Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Another Nail Gun Incident

On 1/23/2012 5:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/23/12 5:09 PM, Josepi wrote:
Some believe that their nail guns have a special type of velocity that
only penetrates wood and can't fly further than the length of the nail,
in air, too.

Let's see who has the details and where they get them from.

I believe it was someone claiming a nail gun could kill a man from a
half mile.

...and it's still bull****.

I would doubt if it could happen if in excess of maybe 20'.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/23/12 6:52 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/23/2012 5:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/23/12 5:09 PM, Josepi wrote:
Some believe that their nail guns have a special type of velocity that
only penetrates wood and can't fly further than the length of the nail,
in air, too.

Let's see who has the details and where they get them from.

I believe it was someone claiming a nail gun could kill a man from a
half mile.

...and it's still bull****.

I would doubt if it could happen if in excess of maybe 20'.

I would say much less than that.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/23/2012 7:25 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/23/12 6:52 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/23/2012 5:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/23/12 5:09 PM, Josepi wrote:
Some believe that their nail guns have a special type of velocity that
only penetrates wood and can't fly further than the length of the nail,
in air, too.

Let's see who has the details and where they get them from.

I believe it was someone claiming a nail gun could kill a man from a
half mile.

...and it's still bull****.

I would doubt if it could happen if in excess of maybe 20'.

I would say much less than that.

I always thought 2~3 feet would be the dangerous zone. With no barrel
at all to channel the energy the nail pretty much starts decelerating
and loosing direction the moment the it looses contact with the hammer.

I think hollywood has distorted the actual results when using one as a
weapon.

Posted to rec.woodworking

news

"Leon" wrote in message

On 1/23/2012 7:25 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/23/12 6:52 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/23/2012 5:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/23/12 5:09 PM, Josepi wrote:
Some believe that their nail guns have a special type of velocity that
only penetrates wood and can't fly further than the length of the
nail,
in air, too.

Let's see who has the details and where they get them from.

I believe it was someone claiming a nail gun could kill a man from a
half mile.

...and it's still bull****.

I would doubt if it could happen if in excess of maybe 20'.

I would say much less than that.

I always thought 2~3 feet would be the dangerous zone. With no barrel
at all to channel the energy the nail pretty much starts decelerating
and loosing direction the moment the it looses contact with the hammer.

I think hollywood has distorted the actual results when using one as a
weapon.

Some cartridge firing nail guns are capable of nail velocities of over 1000
fps. Pneumatic ones much less.
Kerry

Posted to rec.woodworking

news

"Leon" wrote in message

On 1/23/2012 7:25 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/23/12 6:52 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/23/2012 5:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/23/12 5:09 PM, Josepi wrote:
[...]

YABUT... if they don't go through a 3/4 plywood when you miss the joist
at point blank, why would anyone believe they could penetrate ANYthing
at any distance? I doubt you could get a nail to stick in a pumpkin at 20'.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

The nail head would stop it from going through the plywood. They do burst
through thin materials if you miss the "meat" underneath.

-----
"Steve Barker" wrote in message
YABUT... if they don't go through a 3/4 plywood when you miss the joist
at point blank, why would anyone believe they could penetrate ANYthing
at any distance? I doubt you could get a nail to stick in a pumpkin at 20'.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/24/2012 11:10 PM, Kerry Montgomery wrote:

I think hollywood has distorted the actual results when using one as a
weapon.

Some cartridge firing nail guns are capable of nail velocities of over 1000
fps. Pneumatic ones much less.
Kerry

I could not disagree, but all energy is spent once the nail looses
contact with the hammer. The heat and expanding gasses do not touch the
nail like they do with a bullet in a gun barrel. I think the energy
loss would be great on a nail
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 1/24/2012 11:10 PM, Kerry Montgomery wrote:

I think hollywood has distorted the actual results when using one
as a weapon.

Some cartridge firing nail guns are capable of nail velocities of
over 1000 fps. Pneumatic ones much less.
Kerry

I could not disagree, but all energy is spent once the nail looses
contact with the hammer. The heat and expanding gasses do not touch
the nail like they do with a bullet in a gun barrel. I think the
energy loss would be great on a nail

I don't know what the muzzle velocity of a nail is, from any kind of gun,
but muzzle velocity is muzzle velocity. It does not rely upon gasses or
heat, as it is something that is already attained. The gasses would be
instrumental in developing the muzzle velocity, but have no effect once the
projectile leaves the "barrel".

