Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Inline speed control for a grinder

This writer talks about an "inline speed control" for a grinder.

http://toolguyd.com/bench-grinder-cr...ecommendation/

Does anyone know what he is talking about? What should I buy to set this up for my Craftsman grinder? I need lower speeds for my lathe tools.

Thanks,

Mike
Posted to rec.woodworking

Though I don't know for sure, I would think it is an inline switch to
slow or speed up the grinder/grinding speed, similar to a dimmer
switch for a light. If they (in the link) suspect the Craftsman is
adaptable for one, you might ask at Sears what it is and/or if it's
available.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/19/2012 9:57 AM, Michael wrote:
This writer talks about an "inline speed control" for a grinder.

http://toolguyd.com/bench-grinder-cr...ecommendation/

Does anyone know what he is talking about? What should I buy to set this up for my Craftsman grinder? I need lower speeds for my lathe tools.

Thanks,

Mike

A common in line speed control is one sold to slow down routers. You
plug into the speed control and dial the speed you want.

Keep in mind yo need a different type speed control for a universal
motor, one with brushes, than one that works with a capacitor start
motor, those found on larger more stationary equipment.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:
This writer talks about an "inline speed control" for a grinder.

http://toolguyd.com/bench-grinder-cr...ecommendation/

Does anyone know what he is talking about? What should I buy to set this up for my Craftsman grinder? I need lower speeds for my lathe tools.

Thanks,

Mike

I haven't heard of any that would work on this type of motor. For a
motor with brushes, such as a drill, router etc there are speed
controls available.

--
Gerald Ross

Put on your seatbelt. I wanna try
something.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
,
Sonny wrote:
Though I don't know for sure, I would think it is an inline switch to
slow or speed up the grinder/grinding speed, similar to a dimmer
switch for a light. If they (in the link) suspect the Craftsman is
adaptable for one, you might ask at Sears what it is and/or if it's
available.

Only "universal" motors can have speed control of the "dimmer-switch"
type. Those with a capacitor, the more usual motors fitted to grinders
etc, cannot be varied in speed. If a manufacturer has built a speed
control into a machine it is, of course, going to work fine.

The Craftsman quotes a 1/6th hp motor - forget it. The moment you start
trying to grind something it'll slow right down

--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
http://www.asciiribbon.org

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Michael" wrote in message

This writer talks about an "inline speed control" for a grinder.

http://toolguyd.com/bench-grinder-cr...ecommendation/

Does anyone know what he is talking about? What should I buy to set this up
for my Craftsman grinder? I need lower speeds for my lathe tools.

Thanks,
================================================== ===========================================
He basically doesn't know what he is talking about.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stay away from dimmer switches. Motor variometers are much better choice.
I don't know that your motor can handle variable speed.

If you bought a 3450 grinder too bad. Way too fast. Even 1725-1750 in my
mind is too fast.

If you have a grinder 3450, get a set of pillow blocks, and sheaves and
step down the speed. Remount the stone on the new shaft Use a sheave
like used on drill presses so you can adjust your speed.

On 2/19/2012 11:07 AM, Sonny wrote:
Though I don't know for sure, I would think it is an inline switch to
slow or speed up the grinder/grinding speed, similar to a dimmer
switch for a light. If they (in the link) suspect the Craftsman is
adaptable for one, you might ask at Sears what it is and/or if it's
available.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article 16149923.23.1329667062666.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@ynii32,
Michael wrote:
This writer talks about an "inline speed control" for a grinder.

http://toolguyd.com/bench-grinder-cr...ecommendation/

Does anyone know what he is talking about? What should I buy to set this
up for my Craftsman grinder? I need lower speeds for my lathe tools.

Thanks,

Mike

Most bench grinders and almost certainly the pictured Craftsman use
induction motors and speed control is not practical. There is little
reason to use anything BUT an induction motor on a bench grinder UNLESS
it was designed with the intention of having variable speed. The
common speed controls used for routers and other tools with universal
motors will not work with induction motors. Your best bet for the lathe
tools using a regular grinder is frequent dunking of the tool in water.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to buy that Porter Cable and be happy.

Mike
Posted to rec.woodworking

"tiredofspam" wrote in message

Stay away from dimmer switches. Motor variometers are much better choice.
I don't know that your motor can handle variable speed.

