Posted to rec.woodworking
Stuart[_5_] Stuart[_5_] is offline

Default Inline speed control for a grinder

In article
,
Sonny wrote:
Though I don't know for sure, I would think it is an inline switch to
slow or speed up the grinder/grinding speed, similar to a dimmer
switch for a light. If they (in the link) suspect the Craftsman is
adaptable for one, you might ask at Sears what it is and/or if it's
available.

Only "universal" motors can have speed control of the "dimmer-switch"
type. Those with a capacitor, the more usual motors fitted to grinders
etc, cannot be varied in speed. If a manufacturer has built a speed
control into a machine it is, of course, going to work fine.

The Craftsman quotes a 1/6th hp motor - forget it. The moment you start
trying to grind something it'll slow right down

--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
http://www.asciiribbon.org