Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default O/T: Today Is A good Day

Swingman wrote in
:

On 7/23/2012 4:14 PM, G. Ross wrote:

Mine was the 12th (only 72 candles). I remembered today that my
driver's license expires on my birthday. More bad news--new law
requires birth certificate or current passport, proof of SS number,
two items of proof of current address. This is for new or renewal of
DL. The lines used to be long, now they are said to be unending.

Hell, if you don't need all that to vote ... providing you're
demographically suspected of being a Democrat, that is.

Mine expired next month, except I took advantage of the ability to
renew it early online about three months back ... and immediately got
questioned when I presented it because it expires in August 2018,
three months greater than the usual six year term.

I remember I needed something like those documents Ross mentioned to
renew my NJ driver's license a few years ago (because NJ intend(ed) to
have a NJ DL comply with standards for a national ID).

To vote, I walk or bicycle over and identify my listing in the book of
registered voters (no, that is my wife, and that is my daughter), then
sign 2 or 3 times. At least one of the people manning the polling place
usually recognizes me.

Note that now the US is the only country where you can walk on the street
and not have to be able to prove your identity to an agent of the
authorities, unless there is reasonable suspicion you have done something
unlawful. Until a few years ago that could be said of the Netherlands as
well, but they complied with EU regulations, and now you have to have
identity papers on you. Not sure what exactly is required over there as
a minimum.

--
Best regards
Han