Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Things sometimes come back around...

A long time ago, I sold a Craftsman 8" tablesaw to a friend for a song. It
was a saw that my dad had bought when he was building our house, and it had
made its way to my garage over the years. I had always regretted selling it
instead of just giving it to my own son. Well... said friend is in the
process of divorcing his wife and preparing to clear out of Dodge. In
conversation with him, I offered to buy the saw back for whatever price he
wanted - just because I wanted to pass it on to my son. Low and behold, he
says "No Way!" - "I'll just load the saw into my truck and take it over and
give it to your son - that's how it should be".

I know - it's kind of a dumb little story, but it's pretty big for me.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/14/12 2:42 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
A long time ago, I sold a Craftsman 8" tablesaw to a friend for a song. It
was a saw that my dad had bought when he was building our house, and it had
made its way to my garage over the years. I had always regretted selling it
instead of just giving it to my own son. Well... said friend is in the
process of divorcing his wife and preparing to clear out of Dodge. In
conversation with him, I offered to buy the saw back for whatever price he
wanted - just because I wanted to pass it on to my son. Low and behold, he
says "No Way!" - "I'll just load the saw into my truck and take it over and
give it to your son - that's how it should be".

I know - it's kind of a dumb little story, but it's pretty big for me.

Not dumb at all... touching.... but in my sitcom brain I can't help but
get a chuckle out of your last quote... "I'll just load the saw into my
truck and take it over and give it to your son - that's how it should be"

Nothing cements the father-son relationship like the time honored
tradition of having your newly divorced buddy deliver your long lost
table saw to your son's place as he's hightailing it out of town to
avoid his ex-wife's layers. That could be on a greeting card! :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
A long time ago, I sold a Craftsman 8" tablesaw to a friend for a song. It
was a saw that my dad had bought when he was building our house, and it had
made its way to my garage over the years. I had always regretted selling it
instead of just giving it to my own son. Well... said friend is in the
process of divorcing his wife and preparing to clear out of Dodge. In
conversation with him, I offered to buy the saw back for whatever price he
wanted - just because I wanted to pass it on to my son. Low and behold, he
says "No Way!" - "I'll just load the saw into my truck and take it over and
give it to your son - that's how it should be".

I know - it's kind of a dumb little story, but it's pretty big for me.

Congratulations on getting your saw back!

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

A long time ago, I sold a Craftsman 8" tablesaw to a friend for a
song. It was a saw that my dad had bought when he was building our
house, and it had made its way to my garage over the years. I had
always regretted selling it instead of just giving it to my own son.
Well... said friend is in the process of divorcing his wife and
preparing to clear out of Dodge. In conversation with him, I offered
to buy the saw back for whatever price he wanted - just because I
wanted to pass it on to my son. Low and behold, he says "No Way!" -
"I'll just load the saw into my truck and take it over and give it to
your son - that's how it should be".

I know - it's kind of a dumb little story, but it's pretty big for me.

It is a big story. Congratulations!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/14/2012 2:42 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
A long time ago, I sold a Craftsman 8" tablesaw to a friend for a song. It
was a saw that my dad had bought when he was building our house, and it had
made its way to my garage over the years. I had always regretted selling it
instead of just giving it to my own son. Well... said friend is in the
process of divorcing his wife and preparing to clear out of Dodge. In
conversation with him, I offered to buy the saw back for whatever price he
wanted - just because I wanted to pass it on to my son. Low and behold, he
says "No Way!" - "I'll just load the saw into my truck and take it over and
give it to your son - that's how it should be".

I know - it's kind of a dumb little story, but it's pretty big for me.

Karma is never dumb, Mike.

"Things have a way of working out right".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 15:42:14 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

A long time ago, I sold a Craftsman 8" tablesaw to a friend for a song. It
was a saw that my dad had bought when he was building our house, and it had
made its way to my garage over the years. I had always regretted selling it
instead of just giving it to my own son. Well... said friend is in the
process of divorcing his wife and preparing to clear out of Dodge. In
conversation with him, I offered to buy the saw back for whatever price he
wanted - just because I wanted to pass it on to my son. Low and behold, he
says "No Way!" - "I'll just load the saw into my truck and take it over and
give it to your son - that's how it should be".

