Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Today Is A good Day

Especially if it's your birthday.

75 candles on my cake today.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:500da9f4$0$1743
:

Especially if it's your birthday.

75 candles on my cake today.

Lew

Happy Birthday, Lew!!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/23/2012 2:45 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Especially if it's your birthday.

75 candles on my cake today.

Happy Birthday, you old reprobate!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Happy Birthday, Lew.

75, aye? A good day, indeed. A toast, for many more!

Wooden candles wouldn't be OT.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Today Is A good Day

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Especially if it's your birthday.

75 candles on my cake today.

Well then - happy birthday to you! Many more coming your way, I hope.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Especially if it's your birthday.

75 candles on my cake today.

Lew

Happy one! Hope you have a lot more.

Mine was the 12th (only 72 candles). I remembered today that my
driver's license expires on my birthday. More bad news--new law
requires birth certificate or current passport, proof of SS number,
two items of proof of current address. This is for new or renewal of
DL. The lines used to be long, now they are said to be unending.

--
G.W. Ross

It's amazing how much mature wisdom
resembles being too tired.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/23/2012 2:45 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Especially if it's your birthday.

75 candles on my cake today.

Lew

Be careful. If we all start singing it could cause a natural disaster!

But Happy Birthday.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
b.com...
Especially if it's your birthday.

75 candles on my cake today.

As long as you can still count that high, it is a good thing.

Happy Birthday ya old fart!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/23/2012 4:14 PM, G. Ross wrote:

Mine was the 12th (only 72 candles). I remembered today that my
driver's license expires on my birthday. More bad news--new law
requires birth certificate or current passport, proof of SS number, two
items of proof of current address. This is for new or renewal of DL.
The lines used to be long, now they are said to be unending.

Hell, if you don't need all that to vote ... providing you're
demographically suspected of being a Democrat, that is.

Mine expired next month, except I took advantage of the ability to renew
it early online about three months back ... and immediately got
questioned when I presented it because it expires in August 2018, three
months greater than the usual six year term.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

On 7/23/2012 4:14 PM, G. Ross wrote:

Mine was the 12th (only 72 candles). I remembered today that my
driver's license expires on my birthday. More bad news--new law
requires birth certificate or current passport, proof of SS number,
two items of proof of current address. This is for new or renewal of
DL. The lines used to be long, now they are said to be unending.

Hell, if you don't need all that to vote ... providing you're
demographically suspected of being a Democrat, that is.

Mine expired next month, except I took advantage of the ability to
renew it early online about three months back ... and immediately got
questioned when I presented it because it expires in August 2018,
three months greater than the usual six year term.

I remember I needed something like those documents Ross mentioned to
renew my NJ driver's license a few years ago (because NJ intend(ed) to
have a NJ DL comply with standards for a national ID).

To vote, I walk or bicycle over and identify my listing in the book of
registered voters (no, that is my wife, and that is my daughter), then
sign 2 or 3 times. At least one of the people manning the polling place
usually recognizes me.

Note that now the US is the only country where you can walk on the street
and not have to be able to prove your identity to an agent of the
authorities, unless there is reasonable suspicion you have done something
unlawful. Until a few years ago that could be said of the Netherlands as
well, but they complied with EU regulations, and now you have to have
identity papers on you. Not sure what exactly is required over there as
a minimum.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article m,
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Especially if it's your birthday.

75 candles on my cake today.

Lew

So, how much did a gallon of gasoline cost in 1955?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"G. Ross" wrote:
Happy one! Hope you have a lot more.

Mine was the 12th (only 72 candles). I remembered today that my
driver's license expires on my birthday. More bad news--new law
requires birth certificate or current passport, proof of SS number,
two items of proof of current address. This is for new or renewal
of DL. The lines used to be long, now they are said to be unending.

-----------------------------
Hasn't the ACLU gone after the state of Georgia yet?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Note that now the US is the only country where you can walk on the street
and not have to be able to prove your identity to an agent of the
authorities, unless there is reasonable suspicion you have done something
unlawful. Until a few years ago that could be said of the Netherlands as
well, but they complied with EU regulations, and now you have to have
identity papers on you. Not sure what exactly is required over there as
a minimum.

Han,

At what age are you required to start carrying papers?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
On 7/23/2012 4:14 PM, G. Ross wrote:

Mine was the 12th (only 72 candles). I remembered today that my
driver's license expires on my birthday. More bad news--new law
requires birth certificate or current passport, proof of SS number, two
items of proof of current address. This is for new or renewal of DL.
The lines used to be long, now they are said to be unending.

Hell, if you don't need all that to vote ... providing you're
demographically suspected of being a Democrat, that is.

Mine expired next month, except I took advantage of the ability to renew
it early online about three months back ... and immediately got
questioned when I presented it because it expires in August 2018, three
months greater than the usual six year term.