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 1/24/2012 11:10 PM, Kerry Montgomery wrote:

I think hollywood has distorted the actual results when using one
as a weapon.

Some cartridge firing nail guns are capable of nail velocities of
over 1000 fps. Pneumatic ones much less.
Kerry

I could not disagree, but all energy is spent once the nail looses
contact with the hammer. The heat and expanding gasses do not touch
the nail like they do with a bullet in a gun barrel. I think the
energy loss would be great on a nail

Kind of repeating myself from a different responce here, but like you Leon -
I really do not know either. I was surprised to see a velocity that high.
Don't know if it's accurate or not, and I'm too lazy to look it up to see.
If it is accurate, then all other points such as gasses, etc. are mute (I
know... moot...), because by whatever black magic, they found a way to
attain that velocity. At that point, gasses and barrels, and all that other
stuff is irrelevant.

I too believe the energy loss would be quite high. The nail is a horrible
aerodynamic shape, with a lot of drag generated by the head. It lacks any
form of stabilization in flight (such as spin from a barrel's twist), and
its mass is very low. All that said, I'm not sure what I would expect the
trajectory to be like. I could easily doubt the 1 mile stuff that was
bantered about here in a previous thread, but at distances under 20 yards -
I don't know what I'd expect it to be. If it shot like the one video clip
that someone posted (where they shot a clay pigeon at 25 yards), I'd
consider that to be more of a fluke than an expected trajectory. At best, I
would not expect it to fly in a predictable orientation - but again - that's
just gut level thought without really thinking it through. I have been
surprised before...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/2012 10:43 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 1/24/2012 11:10 PM, Kerry Montgomery wrote:

I think hollywood has distorted the actual results when using one
as a weapon.

Some cartridge firing nail guns are capable of nail velocities of
over 1000 fps. Pneumatic ones much less.
Kerry

I could not disagree, but all energy is spent once the nail looses
contact with the hammer. The heat and expanding gasses do not touch
the nail like they do with a bullet in a gun barrel. I think the
energy loss would be great on a nail

I don't know what the muzzle velocity of a nail is, from any kind of gun,
but muzzle velocity is muzzle velocity. It does not rely upon gasses or
heat, as it is something that is already attained. The gasses would be
instrumental in developing the muzzle velocity, but have no effect once the
projectile leaves the "barrel".

Correct however a barrel helps to define the path that the projectile
will travel and puts a spin on the bullet to help keep it going straight.

Not sure where I am going here. ;~) but I firmly believe the lack of a
barrel on a nail gun is what would cause the nail to loose speed much
more quickly than say a bullet traveling at the same initial speed
through a barrel.

Basically initial speeds being equal I believe the nail speed would be
much fewer feet per second, per second than that of a bullet.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/2012 11:00 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
[...]

Just responded to you other post before reading this. I believe you and
I are on the same page here. ;~)

I have seen hollywood use a nail gun to shoot like a simi automatic
accurately into objects 30~40 feet away. That ain't going to happen. I
think many might believe this could happen.

Might be an interesting experiment however, defeat the safety and shoot
at the back yard fence to see if the nails stick or bounce off or even
reach the fence. My money would be on not reaching.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
On 1/24/2012 11:10 PM, Kerry Montgomery wrote:

I think hollywood has distorted the actual results when using one
as a weapon.

Some cartridge firing nail guns are capable of nail velocities of
over 1000 fps. Pneumatic ones much less.
Kerry

I could not disagree, but all energy is spent once the nail looses
contact with the hammer. The heat and expanding gasses do not touch
the nail like they do with a bullet in a gun barrel. I think the
energy loss would be great on a nail

I don't know what the muzzle velocity of a nail is, from any kind of gun,
but muzzle velocity is muzzle velocity. It does not rely upon gasses or
heat, as it is something that is already attained. The gasses would be
instrumental in developing the muzzle velocity, but have no effect once
the projectile leaves the "barrel".

Yup... the internal ballistics end at the muzzle. A cursory examination of
the exterior ballistics, i.e., what happens in the travel through the air,
would probably reveal poor stability in flight and poor accuracy for a nail.
Both these issues would stem from the lack of gyro effect due to the lack of
spin caused by rifling, as well as the likelihood of variance caused by
imbalances (e.g., the wire fragments, glue, etc. stuck to the nail, as well
as general manufacturing irregularities in the head and point). All those
factors would also likely lead to a relatively quick shedding of velocity
compared to a rifle/pistol bullet starting out at a similar velocity.

