Old March 29th 12, 01:50 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Black and Decker Bandsaw 9411 Type I

To start off I realize it is a cheap saw and I could do better, but for
$25 I thought it was a good deal to work a bandsaw into my needs in
woodworking.

Question: I picked it up at a yard sale with three blades for $25, and
thought it would be a good starter bandsaw. I brought it home and
downloaded all of the manual and parts list. I spent most of Monday
cleaning it up. (Though it was obviously well maintained but not used
for a long time. Mud Wasp nest under the table and in the knobs gave
that away.)

Based on the manual I adjusted the alignment, and turned it on. I think
it works perfectly. I did some play cuts, and noticed that it appeared
to burn the wood slightly when I cut curves. Since I did not smell any
burning I thought there may be a little rust on the blade.

Me question is a slight burning on the curves normal with this type of
bandsaw, or is it something I am doing.

Old March 29th 12, 03:14 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/28/2012 9:17 PM, Artemus wrote:
"Keith wrote in message
[...]

Are you exceeding the minimum turning radius?
http://www.old-woodworking-tools.net...saw-blade.html
Art

Thanks for the link, since I am new to this the more information the better.

However the answer to your question based on the information on that
site is "No, I did not try to do a greater radius than is capable of the
blade".

Never having used a bandsaw I cut conservative curves with radius of 2"
to 3" vs what is recommended on that site for a 3/8" blade of 1" to 1
1/4". In fact it is a surprise to me that a 3/8" blade is capable of a
1" radius.

As I said I am new to this toy.

Old March 29th 12, 03:35 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"Keith wrote in message
[...]

Next (obvious) thing: Is the blade sharp?

Old March 29th 12, 03:56 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"Keith wrote in message
[...]

OP: We are working on that question.

In the few cuts I have made it seems to cut OK.

Would a dull blade cause burning.

Old March 29th 12, 05:01 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"Keith wrote in message
[...]

And does it have the proper amount of set? Too little set will result
in a larger minimum turning radius. A new blade may be in order.
Be sure your guide blocks are adjusted behind the teeth of the blade
or you could ruin it instantly.
Art

Old March 29th 12, 05:06 AM posted to rec.woodworking

"Keith wrote in message
[...]

(And installed in the right direction?) gd&r

--
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the
government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
Old March 29th 12, 06:41 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in :

Next (obvious) thing: Is the blade sharp?

What about the back of the blade? Is it square or rounded?

The books I read suggested rounding the back of the blade with a stone to
make it easier to cut curves.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Old March 29th 12, 07:04 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in :

Next (obvious) thing: Is the blade sharp?

What about the back of the blade? Is it square or rounded?

The books I read suggested rounding the back of the blade with a stone to
make it easier to cut curves.

He can work onthe old blade if he wants while he's trying a new blade! : )

Puckdropper

Old March 29th 12, 01:15 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 3/28/2012 9:35 PM, Bill wrote:

Next (obvious) thing: Is the blade sharp?

OP: We are working on that question.

In the few cuts I have made it seems to cut OK.

Would a dull blade cause burning.

Anything that impedes the cutting could. That includes a blade that is
dull, too wide, too many TPI, too little tooth set, type of wood, etc.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...