I know - it's kind of a dumb little story, but it's pretty big for me.

Nice. Shame about the divorce, but it puts friendship into
perspective.
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

I know! There is something not-quite-right about the whole thing, isn't
there? Oh well - I'm not going to question it. I never should have sold
the saw and should have given it to my son, and I'm just happy that it's all
working out now.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/14/2012 5:10 PM, Richard wrote:
[...]

Many years ago my Dad bought a 12 foot Shasta Travel trailer. After
using it for several years he sold it and bought a larger one.

About 8 years later his brother invited him to come up and see his "new"
trailer. We do not know where the trailer had been during those 8 years
but when we arrived at his brothers there it was in his drive.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
A long time ago, I sold a Craftsman 8" tablesaw to a friend for a song.
It was a saw that my dad had bought when he was building our house, and it
had made its way to my garage over the years. I had always regretted
selling it instead of just giving it to my own son. Well... said friend
is in the process of divorcing his wife and preparing to clear out of
Dodge. In conversation with him, I offered to buy the saw back for
whatever price he wanted - just because I wanted to pass it on to my son.
Low and behold, he says "No Way!" - "I'll just load the saw into my truck
and take it over and give it to your son - that's how it should be".

There ya go. Keep it in the family. Your dad, you and your son have all
used it. Also a brother got to use it far awhile. Truly a family type of
thing. You should feel good. Nothing like family!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote the following on 8/14/2012 4:08 PM (ET):
[...]

ex-wife's 'layers' or 'lawyers', or both?

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/14/12 7:01 PM, willshak wrote:
[...]

Nice... bonus typo euphemism. 10pts.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Absolutley not, it's the way it should be.
It's like borrowing a buddies truck with a half a tank of gas in it and
returning it with a full tank.
Take him out before he leaves and buy him a beer or three.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

A long time ago, I sold a Craftsman 8" tablesaw to a friend for a song. It
was a saw that my dad had bought when he was building our house, and it had
made its way to my garage over the years. I had always regretted selling it
instead of just giving it to my own son. Well... said friend is in the
process of divorcing his wife and preparing to clear out of Dodge. In
conversation with him, I offered to buy the saw back for whatever price he
wanted - just because I wanted to pass it on to my son. Low and behold, he
says "No Way!" - "I'll just load the saw into my truck and take it over and
give it to your son - that's how it should be".

I know - it's kind of a dumb little story, but it's pretty big for me.

--

-Mike-

Good friends are great. In about 1972 I moved to a high altitude mountain
town in Colorado. Bought a small snow blower to clean the heavy snows off
the roof. Did not handle the 2 foot snows. Best friend moved to a larger
house with a large driveway in another town. I gave him the snow blower.
About 15 years later I retired and moved to a lower altitude where snow was
lighter. He also moved to Oregon an area that got no snow. Gave the snow
blower back to me. SO things do come back around. WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

I had a good day today. Now it's better. It's always good to hear of
a good ending.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
A long time ago, I sold a Craftsman 8" tablesaw to a friend for a
song. It was a saw that my dad had bought when he was building our
house, and it had made its way to my garage over the years. I had
always regretted selling it instead of just giving it to my own son.
Well... said friend is in the process of divorcing his wife and
preparing to clear out of Dodge. In conversation with him, I
offered to buy the saw back for whatever price he wanted - just
because I wanted to pass it on to my son. Low and behold, he says
"No Way!" - "I'll just load the saw into my truck and take it over
and give it to your son - that's how it should be".

There ya go. Keep it in the family. Your dad, you and your son have
all used it. Also a brother got to use it far awhile. Truly a
family type of thing. You should feel good. Nothing like family!

Thanks Lee - and you are right... Nothing like family!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

sal wrote:
Hi Mike it certainly worked out well,that's a real friend for you.

Sal

You are correct Sal - he really is a good friend.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
A long time ago, I sold a Craftsman 8" tablesaw to a friend for a
song. It was a saw that my dad had bought when he was building our
house, and it had made its way to my garage over the years. I had
always regretted selling it instead of just giving it to my own son.
Well... said friend is in the process of divorcing his wife and
preparing to clear out of Dodge. In conversation with him, I offered
to buy the saw back for whatever price he wanted - just because I
wanted to pass it on to my son. Low and behold, he says "No Way!" -
"I'll just load the saw into my truck and take it over and give it to
your son - that's how it should be".
I know - it's kind of a dumb little story, but it's pretty big for me.