If you bought a 3450 grinder too bad. Way too fast. Even 1725-1750 in my
mind is too fast.

If you have a grinder 3450, get a set of pillow blocks, and sheaves and
step down the speed. Remount the stone on the new shaft Use a sheave
like used on drill presses so you can adjust your speed.

I have a variable speed grinder. I turned it down once just to see what it
would be like. Turned it back up and left it there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:

If you have a grinder 3450, get a set of pillow blocks, and sheaves and
step down the speed. Remount the stone on the new shaft Use a sheave
like used on drill presses so you can adjust your speed.

I bought one of these:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster...er-prod809134/

It's impossible to overheat a tool on the slow running wetstone but rather
time consuming if you've anything more than a light "touch-up" to perform.

--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
http://www.asciiribbon.org

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 19, 9:26*pm, Michael wrote:
Thanks for the advice. *I'm going to buy that Porter Cable and be happy..

Mike

If you haven't bought yet, consider one of these.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...d-Grinder.aspx

I have two, and love them both. First, while not variable, they are
slow speed grinders. Second, and probably just as important, they
come with white, friable wheels which are much superior to sharpening
tool steel than the old gray wheels.

They cut cooler, faster, and with less bounce on the wheel. These
wheels are the best for your lathe tools and cost about $25 each for
the 6" size, and about $35 for the 8" size. Surfacing them on
occasion to keep them clean, mine have lasted for years.

If you buy the 6" grinder, then buy the right wheels, you are at the
same price as this grinder. The Woodcraft boys told me they have kept
these around specifically for wood turners and because they have a
great track record. I believe it; one of mine is 14 years old and
still working fine!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

I did see this in Woodcraft. That price is a little high. Also, I'd like to have a grinder set up to do other things that need a higher speed (axe, mower blade, &c), and so a variable speed is probably better for me.

Thanks,

Mike
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:
I did see this in Woodcraft. That price is a little high. Also, I'd
like to have a grinder set up to do other things that need a higher
speed (axe, mower blade, &c), and so a variable speed is probably
better for me.

Thanks,

Mike

FWIW - and I know this defies the current conventional wisdom... Variable
speed is not necessary. Learn to develop the touch for the material you are
grinding, and you can do it all on a single speed grinder. Don't say that
it can't be done - many of us have developed that knack over the years,
before the variable speed crap came along. It's really not all that
difficult. Sometimes it is really worth the effort to learn to just do it
properly, rather than looking for gadgetry to do the work for you.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

That's what I've been doing for the last few years. I can get my lathe tools pretty sharp on the regular grinder, but I've also made mistakes.

Mike
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:
That's what I've been doing for the last few years. I can get my
lathe tools pretty sharp on the regular grinder, but I've also made
mistakes.

Mike

replying so that others can understand the context of your comments.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, February 21, 2012 11:09:33 AM UTC-6, Mike Marlow wrote:
Michael wrote:
That's what I've been doing for the last few years. I can get my
lathe tools pretty sharp on the regular grinder, but I've also made
mistakes.

Mike

replying so that others can understand the context of your comments.

--

-Mike-

In response to your comment about using a non-variable speed grinder. I've been doing that for a few years. The larger tools are fine, but I've made mistakes with the smaller tools, and I think I would do a much better job with a lower moving wheel.

Mike
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:

I've been doing that for a few years. The larger tools are fine, but
I've made mistakes with the smaller tools, and I think I would do a
much better job with a lower moving wheel.

Yeah - the smaller tools offer more opportunity for oops moments. Let me
encourage you to work at that. You can easily master the knack, or the
touch for the smaller stuff. If you can do the bigger stuff, you can do the
smaller stuff - it only takes a little practice. Many of us touch up drill
bits on a 6" full speed grinder - you can do it if you work on developing
the touch. You just have to think "lighter". Kinda like a woman...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 19, 1:53*pm, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:
Stay away from dimmer switches. Motor variometers are much better choice.
I don't know that your motor can handle variable speed.

If you bought a 3450 grinder too bad. Way too fast. Even 1725-1750 in my
mind is too fast.

I use a 1725 rpm grinder with a coarse white friable alox wheel.
Haven't burned a tool yet. I don't even use a water dip.

If you have a grinder 3450, get a set of pillow blocks, and sheaves and
step down the speed. Remount the stone on the new shaft Use a sheave
like used on drill presses so you can adjust your speed.

