Adriaan Sachtler

Default Can one use the Dremel Advantage Plunge Router Attachment (Model 963-01) with Standard Router Bits?

After buying a PC Model 301 trim router and returning after the bit got
stuck to badly it got destroyed during my attempts to remove it, I decided
to follow up on a suggestion that one of you made in reply to my post at the
time, i.e. to use a Dremel Advantage rotary tool (Model 9000) with the above
mentioned plunge router attachment.

According to their web site, it takes 1/4" router bits. However, it does not
specify the size of the opening of the router base. When I called customer
service tonight, I got a big surprise: they stated that using any router bit
other than those manufactured by Dremel would void the warranty!??

I was not planning to use it with very large bits, I have my table-mounted
Bosch for that, but I was thinking that using roundover bits up to 1/4"
would be nice. Also I much prefer carbide over steel, but the Dremel router
bits are only made with steel.

I was wondering if one of you has this attachment, and if (a) the warranty
does indeed say that, (b) what your experience has been --- have you used it
with standard router bits, and (c) what is the size of the opening in the
base?

Thank you in advance for the feedback!

Adriaan

Bob S.

Adriaan,

It may have been my post your are referring to. My Dremel is presently at
my nieces house where they're remodeling (everything). The Advantage kit
now comes with a plunge router base and a flexible extension. Since it's
not here, I can't read the warranty in the manual but that should be
available on-line.

I've been using 1/4" bits (roundcover, straight and a core box bit) without
any ill effects to the Dremel - so far. I also have the PC310 and the
Dremel is rated at 4.5a - same as the PC310. I wouldn't expect it to do
heavy routing but so far everything I've done has come out nicely. As for
using other than Dremel bits, I'd say that's hog-wash. When I spoke to
customer service (a very nice and knowledgeable lady - she's the one on
their web site), I told her my intentions of using carbide tipped router
bits and she's the one that recommended the plunge base. It's not junk but
I wouldn't call it heavy duty but certainly designed to handle anything for
1/8" Dremel bits and most other 1/4" router bits as long as you're
reasonable about your cutting.

It is not a replacement for the PC310 if that's what you're thinking and I
don't want you to think that - it is a step below for lighter duty
applications but much handier than a medium sized router.

As for the base - it's removable.

Bob S.