Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Black and Decker Bandsaw 9411 Type I

On 3/28/2012 6:50 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
To start off I realize it is a cheap saw and I could do better, but for
$25 I thought it was a good deal to work a bandsaw into my needs in
woodworking.

Question: I picked it up at a yard sale with three blades for $25, and
thought it would be a good starter bandsaw. I brought it home and
downloaded all of the manual and parts list. I spent most of Monday
cleaning it up. (Though it was obviously well maintained but not used
for a long time. Mud Wasp nest under the table and in the knobs gave
that away.)

Based on the manual I adjusted the alignment, and turned it on. I think
it works perfectly. I did some play cuts, and noticed that it appeared
to burn the wood slightly when I cut curves. Since I did not smell any
burning I thought there may be a little rust on the blade.

Me question is a slight burning on the curves normal with this type of
bandsaw, or is it something I am doing.

I bought that saw new about 30 years ago, I think I paid about $80. I
would say that yours is probably a least 25 years old. Yours was well
maintained most likely because it was probably never used very much.
Mine was not.
Any way IIRC the blade guides were not the typically expected
material. Burning from the blade can be caused by exceeding the radius
that the blade was designed for. The set in the teeth and width of the
blade pretty much dictate the radius that it is capable of cutting with
out burning. The distance from the back corner of the blade to the
outer most cutting point of the blade on the opposite side is what
determines the smallest possible radius. With the same width blade but
with greater or less set in the teeth you will get a greater or less
amount of tight radius capacity. Basically once the back corner of the
blade starts to touch the wood you run the risk of burning the wood.
FWIW this saw was marginal when brand new, I never ever used mine
past setting it up that I recall. IMHO the saw is best used for 1/4"
soft material and or balsa.