Posted to rec.woodworking
Bilbo Baggins

Default Black & Decker

Every time I turn around I hear that B&D now controls another company.
I have not been a fan of B&D for many years now. I, like most
woodworkers, am constantly looking for more toys, aka tools. I do not
wish to buy anything that B&D has their finger in.

Recently I needed a part for my DeVilbiss compressor, I called my
local small engine/compressor repair shop and was informed the it
would probably take from 6 to 8 weeks to get the part. Inquiring as to
why it would take so long I was informed that they had been having
long lead times for parts on any tool that B&D had acquired.

I am currently looking for a 14" band saw, I had decided that the Jet,
Delta or Grizzly would suit my needs, but I guess Delta is out of the
question now.

Where can I find a list of companies that B&D has acquired or is in
the process of acquiring?

Thanks, Bilbo
Posted to rec.woodworking
Rob Mills

"Bilbo Baggins" wrote in message

. I do no wish to buy anything that B&D has their finger in.

I'm thinking they acquired DeWalt or was it visa versa.
Nothing wrong with B&D if you get their top of the line. I've got a corded 2
speed/variable 3/8 in drill (professional series, sold for aprox $270) that
I've had for 10 or 12 years and it's still going strong. The 2 speed has
metal gears, not plastic and is all ball bearing. RM~

Posted to rec.woodworking
David Bridgeman

Bilbo Baggins wrote:
[...]

Black and Decker's 10-K is their annual SEC filing and lists their major
subsidiaries. I think this link will work:
http://ccbn.10kwizard.com/download.p... k=0000012355

If not just go to www.bdk.com - investor relations - financial - SEC
filings - page down to 10-K.

Funny thing I noticed on their website is that they don't list
Delta/Porter Cable/Devilbliss on their home page. But I know as you
noted that the parts service has been integrated.

As far as B&D tools, I agree that I would shy away from B&D branded
tools for myself. But, Dewalt tools have served me well. I do have a
couple of B&D Trade tools from the 70's that are still going strong.
This line became Dewalt as we know it today. When B&D acquired Dewalt
in the late 60's it only made RAS's. B&D started making them under the
B&D name and later stopped making the RAS. The Dewalt name was unused
(but still owned) by B&D until branding there top of the line tools with
Dewalt.

I wouldn't exclude Dewalt, Delta, Porter Cable or Devilbliss from my
purchase consideration due to the parts issue because I own tools from
all of the above and have only need a part once.

Ramble off.

David
Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 23:25:10 -0800, Bilbo Baggins
wrote:

[...]

Within the last ninety days I have ordered multiple parts for a Delta
Sawbuck, (a product that was discontinued over nine years ago),and a
Delta hollow chisel mortiser. I ordered them through the B & D
servicenet ordering system (which is better, easier to use, than the
old system that the Pentair tool group had) and got them all within
three days of ordering.

Maybe you should get your local to define "probably".

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

"Rob Mills" wrote in message

"Bilbo Baggins" wrote in message

. I do no wish to buy anything that B&D has their finger in.

I'm thinking they acquired DeWalt or was it visa versa.

Those 2 have been associated since at least hte 70's.

Nothing wrong with B&D if you get their top of the line. I've got a corded
2 speed/variable 3/8 in drill (professional series, sold for aprox $270)
that I've had for 10 or 12 years and it's still going strong. The 2 speed
has metal gears, not plastic and is all ball bearing. RM~

IMHO B&D has not been as good since they stopped making tools that were
black, silver, and grey in color.

Posted to rec.woodworking
mike from American Sycamore

Dear Mr. Bilbo Baggins:

I find your post very upsetting and based on hearsay and not facts.
Fact is: B & D builds for a low end home owner tool and only someone
very frugal would buy anyway. B&D also builds some very nice tools on
the high end. Condiming a whole company based on lies and hearsay is
just plain wrong and unfair. Your statements are not based on facts.
I have sold tools for years and I can tell you from 1000's of
experiences and dealing with customers you get what you pay for. You
buy cheap, you get cheap. I am very active with the management of B&D
and Delta. I am very confident that they will only continue to get
better. My statements are based on fact, not feelngs nor hearsay.
Delta will also take care of their customers. They have too much to
lose if they do not.

I own and use over 30 Delta tools on a dailly bases. I can verify the
quality and support I get from Delta.i
Mike from American Sycamore

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 02:17:38 -0600, "Rob Mills"
wrote:

"Bilbo Baggins" wrote in message
.. .

. I do no wish to buy anything that B&D has their finger in.

I'm thinking they acquired DeWalt or was it visa versa.

~

B & D obtained the "name" Dewalt a well respected name in the
industrial machinery business, and with marketing genius that you have
to admire despite your opinion of the tools, introduced the yellow and
black line of portable power tools.