A chap I used to work with had a similar story. It seems a girl he casually
dated gave him Gonorreah!

After the diagnosis, he told her. She was astonished and promised quick
treatment. He didn't see her for about three months. When they next got
together, he asked her about her condition. She emphatically stated that she
was cured! With that assurance, he had another romp of sex with her.

The next day, he started his treatment regimen.

Posted to rec.woodworking

A long time ago, I sold a Craftsman 8" tablesaw to a friend for a song. It
was a saw that my dad had bought when he was building our house, and it had
made its way to my garage over the years. I had always regretted selling it
instead of just giving it to my own son. Well... said friend is in the
process of divorcing his wife and preparing to clear out of Dodge. In
conversation with him, I offered to buy the saw back for whatever price he
wanted - just because I wanted to pass it on to my son. Low and behold, he
says "No Way!" - "I'll just load the saw into my truck and take it over and
give it to your son - that's how it should be".

I know - it's kind of a dumb little story, but it's pretty big for me.
Mike Marlow

That's a great story Mike. It's really the way things should be and I
am glad to hear when it happens.

Last year my father-in-law passed away. He had cancer, started in his
bladder and spread quickly. From September to March and gone. We did
what we could to help him; emotionally, physically and financially.

After he passed, we sought to gather our things from his farm, but his
second wife would not hear of it. We managed to get our 1983 popup
camper but she kept and sold everything else.

I can live with the loss of tools given to me from my own father, but
I felt, and still feel, badly that my husband could not get anything
from his father, not even old photos. I do not nor ever will
understand the greed that some people suffer.

I hope your son gets many years of use from your saw.
`Casper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 07:51:12 -0500, "HeyBub"
was cured! With that assurance, he had another romp of sex with her.
The next day, he started his treatment regimen.

So what's the similar story ~ what goes around, comes around?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Casper wrote:

That's a great story Mike. It's really the way things should be and I
am glad to hear when it happens.

Yeah - it's great when things come around. I had regretted not giving that
saw to my son years ago, on many occassions.

Last year my father-in-law passed away. He had cancer, started in his
bladder and spread quickly. From September to March and gone. We did
what we could to help him; emotionally, physically and financially.

Sorry to hear that.

After he passed, we sought to gather our things from his farm, but his
second wife would not hear of it. We managed to get our 1983 popup
camper but she kept and sold everything else.

I can live with the loss of tools given to me from my own father, but
I felt, and still feel, badly that my husband could not get anything
from his father, not even old photos. I do not nor ever will
understand the greed that some people suffer.

In my household, we understand that. We are the ones that do not work hard
to get our hands on everything we want. It has cost us a lot over the
years, but - oh, well... We have watched while a family member has
manipulated and controlled things such that my mother (who is 83 and suffers
from dementia) is pretty much just a tennant in her own life now. Her
house, car, investments, etc. have all been signed over to this person, and
many things that would be of interest or of value to us as family, have been
taken from the house. It just goes that way in families I guess. It is
funny to speak with the person responsible for taking everything away from
my mother, and to hear all of the repeated justifications, etc. and the
assurances that they are only doing what's good for mom (because they
care...), and all that crap. Guilty conscience and all that. Oh well -
what goes around comes around.

I hope your son gets many years of use from your saw.
`Casper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:
On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 07:51:12 -0500, "HeyBub"
was cured! With that assurance, he had another romp of sex with her.
The next day, he started his treatment regimen.

So what's the similar story ~ what goes around, comes around?

The difference between gonorrhea and true love - gonorrhea is forever!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 10:01:41 -0400, Casper
from his father, not even old photos. I do not nor ever will
understand the greed that some people suffer.

Possibly, your husband was at fault for not maintaining a good
relationship with his mother. Without further details, we are left
guessing the rest of the story.

I was put into a similar situation with my brother. Some relatives
think I'm greedy and self serving when it comes to dealing with him.
But they don't know, (and I'm not inclined to explain to them) that
the only time my brother has ever had anything to do with me is when
he wanted something ~ usually money.

