Grant

Default specialized or custom router bits

Is there a place that will make custom router bits? Or what company or
online shop has a big selection of bits?

Grant

Actually what I am looking for is a chamfer bit that has the bearing on the
inside and can handle up to 3/4" thickness. I intend to put in in my router
table and with a template chamfer panels of foam that have a variable
thickness, so that no matter what the thickness the edge has a 45 degree
chamfer along the entire panel.

Wes Stewart

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:39:39 -0700, "Grant" wrote:

|Actually what I am looking for is a chamfer bit that has the bearing on the
|inside and can handle up to 3/4" thickness. I intend to put in in my router
|table and with a template chamfer panels of foam that have a variable
|thickness, so that no matter what the thickness the edge has a 45 degree
|chamfer along the entire panel.

I think you're asking for a bit with the bearing on the shaft rather
than the pointy end, but maybe not.

If not:

http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-router...986820_3794+33

If yes, then you might buy one of these anyway and slip a 1/4" ID
bearing on the shaft. It will not fit tight against the bottom of the
cutter, however, as they put a substantial fillet on that end.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Grant" wrote in message news:5WENc.1160$1o.225@fed1read06...
Is there a place that will make custom router bits? Or what company or
online shop has a big selection of bits?

Ridge Carbide Tools. www.ridgecarbidetool.com

Grant

http://www.routerbits.com/cgi-router...986820_3794+33

Like that but with the bearing on the other side. And a cutting depth of
3/4".

Grant

Thanks I emailed them. I guess what I'm looking for is called a "Top
Bearing" router bit. But online I still cannot find a stock 45 degree
chamfer.

Mike Marlow

"Grant" wrote in message news:HONNc.4646$1o.1479@fed1read06...
Thanks I emailed them. I guess what I'm looking for is called a "Top
Bearing" router bit. But online I still cannot find a stock 45 degree
chamfer.

I'm not sure I understand why the one you rejected won't work Grant. If
you're routing free had, then it would work if you're gliding the router
along the top surface of the material. If you're using a router table, then
it would work equally well if you route with the piece upside down. In
fact, with a table you don't even need the bearing.

--

-Mike-

J. Clarke

Grant wrote:

Thanks I emailed them. I guess what I'm looking for is called a "Top
Bearing" router bit. But online I still cannot find a stock 45 degree
chamfer.

Any reason you can't use a guide bushing?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 20:18:27 -0700, "Grant" wrote:

Is there a place that will make custom router bits?

Yes, there at least two.

One make router bits that look typical router bits. These are $pendy.

The others use something like the Trend router bit with the
replaceable wing cutter. The knife part of these is a flat carbide
sheet, held in a re-usable holder. Any toolmaker that can grind knife
tooling in carbide can make up cutters for these. You can find one in
a decent-sized city and the price is more reasonable.

However you have to have a pretty weird shape in mind before you can't
already get it off the shelf.

--
Smert' spamionam
Pat Barber

Impossible... to have top bearing on a chamfer bit.

This is the largest company in the US selling bits:

http://www.freudtools.com/woodworker...Chamfer_1.html

You will find several "stock" 45 degree bits on that page...

Grant wrote:

Thanks I emailed them. I guess what I'm looking for is called a "Top
Bearing" router bit. But online I still cannot find a stock 45 degree
chamfer.

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:34:22 GMT, Pat Barber
wrote:

Impossible... to have top bearing on a chamfer bit.

Why ? I've never used it as such, but I've a set of demountable
tooling here where I can stack assorted cutters and bearings in
whatever order I like. Top bearing / bottom bearing, I can stack them
either way.

--
Smert' spamionam

wrote:

Impossible... to have top bearing on a chamfer bit.

not impossible, but kinda pointless...

Grant wrote:

Thanks I emailed them. I guess what I'm looking for is called a "Top
Bearing" router bit. But online I still cannot find a stock 45 degree
chamfer.

Grant

What I want to do is use the bit in a router table. With the bearing below
the cutter I can run my template along the bearing while my foam piece
attaced to the template which has a varying thickness throughout the piece
is on top of the template. This way I can give a roundish piece that has
varying thickness a 45 degree chamfer around the entire piece.

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
I'm not sure I understand why the one you rejected won't work Grant. If
you're routing free had, then it would work if you're gliding the router
along the top surface of the material. If you're using a router table,

then
it would work equally well if you route with the piece upside down. In
fact, with a table you don't even need the bearing.

