Default Our own Dave Plowman vs Eddie Mayer

I dunno. We pays our licence fee, we puts up with manky pseudo-diy on the
goggle box, we keeps faith with the Beeb even when it rolls over all
wimpy in the prelude to Hutton. But when our own resident audio engineer
puts a perfectly *reasonable* question to PM - viz., "just *which* make
of shielded omni mic is it which brings us Big Ben", listing a number of
plausible candidates including a venerable Audio Technica model, does
Eddie Mayer (or however he wants his name spelt) come up with the goods?
No, he does not. He turns down this burning question with a one word
answer (Dave had asked, "you have no idea how much speculation... can
you please find out...", and the smartarse one-word reply was, "No.").

I hereby curse the Mayer to suffer three years of pipe bursts (that's
the milder sanction: the initial impulse to subject him to 24 hours in
the company of our resident shoulder-chipped grotty-uni-HVAC-graduate
struck me on a moment's reflection as far too Cruel and Unusual ;-)

Stefek
BigWallop

wrote in message
[...]

Eaeeh ? Have I missed something ? as usual.....(coat..... getting......)

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

ARWadsworth

"BigWallop" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

you have to listen to radio 4. Not old enough mate.

--
Adam

Mary Fisher

"BigWallop" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

I heard it.

The question was as boring as the answer.

Mary

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

I hereby curse the Mayer

By the way, it's Mair, Eddie Mair.

Mary

mike ring

"ARWadsworth" wrote in
:

you have to listen to radio 4. Not old enough mate.

--
Adam

Can't stand radio 4 any more, it's been dumbed down far too much for far
too long.

mike r
Dave Plowman

In article ,
wrote:
I hereby curse the Mayer to suffer three years of pipe bursts (that's
the milder sanction: the initial impulse to subject him to 24 hours in
the company of our resident shoulder-chipped grotty-uni-HVAC-graduate
struck me on a moment's reflection as far too Cruel and Unusual ;-)

No please - I'm one of Eddie Mair's biggest fans. He's brought a breeze of
fresh air to PM with his dry wit. My only regret is the loss of him on
'Broadcasting House'.

--
*I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect*

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
I heard it.

The question was as boring as the answer.

Luckily, I can't be held responsible for their choice of material.

--
*Modulation in all things *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

In uk.d-i-y, Dave Plowman wrote:

No please - I'm one of Eddie Mair's biggest fans. He's brought a breeze of
fresh air to PM with his dry wit. My only regret is the loss of him on
'Broadcasting House'.

Fairy neuf (she's right next to the ouze'th one). But I do regret them
moving from two presenters to a single one: the single presenting voice
leads inevitably to a degree of over-familiarity with that presenter's
tone and quirks. Much more interesting to get the swap of voices and
approaches, and allows for a bit of interaction between the presenters.

Still, the savings over a year doubtless pay for a few more days' management
consultancy, to determine the terms of reference for appointments to the
committee which will determine the composition of the task force which will
outline the parameters under which the cross-cutting work group will examine
the possibilities of reducing the variety of cold drinks made available to
interview guests...

Stefek
BigWallop

wrote in message
In uk.d-i-y, Dave Plowman wrote:

[...]

And then after all that it comes down to one guy who signs the delivery
sheet and tells the driver not to bring any more orange because they've got
enough just now. :-))

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Mary Fisher

"mike ring" wrote in message
52.50...
"ARWadsworth" wrote in
:

you have to listen to radio 4. Not old enough mate.

--
Adam

Can't stand radio 4 any more, it's been dumbed down far too much for far
too long.

It did go through that period but have you tried it recently?

Mary

mike r

Mary Fisher

wrote in message
In uk.d-i-y, Dave Plowman wrote:

No please - I'm one of Eddie Mair's biggest fans. He's brought a breeze

of
fresh air to PM with his dry wit. My only regret is the loss of him on
'Broadcasting House'.

Fairy neuf (she's right next to the ouze'th one). But I do regret them
moving from two presenters to a single one: the single presenting voice
leads inevitably to a degree of over-familiarity with that presenter's
tone and quirks. Much more interesting to get the swap of voices and
approaches, and allows for a bit of interaction between the presenters.

Trouble with that is that it becomes full of in-jokes, merry quips which are
irritating for the listener.

Still, the savings over a year doubtless pay for a few more days'

management
consultancy, to determine the terms of reference for appointments to the
committee which will determine the composition of the task force which

will
outline the parameters under which the cross-cutting work group will

examine
the possibilities of reducing the variety of cold drinks made available to
interview guests...

That's a fair point. I'll try to remember that when I shout at the set.

Mary

Stefek

mike ring

"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:btomrd$9ogtj$1@ID-
182904.news.uni-berlin.de:

Can't stand radio 4 any more, it's been dumbed down far too much for far
too long.

It did go through that period but have you tried it recently?

Mary

Pretty well every morning, it's one of those I cycle through to escape

dumbness

political correctness

the ever more incomprehensible and invasive Scotch

snideness and sneers

overproduced and repetitive adverts (sorry, trails)

yet more identical news bulletins containing speculation and interpretation
but no facts

knee-jerk anti American and Israel -ism

etc etc

Adn Especially Libby wossnames "lively conversations with interesting
luvvies" on Wednesday mornings - surely the ASA or Trades Descriptions
should prosecute

mike r

Mary Fisher

"mike ring" wrote in message
52.50...
"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:btomrd$9ogtj$1@ID-
182904.news.uni-berlin.de:

Can't stand radio 4 any more, it's been dumbed down far too much for

far
too long.

It did go through that period but have you tried it recently?

Mary

Pretty well every morning, it's one of those I cycle through to escape

dumbness

I don't think it's dumb.

political correctness

No more than anywhere else.

the ever more incomprehensible and invasive Scotch

Invasive yes, incomprehensible no.

snideness and sneers

You're talking about John Humphrys I guess, he's a pain.

overproduced and repetitive adverts (sorry, trails)

I agree 100%

yet more identical news bulletins containing speculation and

interpretation
but no facts

You get that on all stations I should think.

knee-jerk anti American and Israel -ism

Haven't noticed that.

etc etc

Adn Especially Libby wossnames "lively conversations with interesting
luvvies" on Wednesday mornings - surely the ASA or Trades Descriptions
should prosecute

Libby Purves. I remember her when she was seventeen and wrote for Punch.

But yes, her prog's on when I do noisy tasks. Not only luvvy but she always
has some boating guest. When it was Des Pawson, the fascinating knot chap,
he had about two minutes right at the end.

I suspect you listen to more than you claim if you've formed an opinion on
all those matters. But in any case, they're only a very small part of the
output and there are some excellent programmes.

Mary

Phil Addison

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 20:26:58 GMT, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

"BigWallop" wrote in message

wrote in message

Stefek

Eaeeh ? Have I missed something ? as usual.....(coat..... getting......)

you have to listen to radio 4. Not old enough mate.

Is there a url for this exchange?

Phil