I wonder whether you have a soup
kitchen or food pantry in your town ...

In my town? Hell Han - there's barely a four corners in my town!

Sorry about that Mike.

Why Han?

Obvious Mike, any town should have at leat four corners, if not more ...
Otherwise it's just a fleck on the map. And i'm sorry if my attempts at
humor are offending.

The town I live in is a fleck on the map. Less than 2500 population and it
has grown considerably since I've lived here. We don't even have a gas
station.

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:

The town I live in is a fleck on the map. Less than 2500 population
and it has grown considerably since I've lived here. We don't even
have a gas station.

Ha! We do! And... it doubles as a Convience Store! I guess we're more
upscale than I thought...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 19:13:05 -0700, "CW" wrote:

The town I live in is a fleck on the map. Less than 2500 population and it
has grown considerably since I've lived here. We don't even have a gas
station.

Our town is going to crap. When I moved here 31 years ago, we had
more liquor stores than traffic lights. Same number of liquor stores,
but a hell of a lot more traffic lights. We even have a McDonalds
now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 19:13:05 -0700, "CW" wrote:

The town I live in is a fleck on the map. Less than 2500 population and it
has grown considerably since I've lived here. We don't even have a gas
station.

Our town is going to crap. When I moved here 31 years ago, we had
more liquor stores than traffic lights. Same number of liquor stores,
but a hell of a lot more traffic lights. We even have a McDonalds
now.
When I moved here about 20 years ago, we did not even have a traffic light.
Just a few flashing reds. We got our first one about five years ago. We're
squeezed between 2 towns and a hill. We can't get any bigger.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/17/2012 3:01 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

[...]

If the scenario was not true it wold not have bothered you Lew. You can
pass it out but not take it?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 20:21:38 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Wow. You're kidding - right? How can anyone take a joke like that and
arrive at the conclusions you have? And to boot - end up taking offense at
it from a presumed prespective? The joke was not even about a homeless
guy - or did you not even really read it?

"pull weeds, and sweep my driveway, and I'll pay you $50. Then I'll
take you over to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out,
and you can give him the $50 to use toward food and a new house."

Your words above and you DID mention a homeless guy even it that's not
what the joke was really about. I read it all and although I know it
was meant to be some sort of joke, it just didn't come off as really
being one.

The trouble with jokes like that, (and all the rhetoric about bums and
people not working) around here, is that it's all encompassing EVERY
time.

This newsgroup is still called rec.woodworking, but the vast majority
of messages here are whining of some sort or another. And you're
beginning to fit into that category quite nicely. Enjoy yourself Mike.

I know a number of people with some sort of disability living on
support of one type or another. Smart articulate people and they're
all struggling just to survive in the hovels that they call home.
They're not lazy and they're not shiftless. But, that doesn't stop
people similar to many of the whiners here from calling them
freeloaders and lazy.

Yeah I know, I'm on the horse again. Guess I'll always will be because
I know just from the grace of god, there go I.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I was talking to a friend's little girl, and she said she wanted to be President
some day. Both of her parents, liberal Democrats, were standing there, so I asked
her quietly, "Do you hate dirty brown people?"

She replied, "Yup."

And I said, "Welcome to the Republican Party, sweetheart."

Here's another:

I was talking to a friend's little boy who mows my lawn. I was telling him that I
found someone else to mow my lawn.

"What do you mean?" he started tearing up. "Haven't I done a good job?". "It's not
that" I said. "I pay you $20 to mow my lawn and I found a mexican guy who will do
it for $10. Sorry, it's market forces at work". "I thought you hated illegal
immmigrants?" the boy said. "I do" I replied "but business is business". The boy
paused and thought for a moment. "So even though we don't like illegal immigrants
we can still hire them? All this time I could have just outsourced it to this guy
and made $10 a week for doing nothing while still hating his guts?"

And I said, "Welcome to the Republican Party"
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

It's you Dave. I found it quite humorous and very true. I'm on disability
myself. I'd have no problem voting for a democrat if I could find one that
didn't have his head in his ass. I'm not holding my breath.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 23:53:41 -0700, "CW" wrote:
It's you Dave. I found it quite humorous and very true. I'm on disability
myself. I'd have no problem voting for a democrat if I could find one that
didn't have his head in his ass. I'm not holding my breath.

Guess you've got a problem then. Vote for someone who is an absolute
ass or vote for someone you hate. Sounds like your choice is the ass.
Never know, he might rise to the occasion.

I've frequently mentioned that the US is (or was) a really great
country. But it sure sounds pretty screwed up lately. What can you
going to do?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:

Your words above and you DID mention a homeless guy even it that's not
what the joke was really about. I read it all and although I know it
was meant to be some sort of joke, it just didn't come off as really
being one.