One of the stories I read about the incident leading to this thread also
brought up the issue of terminal ballistics, i.e., what happens when the
projectile strikes and enters the target. The article noted that the nail
was hard and retained it's shape during it's trip into the guy's head. In
regards to bullets, that would most closely resemble full metal jacket
and/or armor piercing bullets as compared to soft or hollow points. Net
result is a small shock wave and smaller crush/tear area compared to
commonly used defensive, hunting and target ammo...

That said, both projectile types could be lethal and both would inflict
damage... Be Safe Out There!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 11:25:56 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
Might be an interesting experiment however, defeat the safety and shoot
at the back yard fence to see if the nails stick or bounce off or even
reach the fence. My money would be on not reaching.

Another thing to consider is that nail guns are designed to inject a
nail to a preconfigured depth in the wood. They don't produce an
unrestricted hit to a nail that happens when a bullet is impacted by
the explosion of the gases.

Besides defeating the safety on a nail gun, the depth control
adjustment would also have to be defeated. I doubt that's easily
possible on many/most nail guns.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Correct however a barrel helps to define the path that the projectile
will travel and puts a spin on the bullet to help keep it going
straight.
Not sure where I am going here. ;~) but I firmly believe the lack of
a barrel on a nail gun is what would cause the nail to loose speed
much more quickly than say a bullet traveling at the same initial
speed through a barrel.

Indeed, the lack of a twist in a barrel could cause a loss of velocity -
projectile looses stability and begins to tumble. But - that is out at some
distance, and I couldn't hazzard a guess at what that distance is. That's
what makes the 1 mile story such crap, but at under 20 feet - maybe a
realistic issue.

Basically initial speeds being equal I believe the nail speed would be
much fewer feet per second, per second than that of a bullet.

That's exactly what I thought so I did a very small amount of looking on
google. Much to my surprise - it appears these things can travel upwards of
1400 fps. That's half again faster than a .45, on par with a .41 or a .40
or a 9mm, and half of what an average deer rifle will throw. However - as I
had said, it's more than just muzzle velocity. That number can look scarey
to some, but it's only part of the equation.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Might be an interesting experiment however, defeat the safety and
shoot at the back yard fence to see if the nails stick or bounce off
or even reach the fence. My money would be on not reaching.

I'll go out on a fence here and agree that I'd suspect most would not reach
and those that did would not reach in a point forward orientation. Of those
that accomplished both, I'd suspect that very few would inflict any real
harm - unless you were running and got shot in the eye with the scissors...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave wrote:

Another thing to consider is that nail guns are designed to inject a
nail to a preconfigured depth in the wood. They don't produce an
unrestricted hit to a nail that happens when a bullet is impacted by
the explosion of the gases.

Don't understand what you are saying here Dave - can you run that by me
again? I'm confused by the "unrestricted hit" part of what you're saying.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike is about to use the high tech tools on his yapp..... duct
tape!!!

SURPRISE!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UMdI...eature=related

----------------------
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

m II wrote:

ROFLMAO.. and the room goes quiet!!!

Well - as it relates to posts from you... one can only hope...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Not sure where I am going here. ;~) but I firmly believe the lack of
a barrel on a nail gun is what would cause the nail to loose speed
much more quickly than say a bullet traveling at the same initial
speed through a barrel.

Sorry Leon - should have included this with my previous reply. The lack of
a barrel has nothing to do with the ability to maintain velocity. Velocity
is developed and at the point that the projectile leaves the barrel, it has
velocity. Whatever that velocity is. After that - it's all a matter of
aerodynamics. Since nails are not engineered to support such issues as
drag, and since there is no imparted spin to stabilize the nail, it will
lose velocity much more quickly than a bullet fired at a similar velocity.
So - you are close, in that the nail will not maintain or even benefit from
that velocity in the way that a bullet does, but it does not have anything
to do with the presence of a barrel. It's all about aerodynamics once it's
in the air.

Basically initial speeds being equal I believe the nail speed would be
much fewer feet per second, per second than that of a bullet.

At some distance out from the point of firing - yes. I just don't know what
that point is. More than a few feet, but less than the distance around a
polish woman's ass...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave has another nail gun that can fire a nail into wood 3.25" but
can't launch it more than 6" in air. I love watching the Three Stooges
shoot themselves in the foot, here!!!
You know the ones that get fired from the cabinet maker shop 'cause,
"nobody liked him"

OOOOOOOOOPS......
Come on, say it!
"Explosive gases propel objects with a different kind of velocity than
air does."

