Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Today Was A Good Day

My nephew and his 2 boys came over and cleaned out my inside scrap wood bin, which was 2 sections of my wood rack, each section about 2.5'H X 4'W X 10' deep. All that scrap got chuncked outside and covered with visquene, for now.

In place, on the inside wood rack sections, they restacked about 2000 bd ft of cherry and white oak, from the outside overhang rack, and more neatly restacked some of the sinker cypress in another rack section. I helped a little. Took 4 long hours to do all that.

There is still some white oak and other lumber to bring inside, but that can wait for another day.

They relocated and reorganized some items - old unused shaper, bar clamp rack, installed a new C-clamp rack - making for more and better room to do my usual work.

The shop needed a good overhaul, that way, and those young muscles sure did a good job.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Plus you got to spend some time with them, in a good way, not just
hanging around.

Yep. I always enjoy their coming over, for any reason. I think, with each visit, they gleaned a little of my personnel self and they seem to appreciate that of me. That makes me feel good, too.

The two young ones, 11 & 13, still have that position of being intimidated by my "authority". They haven't quite gotten the idea that I don't mind them doing pretty much anything they want, in the shop or in my home, ie., make themselves at home, short of turning on a machine, they are not skilled with, and/or something dangerous, that way. I can detect they want to learn, a hint of their "can do" and "want to do" attitude, but they're not sure, yet, just how far they can go on their own, as if I'll restrict them somehow. The more they learn they can expand on their own, and be safe, then they can do pretty much what they want, without my interferring. Like Jonas, their dad, he didn't ask if he could come over and clean up the shop... he just did it, just "barged in" and took care of the job. The boys seem to be on the right track to learning, from their dad's example, how to take control, when needed, and get things done in a comfortable (within their abilities) and safe way.

Yep, it's good to have buddies, as that, to hang out with.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, July 21, 2012 8:38:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Similar situation here. Our daughter brought her five, ranging from four to thirteen, Friday. They will be with us until Wednesday, when we take them 1/2 way home to Wichita. This is the annual summer summer stay at our place. They are from a town of 5,000 so staying with us in the town of 750 is like going to the country.

So far I have helped the youngest boy make a pinewood derby car. He and his dad made one that won their local derby and this one is for fun. Went to Parsons last evening for car paint and ice cream for all.

Today is water park and putting together a bird house or two. The kid's other grandfather was a true craftsman but he passed suddenly a few years ago.. He was a machinist by trade and woodworking hobbyist so I have big shoes to fill. But they seem to think I am up to it.

Time passes quickly and we are seeing a time, soon, when the 13 year old will probably find jobs and girls more important than these summer trips but we cherish while we can.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/21/2012 8:38 PM, wrote:
All that scrap got chuncked outside and covered with
visquene, for now.

^^^^^^^^

Haven't heard anyone use that word in a coons age ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Posted to rec.woodworking

Havent heard anyone use that word in a coons age ...

KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

Chuncked or visquene? LOL. I assume "chuncked".

Initially, we gingerly stacked the scrap on sawhorses, but there was so much, we soon realized the saw horses wouldn't hold all of it. We gave up on being neat. Lots of old cypress and sinker cypress, among the scrap, and I kind of hate to simply discard it. I may post most of it on Craigslist for free. It would make for nice small projects, like bird houses, etc., and maybe a few more moderate size projects.

Among this cache, there are cut-offs, from old hand hewn beams, that were leftovers from the house remodeling. Here's a pic of one of those cut-offs having been made into a patio bench - http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream I would think someone can find a good use for lots of the scrap. Even I find a use for some of it, now and then. ..... A good bit of ER cedar, in there, as well.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/23/2012 9:40 AM, wrote:

Havent heard anyone use that word in a coons age ...

KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

Chuncked or visquene? LOL. I assume "chuncked".

Nope ... the one that had the up arrows pointing at it, "visquene".

You told your age with that one.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

Nope ... the one that had the up arrows pointing at it, "visquene".

--------------------------------------
Last time I heard "visquene", kicked the slats out of my cradle.

Lew
..

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/23/2012 2:24 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/23/2012 9:40 AM, wrote:

Havent heard anyone use that word in a coons age ...

KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

Chuncked or visquene? LOL. I assume "chuncked".

Nope ... the one that had the up arrows pointing at it, "visquene".

You told your age with that one.

