Posted to rec.woodworking
tiredofspam tiredofspam is offline

Default Inline speed control for a grinder

Stay away from dimmer switches. Motor variometers are much better choice.
I don't know that your motor can handle variable speed.

If you bought a 3450 grinder too bad. Way too fast. Even 1725-1750 in my
mind is too fast.

If you have a grinder 3450, get a set of pillow blocks, and sheaves and
step down the speed. Remount the stone on the new shaft Use a sheave
like used on drill presses so you can adjust your speed.

On 2/19/2012 11:07 AM, Sonny wrote:
Though I don't know for sure, I would think it is an inline switch to
slow or speed up the grinder/grinding speed, similar to a dimmer
switch for a light. If they (in the link) suspect the Craftsman is
adaptable for one, you might ask at Sears what it is and/or if it's
available.

Sonny