LOL

---------

------------
From: Dave
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Subject: Another Nail Gun Incident

Posted to rec.woodworking

m II wrote:
Mike is about to use the high tech tools on his yapp..... duct
tape!!!

SURPRISE!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UMdI...eature=related

Dude - you really need to check into a ward. Giving you access to your
mom's computer did not prove to be the benefit that your therapist had hoped
for. Oh well - at least it's entertainment for you.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

m II wrote:
I loved making the video, just for you!!

Maybe you can use the nailgun to shoot some crow.

Nah - I'll just continue to let you shoot yourself in the ass with your own
comments.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/12 1:08 PM, m II wrote:
ROFLMAO.. and the room goes quiet!!!

-------------
"Josepi" wrote in message news
Here I made a video for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wlkN...endscreen&NR=1

Not all of us are sitting in mom's basement, twiddling our fingers, just
waiting for the next social interaction to validate our miserable lives.

I saw the video. If it wasn't faked, it's about on the money for what I
would expect. I'll have to ask my friend who owns a trap and skeet
range, but I'm fairly certain clay targets come in many different
densities. Some wouldn't survive being dropped on a concrete floor. I
don't know about the one in the video, but it's very possible a BB gun
could've produced the same results.

As far as the nail "sticking in the plywood" behind the clay target...
did you happen to notice it looked like swiss cheese from the thousand
or so holes already in it?

In any case, given the circumstances in that video, I would wear a face
mask and normal street clothes, stand in front of that target and let
them shoot away. Heck, let me wear my umpire gear and I'd stand 10 feet
closer. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/2012 12:15 AM, Josepi wrote:
Here I made a video for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wlkN...endscreen&NR=1

--------
"Steve Barker" wrote in message
YABUT... if they don't go through a 3/4 plywood when you miss the joist
at point blank, why would anyone believe they could penetrate ANYthing
at any distance? I doubt you could get a nail to stick in a pumpkin at 20'.

i call bull**** on that also. no way they'd fly that far and still have
any power.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 1/25/12 1:08 PM, m II wrote:
[...]

I'm guessing it was faked...

RE the hole in the clay pigeon, it wouldn't surprise me to punch a hole in
the web area like that without it shattering. I've picked up many a clay at
the range with holes in them but other wise intact... I've got one sitting
on my workbench (at least I think I still do) with 9 holes/chips in it that
were made with a shotgun while it was flying through the air. Not only did
it survive the hits but it survived hitting the ground!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/2012 1:08 PM, m II wrote:
ROFLMAO.. and the room goes quiet!!!

not quiet at all. just at work. I'll have my nail gun going later,
i'll disprove this easy enough.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/2012 1:42 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/25/12 1:08 PM, m II wrote:
[...]

i shoot clay and i can assure you that they are like paper in the center.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 14:16:21 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
Don't understand what you are saying here Dave - can you run that by me
again? I'm confused by the "unrestricted hit" part of what you're saying.

I'm saying that nails from a nail gun are driven with a preconfigured
amount of force. That's evidenced by the fact that you can set the
depth that a nail is driven. In other words, all nail speeds are
muzzled and controlled to a certain extent.

If all of this is so, then it seems obvious to me that the nails
aren't driven with as much force as the gun could ultimately muster.
Compare that to a bullet. The explosion propelling a bullet isn't
muzzled in any way. That control is solely at the discretion of the
amount of powder and the explosion it makes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sorry Dave. That is an incorrect assumption.

The depth is only the depth of the push rod not the "explosive" energy
provided. There is no "muzzling" of energy. This only works when the
resistance of penetrating an object is encountered.

Have a look at your framing nailer (If you have one) or other nailer and you
will see the depth control is not really very functional. Most framers will
adjust the air pressure t accomplish what you are referring to.

Somebody mentioned over 1000 fps. I doubt that out of a nail gun as I have
seen the trajectory of a few and compared to a rifle there is no comparison.
Possibly about 500 fps seems more reasonable to me.

-----------
"Dave" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 14:16:21 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
I'm saying that nails from a nail gun are driven with a preconfigured
amount of force. That's evidenced by the fact that you can set the
depth that a nail is driven. In other words, all nail speeds are
muzzled and controlled to a certain extent.