Yeah is that not what was used on section of and prevent dust migration
and paint over spray at Sally's house? ;~) Last Spring.
Posted to rec.woodworking

;Swingman
Nope ... the one that had the up arrows pointing at it, "visquene".

--------------------------------------
Last time I heard "visquene", kicked the slats out of my cradle.

Lew
.

LOL. I must really be out of touch. So, what is that kind of plastic sheeting called today?

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 14:24:39 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 7/23/2012 9:40 AM, wrote:

Havent heard anyone use that word in a coons age ...

KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
http://gplus.to/eWoodShop

Chuncked or visquene? LOL. I assume "chuncked".

Nope ... the one that had the up arrows pointing at it, "visquene".

You told your age with that one.

I'm quilty of still using that term. Covers exactly what I want with
out having to use more then on word.

Mike M
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

LOL. I must really be out of touch. So, what is that kind of
plastic sheeting called today?

----------------------------------
"Visquene" works for me.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/24/2012 9:35 AM, Swingman wrote:

"visquene".

This may be regional, but if you say the word around here today, in
Texas, you will mostly get a blank look from anyone other than the old
timers.

Nope...it "was" used widely in NC & SC when I was "much" younger,
although I still hear the term from time to time.

I think most folks use the xx-MM term these days...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 4:03:57 PM UTC-5, Pat Barber wrote:
On 7/24/2012 9:35 AM, Swingman wrote:

> "visquene".
>
> This may be regional, but if you say the word around here today, in
> Texas, you will mostly get a blank look from anyone other than the old
> timers.

Nope...it "was" used widely in NC & SC when I was "much" younger,
although I still hear the term from time to time.

I think most folks use the xx-MM term these days...

Lets compromise. How about: Old wood is covered with visquene and new wood is covered with xx-MM.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 11:35:59 -0500, Swingman wrote:
This may be regional, but if you say the word around here today, in
Texas, you will mostly get a blank look from anyone other than the old
timers.

Similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Sitting in a food court
having lunch with a friend and we were talking about his having a
problem backing up something.

I suggested to him in the meantime to xcopy the directory to one of
his flash drives just for safety.

Some kid sitting next to us with his laptop open, asked my what xcopy
was?

It makes me feel old when everybody calls me 'Sir. Now I have
something else to feel outdated for.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/25/2012 12:32 AM, Dave wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 11:35:59 -0500, Swingman wrote:
This may be regional, but if you say the word around here today, in
Texas, you will mostly get a blank look from anyone other than the old
timers.

Similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Sitting in a food court
having lunch with a friend and we were talking about his having a
problem backing up something.

I suggested to him in the meantime to xcopy the directory to one of
his flash drives just for safety.

Some kid sitting next to us with his laptop open, asked my what xcopy
was?

It makes me feel old when everybody calls me 'Sir. Now I have
something else to feel outdated for.

Ahhh, the computer as an appliance. They would rather pay 49.95 for a
program that uses xcopy to do what xcopy does best.

"Computer literate" these days equates to toaster literate, or microwave
oven literate ... they know how to plug it in and hit the start button.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 08:19:51 -0500, Swingman wrote:

[...]

Similar to buying programs to make screen shots, the keyboard has a button
for that.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

[...]

It's a free program, Karen's Replicator, but it works just fine. I'd
call it a combination of a scheduler and xcopy with a sort of gui
interface. Now I don't have to "program" or "script" what I want to do.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/25/12 8:19 AM, Swingman wrote:
[...]

Oh stop. You sound like a blacksmith after the motorized carriage hit
the market. :-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/25/2012 10:11 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
[...]

Speaking of which I am strongly looking at the Mini Copper Coupe for my
wife. She likes the Comfort Access option. No need to pull her keys
our of her purse to unlock the doors or start the engine. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 7/25/2012 10:11 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Oh stop. You sound like a blacksmith after the motorized carriage hit
the market. :-p

Yeah, but did you walk uphill both ways to school in the snow and have
to start the coal stove as well as had to have finished the milking
before starting like we did?????? vbg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 25 Jul 2012 14:51:19 GMT, Han wrote:

Swingman wrote in
:

[...]

http://download.cnet.com/Karens-Repl...2_4-50127.html
Found it!

But staying on topic, here are 49 pics for a good day today:
http://izismile.com/2012/06/29/2012s...49_pics-1.html
X out the damned ad at the bottom right. sigh

--
In the depth of winter, I finally learned
that within me there lay an invincible summer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote:

I suggested to him in the meantime to xcopy the directory to one of
his flash drives just for safety.