--

-Mike-

Grant

Can you explain? I repsonded to Mike above in more detail what I need to
do.

"J. Clarke" wrote
Any reason you can't use a guide bushing?

Grant

I will doing foam pieces that have a varying thickness throughout the entire
piece. For me it is not pointless.

wrote

Impossible... to have top bearing on a chamfer bit.

not impossible, but kinda pointless...

Grant

"Pat Barber" wrote Impossible... to have
top bearing on a chamfer bit.

is it?
http://www.infinitytools.com/catalog...2:topbearin g

J. Clarke

Grant wrote:

Can you explain? I repsonded to Mike above in more detail what I need to
do.

A guide bushing pretty much does the same thing as a bearing but is attached
to the router base instead of the bit.

http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/...ily.asp?family
5Fid=1392&gift=False&mscssid=0354C0C604F8D47E19C6D 6C97EAE5345
http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/...ily.asp?family
5Fid=4855&gift=False&mscssid=0354C0C604F8D47E19C6D 6C97EAE5345
http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family_id=1418&mscssid=0354C0C6 04F8D47E19C6D6C97EAE5345&Gift=False&GiftID=

"J. Clarke" wrote
Any reason you can't use a guide bushing?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Pat Barber

I should have said "pointless" not impossible. The bits you
pointed to are NOT the bits you asked about(chamfer) in
your first post. Many bits have top bearing but in the case
of chamfer bit, a bearing would have no place or use.

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:03:19 -0700, "Grant" wrote:

I will doing foam pieces that have a varying thickness throughout the entire
piece. For me it is not pointless.

let's see if we can make this word picture make sense.

you want to bevel the top of a slab of foam on the router table. the
slab is face up. the slab is of varying thickness. the start point of
the bevel is a constant distance from the table top, but the end point
of the bevel will vary with the thickness of the slab. the width of
the bevel will vary.

you want to follow the edge with a bearing. are the edges straight or
curved? if they are straight, use a fence. if they are curved, a
bearing or bushing or a following pin will work.

it sounds like the chamfer bit will need to be inverted- the narrow
end at the shank, the wide end at the tip, like a dovetail bit.

do I have this picture right?

Grant

It is looking like it might be best to make a setup that holds the router
above a table. That way I could just use stock Chamfer bits.

Thanks for all the input!

"Grant" wrote in message news:1eFNc.1280$1o.309@fed1read06...
Actually what I am looking for is a chamfer bit that has the bearing on

the
inside and can handle up to 3/4" thickness. I intend to put in in my

router
table and with a template chamfer panels of foam that have a variable
thickness, so that no matter what the thickness the edge has a 45 degree
chamfer along the entire panel.

CW

No.

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
Impossible... to have top bearing on a chamfer bit.

B a r r y

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:56:49 GMT, Pat Barber
wrote:

Many bits have top bearing but in the case
of chamfer bit, a bearing would have no place or use.

Not true. I use a bearing guided chamfer bit all the time. It works
great, and requires very little setup time. Without the bearing, I'd
need to dick around with a fence.

Lookie he
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...rden&n=507846V

Barry
B a r r y

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 21:04:21 GMT, B a r r y
wrote:

Sorry, I left off an anti-wrap bracket! G

Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000225VN/qid=1091480609/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl60/104-8837058-2285513?v=glance&s=home-garden&n=507846V

wrote:

Many bits have top bearing but in the case
of chamfer bit, a bearing would have no place or use.

Not true. I use a bearing guided chamfer bit all the time. It works
great, and requires very little setup time. Without the bearing, I'd
need to dick around with a fence.

Lookie he
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...rden&n=507846V

Barry

that's a *bottom* bearing chamfer bit.

Router bits - 1/4" vs. 1/2" , which brands Mike Gerdts Woodworking 11 July 19th 04 05:13 PM
Bosch 1617EVSPK -- 1/4 or 1/2 bits? Leon Woodworking 3 June 2nd 04 07:36 PM
Can one use the Dremel Advantage Plunge Router Attachment (Model 963-01) with Standard Router Bits? Adriaan Sachtler Woodworking 1 January 20th 04 01:33 AM
Making Trim? Bob S. Woodworking 0 September 5th 03 10:05 PM
Vibration on 1/2" bits on Milwake 5615 router Leon Woodworking 1 July 24th 03 03:57 PM