If you are interested in what happened to what was left of the Dewalt
industrial line they are now sold in low volume under the name " the
Original Saw Co." Primarily very high quality (and expensive) radial
arm saws.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Drackman

"mike from American Sycamore" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I usually admire your posts, but I find this one to be silly. You admit
that you are involved with the company management, and comdem the OP beacuse
he does not use facts, but you provide no facts..just emotion. If B&D is
great company please provide facts.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bilbo Baggins

I am sorry that I did not list all of the data.

1. I called my local supplier and requested a price for a replacement
gasket for my compressor. The supplier said that the part was not in
his stock and he would have to check with the manufacturer for the
information.

2. The following day my supplier called me to let me know the price
and that it would probably be a few weeks. I told him that would not
be a problem since I was going on vacation.

3. After my vacation (about 4 weeks after first call) I called my
supplier again to find out what was up with my part. I was told that
they had not heard anything yet, but would call and get right back to
me with an answer. About 30 min later they called and told me that the
part would not be available for 2 to 4 more weeks. At that time I was
also told that this was not unusual since B&D had purchased DeVilbiss.

I am quite aware that B&D tools are manufactured for the casual user
that is why I shy away from B&D branded tools, 60 years ago the name
B&D meant quality, now it means cheap. Only time will tell as to
whether B&D will maintain the quality that has always been associated
with the names of Delta and DeVilbiss or they will fall prey to the
almighty profit margin.

On 28 Nov 2005 05:39:16 -0800, "mike from American Sycamore"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Duane Bozarth

Bilbo Baggins wrote:

... Delta .... will fall prey to the
almighty profit margin.

And what makes you think Delta hasn't _always_ required and operated for
a profit?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:10:46 -0800, Bilbo Baggins
wrote:

[...]

Now I'm confused. The servicenet site lists parts in three ways. In
Stock (available immediately, about 95% of all parts), back ordered,
or no longer available. If back ordered there is either a specific
fulfillment date or no date available (usually because the service
buyer/planner has not input it yet). Wonder where your local supplier
is getting all this nebulous and variable delivery information.

Possibly you should go on servicenet, look up the part number and see
for yourself.

I am quite aware that B&D tools are manufactured for the casual user
that is why I shy away from B&D branded tools, 60 years ago the name
B&D meant quality, now it means cheap. Only time will tell as to
whether B&D will maintain the quality that has always been associated
with the names of Delta and DeVilbiss or they will fall prey to the
almighty profit margin.

Posted to rec.woodworking
evodawg

Bilbo Baggins wrote:

[...]

I went to my local Porter Cable/Delta parts and recondition outlet in
Southern California and the name has been changed to Black & Decker. I was
****ED!!!!!!!! I was looking for a reconditioned circular saw, my old 25
year old Craftsman finally took a **** and I needed to replace it. For the
last 10 years I have only bought Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Bosch and Delta.
I went in and all I saw basically was orange and black, I got sick to my
stomach.
I asked the customer service guy what happened. He didn't look happy and
said that B&D had taken them over. My next question was how long will it
take B&D to implement it's cheap ass engineering into Porter Cable and
Delta? He had that stupid look on his face. I told him guess you're forcing
me to buy Milwaukee and Bosch. He did say that I wasn't the only customer
that had the same reaction.

The worst power tool builder now makes one of the best power tools. How long
will it take for Delta/Porter Cable to become second to the worst?

I'm so ****ed off
Rich

--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bilbo Baggins

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 14:26:07 -0600, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

Bilbo Baggins wrote:

... Delta .... will fall prey to the
almighty profit margin.

And what makes you think Delta hasn't _always_ required and operated for
a profit?

I never said profit I said profet margin which equates to the lowes
possible manufacturing cost to the highest possible resale price
regardless of the quality of the item that you are selling.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bilbo Baggins

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 14:50:15 -0600, Frank Boettcher
wrote:

Now I'm confused. The servicenet site lists parts in three ways. In
Stock (available immediately, about 95% of all parts), back ordered,
or no longer available. If back ordered there is either a specific
fulfillment date or no date available (usually because the service
buyer/planner has not input it yet). Wonder where your local supplier
is getting all this nebulous and variable delivery information.

Possibly you should go on servicenet, look up the part number and see
for yourself.

Well, since my local supplier is an authorized service center for
DeVilbiss, I would assume that they are getting the parts from the
manufacturer.
Posted to rec.woodworking
KENDALL SEYBERT

All I can say is "amen": I won't even buy a B&D coffeemaker, much less one
of their tools. That being said, I guess they did help a lot of folks enter
the DIY world without much financial outlay. Of course, I understand Delta
is using Taiwan and China for most of their manufacturing, anyway, with no
price reductions, so their bottom line must be looking pretty darned good.

--Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
Duane Bozarth

wrote:

Bilbo Baggins wrote:

... Delta .... will fall prey to the
almighty profit margin.

And what makes you think Delta hasn't _always_ required and operated for
a profit?

I never said profit I said profet margin which equates to the lowes
possible manufacturing cost to the highest possible resale price
regardless of the quality of the item that you are selling.

Improving profit margin is the end objective of any business--pretty
much Econ 101.

"Quality" is a target for a desired/identified market niche.