Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - May be one for Dave Plowman - Microphones

I recently decided I'd have a go at learning to play guitar and, apart from
just the trouble of learning the thing itself (man, I've got a new-found
respect for all guitarists out there :-)) I'm being hindered by some
clicking and grinding going on in the wrist of my fretting hand - and this
isn't being caused by the guitar, it was there beforehand.

It's hard to describe and there's no audible sound coming from the joints,
it's just something I feel. So I was just wondering about strapping some
sort of microphone to my wrist and feed it into the guitar amp or maybe
recording it, just so that my guitar teacher doesn't think I'm slacking on
practice time when he sees that I've not made much progress - not that he
would anyway but I'm just curious to see if I can hear what I can feel :-)

Obviously, I don't want to spend a great lot of money on this as I'll
probably never find another use for the microphone after this so can Dave or
anyone suggest a suitably low-cost mic?

Cheers and TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 20, 3:16*pm, "Pete Zahut" wrote:
[...]

If all you want to do is record the noise, a pair of lightweight
headphones can be used as a mic.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Zahut wrote:
[...]

A boundary mic would be perfect. Strap it to the back of your wrist.
Experiment with covering/not covering the holes on top.

http://www.dv247.com/microphones/sony-ecm-f8--42544 is a table top
microphone, but not necessarily a boundary mic.

for a bit more dosh,
http://www.dv247.com/microphones/aud...rophone--67453
( http://preview.tinyurl.com/244rh2y ) is a proper boundary mic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Osborne wrote:
Pete Zahut wrote:
[...]

Thanks Dave. Not sure what a "boundary" microphone is, but if you think
that's what I need, would this one at CPC do it?
http://cpc.farnell.com/_/em-018/mini...one/dp/MP33854

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 16:23:14 +0100, Dave Osborne wrote:

It's hard to describe and there's no audible sound coming from the

joints, it's just something I feel.

A boundary mic would be perfect. Strap it to the back of your wrist.
Experiment with covering/not covering the holes on top.

I doubt it. A boundary mic is just a small omni capsule with it's
diaphragm mounted a mm or two above a hard surface.

As there is no audible sound an normal mic isn't going to work very
well. I think I'd play about with a cheap stethoscope and sticking a
personal mic into the end of the tube. I think you'll need to have
the diaphragm side of the 'scope against your wrist and the hole on
the other side blocked up, but experiment is the best course.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 16:23:14 +0100, Dave Osborne wrote:

It's hard to describe and there's no audible sound coming from the

joints, it's just something I feel.

A boundary mic would be perfect. Strap it to the back of your wrist.
Experiment with covering/not covering the holes on top.

I doubt it. A boundary mic is just a small omni capsule with it's
diaphragm mounted a mm or two above a hard surface.

As there is no audible sound an normal mic isn't going to work very
well. I think I'd play about with a cheap stethoscope and sticking a
personal mic into the end of the tube. I think you'll need to have
the diaphragm side of the 'scope against your wrist and the hole on
the other side blocked up, but experiment is the best course.

Now there's a thought. Cheers Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Pete Zahut wrote:
Obviously, I don't want to spend a great lot of money on this as I'll
probably never find another use for the microphone after this so can
Dave or anyone suggest a suitably low-cost mic?

Sorry to be late replying, but to me a cheap mic is one costing hundreds
rather than thousands. ;-)

Others seem to have covered it.

--
*Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 20, 5:07*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 16:23:14 +0100, Dave Osborne wrote:
It's hard to describe and there's no audible sound coming from the
joints, it's just something I feel.

A boundary mic would be perfect. Strap it to the back of your wrist.
Experiment with covering/not covering the holes on top.

I doubt it. A boundary mic is just a small omni capsule with it's
diaphragm mounted a mm or two above a hard surface.

As there is no audible sound an normal mic isn't going to work very
well. I think I'd play about with a cheap stethoscope and sticking a
personal mic into the end of the tube. I think you'll need to have
the diaphragm side of the 'scope against your wrist and the hole on
the other side blocked up, but experiment is the best course.

Whatever method you use, I'm not seeing a point in buying a mic when
you'll already have an acceptable one and the job doesn't require any
special quality.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Don't know what you mean there Tabby as I haven't got any microphones in the
house?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Pete Zahut wrote:
Obviously, I don't want to spend a great lot of money on this as I'll
probably never find another use for the microphone after this so can
Dave or anyone suggest a suitably low-cost mic?

Sorry to be late replying, but to me a cheap mic is one costing
hundreds rather than thousands. ;-)

Others seem to have covered it.

Love it, cheers Dave :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

no headphones?
I'm NT

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Aha, all becomes clear now! Putting 2 and 2 together, your post suggested
detail that I hadn't seen so I've just looked at GoogleGroups and found your
original reply about the headphones that you posted yesterday - my newsfeed
hasn't got that message, or not that I can see anyway.

I'm pleased to say though that I have got a cheapy set of headphones for the
pooter - just tried your suggestion and it does indeed work!! Cheers my
friend :-)