After a certain point, I refused to give in to his requests for help.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/15/2012 10:21 AM, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 10:01:41 -0400, Casper
from his father, not even old photos. I do not nor ever will
understand the greed that some people suffer.

Possibly, your husband was at fault for not maintaining a good
relationship with his mother. Without further details, we are left
guessing the rest of the story.

I was put into a similar situation with my brother. Some relatives
think I'm greedy and self serving when it comes to dealing with him.
But they don't know, (and I'm not inclined to explain to them) that
the only time my brother has ever had anything to do with me is when
he wanted something ~ usually money.

After a certain point, I refused to give in to his requests for help.

Dave you didn't read carefully, it was his dad's second wife.
Not his mother.

And obviously she was a bitch..
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 20:26:12 -0400, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com
Dave you didn't read carefully, it was his dad's second wife.
Not his mother.

And obviously she was a bitch..

Ok, my mistake then. I thought it was his mother that was being
discussed.

And you're right about some of them being bitches. My only knowledge
of a second wife was that of a close friend. He died at the age of 41
leaving his wife and his 14 year son from his first wife. She refused
completely to give any family mementos of her dead husband to his
young son. Made me sick thinking about it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 10:01:41 -0400, Casper wrote:

[...]

We had a situation sorta the reverse of that. My MIL got remarried and the
two of them spent a decade ****ing away every cent they had, including the
proceeds from her house and mortgaged his to the hilt (both were free and
clear before). When she passed away the kids on the other side were mad at us
for getting everything (we let them take anything they wanted of his, out of
the house - and they took more). "Everything" was just about enough to cover
the expenses. We were stuck cleaning out the house and making the repairs
necessary to sell it (not a trivial thing, living 1000 miles away).

Posted to rec.woodworking

from his father, not even old photos. I do not nor ever will
understand the greed that some people suffer.

Possibly, your husband was at fault for not maintaining a good
relationship with his mother. Without further details, we are left
guessing the rest of the story.

Stepmother.. but he never lived with her as he was already 18 when his
parents divorced. He stayed with his real mother married.

I was put into a similar situation with my brother. Some relatives
think I'm greedy and self serving when it comes to dealing with him.
But they don't know, (and I'm not inclined to explain to them) that
the only time my brother has ever had anything to do with me is when
he wanted something ~ usually money.

Let me put it another way...

Stepmom had already left him twice for some old flame in Florida and
he took her back because the other guy kicked her out as she has no
money. He took care of her completely. Cooked, cleaned, did all the
chores, etc. When he found out about his cancer, she didn't want to
deal with him. They got asked to leave the nursing home and had to do
hospice at home and she complained every day.

While I was present, she would run out for hours to do errands? Come
home with cases of ice cream bars, 1 pound cans of propane (for the
tiny heater she put next to him because she turned off the main heat)
and other assorted junk, when money was tight. She fed him her
medications (and other drugs) even tho he kept refusing. She fed him
canned soup waterd down, 1 per day and juice. She made no effort to
provide him real nutrition. I offered to prepare and give him real
food that he could keep down and give him nutrients and she became
angry with me and refused to allow me come back to help.

That shed any more light on the matter?

After a certain point, I refused to give in to his requests for help.

I don't blame you. I would too.

My husband didn't have a great relationship with his father after and
because of the divorce. I encouraged my husband to try but it's hard
to do when your calls are not returned.

Then one month his father started calling every week and stopping by
randomly saysing he was in the area. For a few short months their
relationship improved tremendously. I told my husband something was
wrong. People don't change without reason.

In september of that year Dad went to have his bladder checked and the
xray showed cancer spread to his lungs, stomach andother organs.
Further xrays showed it reasched his brain. Chemo was so hard it took
almost 70 punds off him in 4 months and he was under 200 to start.

We visted him every day at the hospital nursing home. We all did
because that's what family should do.

I'm sorry if I have babbled too long or explained too much but it
disturbes me greatly when people blatantly get away with chit by
controlling things they should never be in control of, ergo stepmom.
Sounds like you unfortunately understand first hand and I am sorry for
that. No one should have to deal with the greedy, petty selfish crap,
especially when it involves life and death. Life is too short.

`Casper