Or use a smaller wheel. Halving the diameter has the same
effect as halving the speed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/19/2012 1:53 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
Stay away from dimmer switches. Motor variometers are much better choice.
I don't know that your motor can handle variable speed.

If you bought a 3450 grinder too bad. Way too fast. Even 1725-1750 in my
mind is too fast.

If you have a grinder 3450, get a set of pillow blocks, and sheaves and
step down the speed. Remount the stone on the new shaft Use a sheave
like used on drill presses so you can adjust your speed.

I've been grinding my lathe tools on a high speed grinder for 40 years,
no problemo. I am not alone, and I'm not [all that] special. The wheel
density/make up has a lot to do with how quickly things heat up.
Perhaps a different choice of wheels is in order?
--

Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:

I've been grinding my lathe tools on a high speed grinder for 40
years, no problemo. I am not alone, and I'm not [all that] special. The
wheel density/make up has a lot to do with how quickly things
heat up. Perhaps a different choice of wheels is in order?

Or maybe just learning how to use the tools without looking for magic
tricks. Sometimes you just have to learn - and not rely on something that
will eliminate that requirement.

It's really getting harder and harder to see people looking for shortcuts
simply because they just won't invest the time.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Jack wrote:

I've been grinding my lathe tools on a high speed grinder for 40
years, no problemo. I am not alone, and I'm not [all that] special. The
wheel density/make up has a lot to do with how quickly things
heat up. Perhaps a different choice of wheels is in order?

Or maybe just learning how to use the tools without looking for magic
tricks. Sometimes you just have to learn - and not rely on something that
will eliminate that requirement.

It's really getting harder and harder to see people looking for shortcuts
simply because they just won't invest the time.

-Mike-

I'm a fan of buying the right tool for the job. Sometimes, there can be
modifications that can be done safely, and the results are within
parameters. And sometimes performance and safety suffer. Not to mention
the user.

$.02

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:

I've been grinding my lathe tools on a high speed grinder for 40
years, no problemo. I am not alone, and I'm not [all that]
special. The wheel density/make up has a lot to do with how quickly
things heat up. Perhaps a different choice of wheels is in order?

Or maybe just learning how to use the tools without looking for magic
tricks. Sometimes you just have to learn - and not rely on
something that will eliminate that requirement.

It's really getting harder and harder to see people looking for
shortcuts simply because they just won't invest the time.

-Mike-

I'm a fan of buying the right tool for the job. Sometimes, there can
be modifications that can be done safely, and the results are within
parameters. And sometimes performance and safety suffer. Not to
mention the user.

$.02

I think I know where you are heading Steve, but your comments above just do
not make any sense to me. Sometimes..it might...just maybe...oh and throw
in safety...performance. But what does that really mean? Is that meant to
disagree with my position that just doing it and learning to do things is
valuable? I would not be insulted if you disagreed with me, but I really
cannot understand exactly what you are trying to say.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 22, 12:30*pm, Jack wrote:
On 2/19/2012 1:53 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

Stay away from dimmer switches. Motor variometers are much better choice.
I don't know that your motor can handle variable speed.

If you bought a 3450 grinder too bad. Way too fast. Even 1725-1750 in my
mind is too fast.

If you have a grinder 3450, get a set of pillow blocks, and sheaves and
step down the speed. Remount the stone on the new shaft Use a sheave
like used on drill presses so you can adjust your speed.

I've been grinding my lathe tools on a high speed grinder for 40 years,
no problemo. *I am not alone, and I'm not [all that] special. *The wheel
density/make up has a lot to do with how quickly things heat up.
Perhaps a different choice of wheels is in order?

Density, composition, and binder. Coarse white alox, vitrified
bond cuts fast. Vitrified bond means dull grains break off
the wheel, making it essentially self-dressing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:

[...]

If you can do it safely, and it works, that's good. I have just seen a lot
of jury rigging, and it ends up costing more than the right tool, and then
they have to go buy it, and the money's wasted.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:

If you can do it safely, and it works, that's good. I have just seen
a lot of jury rigging, and it ends up costing more than the right
tool, and then they have to go buy it, and the money's wasted.

Well - on that point I can agree somewhat. Those can be valuable lessons,
and worth a lot more than what can be gained from asking questions in a
forum, but I do agree that there is a cost to "experimenting". But then
again - one cannot really learn without experiencing mistakes. It's just
not possible to read your way to expertise.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

It's just not possible to read your way to expertise.