------------------------------------
My important files all operate on a DOS2.0 program that hasn't been
updated in 20 years.

They all get backed up to a flash drive via an xcopy command in the
command line.

Helps you sleep better.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

wrote:
[...]

http://izismile.com/2012/06/29/2012s...photos_so_far_
49_pics-1.html X out the damned ad at the bottom right. sigh

No problem with ads for me (AdBlockPlus ??). Picture 13 Capilano
Suspension Bridge ... I got better pictures .

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/25/2012 10:11 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 7/25/12 8:19 AM, Swingman wrote:

"Computer literate" these days equates to toaster literate, or microwave
oven literate ... they know how to plug it in and hit the start button.

Oh stop. You sound like a blacksmith after the motorized carriage hit
the market. :-p

LOL ... yabbut, Bubba, considering how conservative and cranky you are
at your young age, I'd hate to be around when you have about twenty
years more practice!

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 25 Jul 2012 16:19:43 GMT, Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

wrote:
[...]

Well, I'll be dinged. I had AdBlockPlus for years, but somehow, when
upgrading Mozilla, it got lost. It's back now. I wondered what had
happened. Do you see ads on YouTube.com now? I recently started and
it looked like Google's takeover and resulting "monetizing" of the
videos had caused it. Now I'm not so sure.

--
In the depth of winter, I finally learned
that within me there lay an invincible summer.
-- Albert Camus
Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
On 7/25/2012 10:11 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Oh stop. You sound like a blacksmith after the motorized carriage hit
the market. :-p

Yeah, but did you walk uphill both ways to school in the snow and have
to start the coal stove as well as had to have finished the milking
before starting like we did?????? vbg

Yes - except it was a wood stove not a coal stove. Damned those hills
though...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/25/12 12:08 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/25/2012 10:11 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 7/25/12 8:19 AM, Swingman wrote:

"Computer literate" these days equates to toaster literate, or microwave
oven literate ... they know how to plug it in and hit the start button.

Oh stop. You sound like a blacksmith after the motorized carriage hit
the market. :-p

LOL ... yabbut, Bubba, considering how conservative and cranky you are
at your young age, I'd hate to be around when you have about twenty
years more practice!

Literally LOL!

That was beautiful. Poetry.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 09:12:09 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

My important files all operate on a DOS2.0 program that hasn't been
updated in 20 years.
They all get backed up to a flash drive via an xcopy command in the
command line.
Helps you sleep better.

Me? I sleep better knowing that I have new 3 1/2" and 5 1/4 floppy
drives squirreled away for the future. One day, they're going to be
worth a bundle as antiques.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

My important files all operate on a DOS2.0 program that hasn't been
updated in 20 years.
They all get backed up to a flash drive via an xcopy command in the
command line.
Helps you sleep better.

Me? I sleep better knowing that I have new 3 1/2" and 5 1/4 floppy
drives squirreled away for the future. One day, they're going to be
worth a bundle as antiques.

Remember how AOL sent out MILLIONS & MILLIONS of CD's? People were putting
them up as shingles and siding on their houses. I bet they aren't worth
anything now. I wonder how long a CD lasts in any kind of weather? I think
it was some kinda statement about the insidious AOL campaign to cover the
world in CD's.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 21:07:58 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:

Remember how AOL sent out MILLIONS & MILLIONS of CD's? People were putting
them up as shingles and siding on their houses. I bet they aren't worth
anything now. I wonder how long a CD lasts in any kind of weather? I think
it was some kinda statement about the insidious AOL campaign to cover the
world in CD's.

I'm betting that AOL had an investment in the polycarbonate recycling
business and is now reaping the benefits from the 'think green'
program.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Im betting that AOL had an investment in the polycarbonate recycling
business and is now reaping the benefits from the ;think green program.

No Way. AOL is too ignorant to invest wisely. They screwed the paying "people" customers and they invested in The Huffington Post tabloid.
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Be careful. XCOPY *will* munge SFN - LFN links. Fortunately SFNs are almost
a thing of the past but it does matter.

"Computer literate" these days equates to toaster literate, or microwave
oven literate ... they know how to plug it in and hit the start button.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/25/2012 9:33 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
Be careful. XCOPY*will* munge SFN - LFN links. Fortunately SFNs are almost
a thing of the past but it does matter.

I come from the 8.3 generation, so no worries ...

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010