Default specialized or custom router bits

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:03:19 -0700, "Grant" wrote:

I will doing foam pieces that have a varying thickness throughout the entire
piece. For me it is not pointless.

let's see if we can make this word picture make sense.

you want to bevel the top of a slab of foam on the router table. the
slab is face up. the slab is of varying thickness. the start point of
the bevel is a constant distance from the table top, but the end point
of the bevel will vary with the thickness of the slab. the width of
the bevel will vary.

you want to follow the edge with a bearing. are the edges straight or
curved? if they are straight, use a fence. if they are curved, a
bearing or bushing or a following pin will work.

it sounds like the chamfer bit will need to be inverted- the narrow
end at the shank, the wide end at the tip, like a dovetail bit.

do I have this picture right?