You can't buy talent, and there are no shortcuts to expertise. Sounds like
good lessons for aspiring musicians as well.

--
www.ewoodshop.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

It's just not possible to read your way to expertise.

You can't buy talent, and there are no shortcuts to expertise. Sounds
like good lessons for aspiring musicians as well.

Geezus - if I don't know that on both fronts!

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 23:39:52 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Steve B wrote:

If you can do it safely, and it works, that's good. I have just seen
a lot of jury rigging, and it ends up costing more than the right
tool, and then they have to go buy it, and the money's wasted.

Well - on that point I can agree somewhat. Those can be valuable lessons,
and worth a lot more than what can be gained from asking questions in a
forum, but I do agree that there is a cost to "experimenting". But then
again - one cannot really learn without experiencing mistakes.

Dittoes. And think of all the synergistic and serendipitous learning
which can come from the simple making of mistakes. Thomas Edison is a
perfect example, a man who pushed his way through his mistakes and
failures, all the way to a brilliant wink success. He theorized,
experimented, and failed his way through to 1093 patents.

It's just not possible to read your way to expertise.

No, expertise needs action/practice to mold its shape. But think of
the benefits to all if everyone read more. One truly can read their
way to competence.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/22/2012 12:47 PM, Steve B wrote:
"Mike wrote in message
Jack wrote:

I've been grinding my lathe tools on a high speed grinder for 40
years, no problemo. I am not alone, and I'm not [all that] special. The
wheel density/make up has a lot to do with how quickly things
heat up. Perhaps a different choice of wheels is in order?

Or maybe just learning how to use the tools without looking for magic
tricks. Sometimes you just have to learn - and not rely on something that
will eliminate that requirement.

It's really getting harder and harder to see people looking for shortcuts
simply because they just won't invest the time.

I'm a fan of buying the right tool for the job.

We all are. I'm not so sure a high speed grinder is not the right tool
for lathe tool sharpening.

Sometimes, there can be modifications that can be done safely, and the
results are within
parameters. And sometimes performance and safety suffer. Not to mention
the user.

Yabut grinders are fairly safe tools, I think. About all that can go
wrong grinding a lathe tool is the wrong angle and burning the temper.
Not saying I haven't looked at some of the fancy nancy low speed
sharpening gizmo's out there, but not so much for my lathe tools as
other things. Lathe tools work perfect right off the grinder, and need
no fancy honing and polishing.

If I didn't already have a high speed grinder, I probably could be
talked into a Griz low speed grinder, or more likely one of those fancy
nancy Tormek Wet Sharpening things. I would not jump though hoops to
slow down my bench grinder, which does a super job on my lathe tools,
not to mention grinding points on off screws, sharpens drills, lawnmower
blades and a million other things.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:

If you can do it safely, and it works, that's good. I have just seen
a lot of jury rigging, and it ends up costing more than the right
tool, and then they have to go buy it, and the money's wasted.

Well - on that point I can agree somewhat. Those can be valuable lessons,
and worth a lot more than what can be gained from asking questions in a
forum, but I do agree that there is a cost to "experimenting". But then
again - one cannot really learn without experiencing mistakes. It's just
not possible to read your way to expertise. -Mike-

Now, I totally disagree with your last sentence. America is full of
experts, people who are educated beyond their capacity, and most of them are
teachers or government employees.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Steve B wrote:
...snipped...
Now, I totally disagree with your last sentence. America is full of
experts, people who are educated beyond their capacity, and most of them are
teachers or government employees.

And the rest if them are usenet posters!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:

If you can do it safely, and it works, that's good. I have just
seen a lot of jury rigging, and it ends up costing more than the
right tool, and then they have to go buy it, and the money's wasted.

Well - on that point I can agree somewhat. Those can be valuable
lessons, and worth a lot more than what can be gained from asking
questions in a forum, but I do agree that there is a cost to
"experimenting". But then again - one cannot really learn without
experiencing mistakes. It's just not possible to read your way to
expertise. -Mike-

Now, I totally disagree with your last sentence. America is full of
experts, people who are educated beyond their capacity, and most of
them are teachers or government employees.

I rest my case. Especially regarding the last class of person you reference
above.

--

-Mike-