I used to renew online, but in GA you can't do that over age 59
because they want to "check your vision". Probably want to see if you
are really alive.

--
G.W. Ross

It's amazing how much mature wisdom
resembles being too tired.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry W wrote:
In article m,
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Especially if it's your birthday.

75 candles on my cake today.

Lew

So, how much did a gallon of gasoline cost in 1955?

Don't know about '55, but in 61 it was 32 cents. There was a gas war
in Athens, GA and gas got down to 18 cents before it started going
back up. Back then the .9 cents may have meant a little on the price,
but now it is useless.

--
G.W. Ross

It's amazing how much mature wisdom
resembles being too tired.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Especially if it's your birthday.

75 candles on my cake today.

Lew

Happy Birthday!

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/23/2012 7:09 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"G. Ross" wrote:
Happy one! Hope you have a lot more.

Mine was the 12th (only 72 candles). I remembered today that my
driver's license expires on my birthday. More bad news--new law
requires birth certificate or current passport, proof of SS number,
two items of proof of current address. This is for new or renewal
of DL. The lines used to be long, now they are said to be unending.

-----------------------------
Hasn't the ACLU gone after the state of Georgia yet?

Lew

I believe that is something that that has to do with a national standard
for the issuing of drive license identification. I also think it has
something to do with the homeland security agency.

Indiana has the same thing that will be phased in on a rotating basis.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry W" wrote:

So, how much did a gallon of gasoline cost in 1955?

--------------------------------
All I remember was I could fill up my motorcycle, less than 2 gallons,
with Amoco premium HiTest (White gas) for $0.50.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"G. Ross" wrote:
Happy one! Hope you have a lot more.

Mine was the 12th (only 72 candles). I remembered today that my
driver's license expires on my birthday. More bad news--new law
requires birth certificate or current passport, proof of SS number,
two items of proof of current address. This is for new or renewal
of DL. The lines used to be long, now they are said to be unending.

-----------------------------
Hasn't the ACLU gone after the state of Georgia yet?

Lew

I believe that is something that that has to do with a national standard
for the issuing of drive license identification. I also think it has
something to do with the homeland security agency.

Indiana has the same thing that will be phased in on a rotating basis.

Yes, they're doing it all at once in GA. This is a one time only thing. After
that, people can go back to renewing online, unless you're over 59. :-(

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote in
:

Note that now the US is the only country where you can walk on the
street and not have to be able to prove your identity to an agent of
the authorities, unless there is reasonable suspicion you have done
something unlawful. Until a few years ago that could be said of the
Netherlands as well, but they complied with EU regulations, and now
you have to have identity papers on you. Not sure what exactly is
required over there as a minimum.

Han,

At what age are you required to start carrying papers?

Sorry, I have no idea. I left Holland in 1969. Visiting since then quite
often, but no need for new Dutch papers anymore. It doesn't answer your
question, but at 16 you'd need papers to ride a moped, and at 18 to drive a
car or motorcycle.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/23/2012 7:48 PM, G. Ross wrote:
Larry W wrote:
In article m,
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Especially if it's your birthday.

75 candles on my cake today.

Lew

So, how much did a gallon of gasoline cost in 1955?

Don't know about '55, but in 61 it was 32 cents. There was a gas war in
Athens, GA and gas got down to 18 cents before it started going back up.
Back then the .9 cents may have meant a little on the price, but now it
is useless.

A few billion pennies a day - useless?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/23/2012 2:45 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Especially if it's your birthday.

75 candles on my cake today.

Lew

WOW! That's a lot of candles. How old are you ? ;~)

Good for you Lew! May you have just as many more.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/23/2012 8:16 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Larry W" wrote:

So, how much did a gallon of gasoline cost in 1955?

--------------------------------
All I remember was I could fill up my motorcycle, less than 2 gallons,
with Amoco premium HiTest (White gas) for $0.50.

Lew

Were you in California then too?

I absolutely recall Regular being as low as 19.9 for regular in 1972 in
Corpus Christi and Premium being in the 30's all over Texas.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote the following on 7/23/2012 3:45 PM (ET):
Especially if it's your birthday.

75 candles on my cake today.

Lew

HB. You got 4 months and change on me.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

G. Ross wrote the following on 7/23/2012 8:42 PM (ET):
Swingman wrote:
[...]

It would make more sense to require an EKG upon renewal.
NY just did away with the vision test upon renewal last year. Now we can
renew by mail or online every 6 years. The photo on the license is also
a joke. I haven't a new photo taken since 1998 when I was 60 YOA. I
don't even recognize myself in the photo. :-)

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

Were you in California then too?

-------------------------------
NE Ohio

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/24/2012 7:48 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Leon" wrote:

Were you in California then too?