The joke mentioned parents too. And lawn mowing. And sweeping. Those
aren't the joke. One has to look too hard to find anything offensive other
than the running battles between democrats and republicans in this joke.

The trouble with jokes like that, (and all the rhetoric about bums and
people not working) around here, is that it's all encompassing EVERY
time.

Only if you look to make it so.

This newsgroup is still called rec.woodworking, but the vast majority
of messages here are whining of some sort or another. And you're
beginning to fit into that category quite nicely. Enjoy yourself Mike.

No idea what you mean by this Dave.

I know a number of people with some sort of disability living on
support of one type or another. Smart articulate people and they're
all struggling just to survive in the hovels that they call home.
They're not lazy and they're not shiftless. But, that doesn't stop
people similar to many of the whiners here from calling them
freeloaders and lazy.

But - do you know any democrats... or republicans? That's what the damned
joke is about!

Yeah I know, I'm on the horse again. Guess I'll always will be because
I know just from the grace of god, there go I.

You're going to become a democrat or a republican?...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 06:25:28 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
But - do you know any democrats... or republicans? That's what the damned
joke is about!

Yeah, I know the joke was about democrats and republicans. The problem
is that it used a much maligned part of society to deliver its punch
line.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 06:25:28 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
But - do you know any democrats... or republicans? That's what the
damned joke is about!

Yeah, I know the joke was about democrats and republicans. The problem
is that it used a much maligned part of society to deliver its punch
line.

Actually, it used an element of society that is either maligned by some,
and/or manipulated by others for their personal agendas, to deliver a punch
line about those who either malign or manipulate. Not at the expense of
that element of society - which had it done so, I could have gotten behind
your point.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 06:50:51 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
Actually, it used an element of society that is either maligned by some,
and/or manipulated by others for their personal agendas, to deliver a punch
line about those who either malign or manipulate. Not at the expense of
that element of society - which had it done so, I could have gotten behind
your point.

Ok, I can't argue against that point.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Han wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
news:18117$5057c1e0 :

Han wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in
news:3aada$5057bddd :

Han wrote:

By now that's a really olde one. I wonder whether you have a
soup kitchen or food pantry in your town ...

In my town? Hell Han - there's barely a four corners in my town!

Sorry about that Mike.

Why Han?

Obvious Mike, any town should have at leat four corners, if not more
... Otherwise it's just a fleck on the map. And i'm sorry if my
attempts at humor are offending.

Nah - not offending at all Han. I think I understand you well enough
that I don't assume an offensive posture from you. And by the way -
we probably are not much more than a fleck on the map...

It's probably nice to liev there, Mike. At least, I am guessing you know
almost everyone in "town". I'm suppressing my jealousy on that ...

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"CW" wrote in
m:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 19:13:05 -0700, "CW" wrote:

The town I live in is a fleck on the map. Less than 2500 population
and it has grown considerably since I've lived here. We don't even
have a gas station.

Our town is going to crap. When I moved here 31 years ago, we had
more liquor stores than traffic lights. Same number of liquor stores,
but a hell of a lot more traffic lights. We even have a McDonalds
now.
When I moved here about 20 years ago, we did not even have a traffic
light. Just a few flashing reds. We got our first one about five years
ago. We're squeezed between 2 towns and a hill. We can't get any
bigger.

Here we are having a fight over a traffic light, well, it's part of a
bigger fight over Landmark's new development of 165 housing units. A
traffic light from 30 or more years ago probably can't be upgraded to
provide left turn only signals, and who is going to pay for a new one?

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:

Here we are having a fight over a traffic light, well, it's part of a
bigger fight over Landmark's new development of 165 housing units. A
traffic light from 30 or more years ago probably can't be upgraded to
provide left turn only signals, and who is going to pay for a new one?

165 Housing Units? Fercryinoutloud - we'd have to build a new Wal-Mart if
we had that kind of explosive growth...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 20:56:53 -0700, "CW" wrote:

.. .

================================================= ===============
When I moved here about 20 years ago, we did not even have a traffic light.
Just a few flashing reds. We got our first one about five years ago. We're
squeezed between 2 towns and a hill. We can't get any bigger.

I'm 6 miles out of town and they just got the first traffic light this
spring, and sewers a couple years ago.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike M wrote:

I'm 6 miles out of town and they just got the first traffic light this
spring, and sewers a couple years ago.

Sewers? Those old ladies that sew things together? Oh hell - we've had
those for a long time. You guys are really backwards!

--

-Mike-