Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ping: Dave Liquorice or Dave Plowman

I have a problem with my Android phone. It's an Orange San Francisco and in
many respects it's a brilliant bit of kit. It costs less than a hundred
quid, is highly customizable and does loads of things. Unfortunately for me,
the problem I have is fundamental to its basic existance as a phone - the
ringer volume is not loud enough!! :-(

It's great in a quiet room but on the street or in a busy pub there's no
chance of hearing it. A lot of people on the Modaco forums are complaining
about it and it seems that the guys on there have partially solved the
problem in a new ROM, but for reasons too lengthy to mention here I don't
want to change ROMs.

Someone suggested a possible solution would be to take a ringtone (I'm using
the 'digital phone' at the moment but also have a recording of a BT type 706
phone ringing, which I like) and re-record it at a higher volume. I don't
know how the phone itself would handle this but my actual question is, is it
possible to take one recording and re-record it louder, and if so, what
software would I need to do this?

Cheers chaps

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 11:14:19 -0000, "Manticore" wrote:

I don't
know how the phone itself would handle this but my actual question is, is it
possible to take one recording and re-record it louder, and if so, what
software would I need to do this?

If using windows, the low-budget way: "sndrec32.exe". There's a "increase volume
by 25%" thing in one of the menus, and it can be applied repeatedly.

No gurantees or representations as to quality etc., mind.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Thomas Prufer" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 11:14:19 -0000, "Manticore" wrote:

I don't
know how the phone itself would handle this but my actual question is, is
it
possible to take one recording and re-record it louder, and if so, what
software would I need to do this?

If using windows, the low-budget way: "sndrec32.exe". There's a "increase
volume
by 25%" thing in one of the menus, and it can be applied repeatedly.

No gurantees or representations as to quality etc., mind.

Cheers Thomas, thanks for that - seems like a very easy way to do what I
want. I'll have to see about quality but in this case, quantity wins over
quality anyway :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Manticore wrote:
"Thomas Prufer" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 11:14:19 -0000, "Manticore" wrote:

I don't
know how the phone itself would handle this but my actual question is, is
it
possible to take one recording and re-record it louder, and if so, what
software would I need to do this?

If using windows, the low-budget way: "sndrec32.exe". There's a "increase
volume
by 25%" thing in one of the menus, and it can be applied repeatedly.

No gurantees or representations as to quality etc., mind.

Cheers Thomas, thanks for that - seems like a very easy way to do what I
want. I'll have to see about quality but in this case, quantity wins over
quality anyway :-)

If it's the same recording I got off the web, it's already at full
scale, anyway, so you'll not be able to get it louder.

If it's an MP3 recording, then Audacity will do it natively. There is
also a tag for gain in the mp3 metadata, which can be altered. This may
increase the volume if the Android playback mechanism can support it.

Other than that, it's a common problem I've found with new phones.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Manticore wrote:
Someone suggested a possible solution would be to take a ringtone (I'm
using the 'digital phone' at the moment but also have a recording of a
BT type 706 phone ringing, which I like) and re-record it at a higher
volume. I don't know how the phone itself would handle this but my
actual question is, is it possible to take one recording and re-record
it louder, and if so, what software would I need to do this?

My guess is this wouldn't help much. It's likely to be the sounder or the
amp driving it that's not up to the job rather than the signal level.

However, pretty well any software designed for recording an audio signal
will have the ability to alter the level.

--
*It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

Is it the 'loudness' you want to increase, or the 'noticability'?

If the latter, and the loudness as as good as it gets (ie. the MP3 is
already normalised to 100%) you might be better off tinkering with the
frequency spectrum of the ringtone. I'm guessing that the higher
frequencies get better reproduced by the Android 'speaker' than the
lower, so performing the equivalent of a 'turn the treble up' via
Audacity or similar might improve matters for you.

I also suspect that there are cleverer tricks to improve the
noticability, along the lines of simulating a clipping transducer, but
I don't know for sure.

I have a fairly low-frequency ringtone on my ancient Nokia, and it's
not very noticable. I keep meaning to do something similar with
that...

HTH
J^n

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jkn wrote:
Is it the 'loudness' you want to increase, or the 'noticability'?

If the latter, and the loudness as as good as it gets (ie. the MP3 is
already normalised to 100%) you might be better off tinkering with the
frequency spectrum of the ringtone. I'm guessing that the higher
frequencies get better reproduced by the Android 'speaker' than the
lower, so performing the equivalent of a 'turn the treble up' via
Audacity or similar might improve matters for you.

I also suspect that there are cleverer tricks to improve the
noticability, along the lines of simulating a clipping transducer, but
I don't know for sure.

I have a fairly low-frequency ringtone on my ancient Nokia, and it's
not very noticable. I keep meaning to do something similar with
that...

The 706 bell sound has a useful spectral range for cutting through
background, and is very noticeable, certainly on all the phones I've
tried. The Trimphone ring sound also cuts through background noise quite
well, but can be hard to locate.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Williamson" wrote in message
jkn wrote:
[...]

Thanks everyone for all the input :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 25 Mar,
"Manticore" wrote:

possible to take one recording and re-record it louder, and if so, what
software would I need to do this?

blue_peter
Here's one I prepared earlier
http://www.planet3.dyndns.org/706_bell3.mp3
/blue_peter

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Manticore wrote:

I have a problem with my Android phone. - the
ringer volume is not loud enough!! :-(
Someone suggested a possible solution would be to take a ringtone
and re-record it at a higher volume, what
software would I need to do this?

Audacity (available for most O/S) try the compressor/amplify/normalise
effects ...