-------------------------------
NE Ohio

Lew

LOL, I recall driving into the Shamrock station, asking for 10 gallons
of regular gas, handing the attendant $2, and getting a penny back in
change. That penny came out of the change maker hooked on his belt.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 22:27:51 -0500, Richard wrote:

On 7/23/2012 7:48 PM, G. Ross wrote:
Larry W wrote:
In article m,
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Especially if it's your birthday.

75 candles on my cake today.

Lew

So, how much did a gallon of gasoline cost in 1955?

Don't know about '55, but in 61 it was 32 cents. There was a gas war in
Athens, GA and gas got down to 18 cents before it started going back up.
Back then the .9 cents may have meant a little on the price, but now it
is useless.

A few billion pennies a day - useless?

Tenths of pennies, they're "giving" you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

LOL, I recall driving into the Shamrock station, asking for 10
gallons of regular gas, handing the attendant $2, and getting a
penny back in change. That penny came out of the change maker
hooked on his belt.

-------------------------------------
And the minimum wage was either $0.50/HR, $0.75/HR, or $1.00/HR,
depending on the year.

I worked for all of them.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/24/2012 8:26 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Leon" wrote:

LOL, I recall driving into the Shamrock station, asking for 10
gallons of regular gas, handing the attendant $2, and getting a
penny back in change. That penny came out of the change maker
hooked on his belt.

-------------------------------------
And the minimum wage was either $0.50/HR, $0.75/HR, or $1.00/HR,
depending on the year.

I worked for all of them.

Maybe in 55, My first PT job in high school in 72 paid $1.75 per hour.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/23/2012 7:42 PM, G. Ross wrote:
Swingman wrote:
On 7/23/2012 4:14 PM, G. Ross wrote:

Mine was the 12th (only 72 candles). I remembered today that my
driver's license expires on my birthday.

Mine expired next month, except I took advantage of the ability to renew
it early online about three months back

I used to renew online, but in GA you can't do that over age 59 because
they want to "check your vision". Probably want to see if you are
really alive.

I think the cutoff for online renewal is 79 here in Texas ... the heat
desiccates and preserves us, and we appear younger, even when we're dead.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote:

LOL, I recall driving into the Shamrock station, asking for 10
gallons of regular gas, handing the attendant $2, and getting a
penny back in change. That penny came out of the change maker
hooked on his belt.

-------------------------------------
And the minimum wage was either $0.50/HR, $0.75/HR, or $1.00/HR,
depending on the year.

I worked for all of them.

With the competition from across the street on most corners with
stations, I could pretty well fill up my '49 Willy Jeepster for four or
five bucks, get a few extra drops out of the nozzle for my Zippo, and
score an aluminum "glass" to boot.

And didn't even have to get out of the seat ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Especially if it's your birthday.

75 candles on my cake today.

Lew

Happy birthday, hope it was a memorable one!

Not meaning to rain on your parade but I feel duty bound to inform you that
it doesn't get better. I sob speak from experience.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry W" wrote:

So, how much did a gallon of gasoline cost in 1955?

--------------------------------
All I remember was I could fill up my motorcycle, less than 2 gallons,
with Amoco premium HiTest (White gas) for $0.50.

Lew

Were you in California then too?

I absolutely recall Regular being as low as 19.9 for regular in 1972 in
Corpus Christi and Premium being in the 30's all over Texas.

I remember "gas wars", where the stations would lower their price to
grab some action. Lowest I recall was .09. And you got green stamps or
a free glass with a fill up.

There was a free market then.

Those days are long gone.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote:
Happy birthday, hope it was a memorable one!

Not meaning to rain on your parade but I feel duty bound to inform
you that it doesn't get better. I sob speak from experience.

-----------------------------------
I've always believed that you wake up, roll both legs over the edge of
the bed, both tootsies touch the floor, and both lungs are working,
you have a shot at another day.

Anything else is bonus money.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 13:26:37 -0400, "
You shouldn't post while drinking.

And you shouldn't be an Asshole, but you are one every day of the
week. Apparently, you like being one too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 09:45:13 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
I've always believed that you wake up, roll both legs over the edge of
the bed, both tootsies touch the floor, and both lungs are working,
you have a shot at another day.

Maybe, but I'd that sentiment increases the older you get.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 01:23:11 -0400, Dave wrote:

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 13:26:37 -0400, "
You shouldn't post while drinking.

And you shouldn't be an Asshole, but you are one every day of the
week. Apparently, you like being one too.

Hypocrites are my favorites, asshole.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:03:07 AM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
> Especially if it's your birthday.
>
> 75 candles on my cake today.
>
> Lew

Happy birthday, hope it was a memorable one!

Not meaning to rain on your parade but I feel duty bound to inform you that
it doesn't get better. I <sob> speak from experience.

--

Yeah - I chuckle, sometimes loudly, when I hear some thirty- or forty-some complain about getting "Old". I tell them 'Kids, you ain't seen nothing yet!"

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/24/2012 1:26 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
Begrijp ik niet