If all of this is so, then it seems obvious to me that the nails
aren't driven with as much force as the gun could ultimately muster.
Compare that to a bullet. The explosion propelling a bullet isn't
muzzled in any way. That control is solely at the discretion of the
amount of powder and the explosion it makes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not talking about powder-operated fasteners here, but let's consider. As
a previous poster pointed out, a nail gun can drive a (say) 10d nail
through 3 inches of wood. You know what? in my younger and healthier
days, I could take a framing hammer, and after a few setup taps, also
drive a 10d nail through 3 inches of wood in a single hit, too.

So, it must stand to reason then, that if the nail gun can kill at
a distance, I should be able to (with practice of course) toss that nail
up in the air, strike it with my hammer as it falls, and propel it to
a lethal hit with similar performance to the nail gun, right? What do
you guys think? Somehow I don't think I'll be doing any hunting
with hammer and nails any time soon...

(I have no idea where that poster got the 100 mph figure though, which
comes to mere 150 or so feet per second, not a lot faster than what a
good major league pitcher can do to a baseball. Even the most anemic
modern pistol rounds move at more like 800 fps. Personally, I'd rather
get hit with a nail at 150 mph than a baseball at 100)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/2012 2:42 PM, Dave wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 14:16:21 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
Don't understand what you are saying here Dave - can you run that by me
again? I'm confused by the "unrestricted hit" part of what you're saying.

I'm saying that nails from a nail gun are driven with a preconfigured
amount of force. That's evidenced by the fact that you can set the
depth that a nail is driven. In other words, all nail speeds are
muzzled and controlled to a certain extent.

If all of this is so, then it seems obvious to me that the nails
aren't driven with as much force as the gun could ultimately muster.
Compare that to a bullet. The explosion propelling a bullet isn't
muzzled in any way. That control is solely at the discretion of the
amount of powder and the explosion it makes.

I could be wrong here but this is something to think about. I have a
Bostitch framing nailer. The depth is set at the guard area and unless
I am mistaken the nail is driven with the same force however the
adjustment limits how close the nailer is to the work, the force remains
the same. I know that some nailers use different air pressures to limit
nail depth.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I'm skeptical of those 1000 fps velocities for nail guns. Consider that
a powder fastener uses a .22 cal or .27 cal cartridge. The .22, anyway,
is about the same size as a .22 rimfire firearm cartridge. Look at how light
a .22 cal bullet is; the muzzle velocity from a rifle barrel of a .22 long
rifle standard velocity round is only in the neighborhood of 1200 fps.
How could a nail gun possibly propel a much heavier nail at 1000 fps?

..

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 09:40:26 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/24/2012 11:10 PM, Kerry Montgomery wrote:

I think hollywood has distorted the actual results when using one as a
weapon.

Some cartridge firing nail guns are capable of nail velocities of over 1000
fps. Pneumatic ones much less.
Kerry

I could not disagree, but all energy is spent once the nail looses
contact with the hammer. The heat and expanding gasses do not touch the
nail like they do with a bullet in a gun barrel. I think the energy
loss would be great on a nail

Bzzzzzzzzzzzt! Once the nail or bullet reach their relative speeds,
either from the solenoid/piston or the gunpowder/barrel, the mass of
either keeps it going to its target. Nails travel at a slower speed
for a shorter distance, but across the room, there is probably little
to no loss. That thing -will- hurt you.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that treating
nail gun wounds costs at least $338 million per year nationally in
emergency medical care, rehabilitation, and workers' compensation[1].
Often personnel selling the tools know little about the dangers
associated with their use or safety features that can prevent
injuries. Tell your friend, Gass, to get right on it. sigh

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 14:39:21 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

m II wrote:
I loved making the video, just for you!!

Maybe you can use the nailgun to shoot some crow.

Nah - I'll just continue to let you shoot yourself in the ass with your own
comments.

Taking you out of the filter hasn't improved your netiquette, sir.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.
-- J. Arthur Thomson

Nasty Nailgun Incident (pic) Brad Stewart Woodworking Plans and Photos 8 May 6th 09 05:08 AM
gch incident mikehh UK diy 0 January 8th 08 03:30 PM
Marine dies in Non-combat incident in Anbar province. A Marine assigned to Multi National Force-West died March 14 in a noncombat related incident in Al Anbar Province. BGKM Woodworking 0 March 16th 07 04:22 PM
concrete nails/coil nail/roofing nail/umbrella nail Bruce Chow Home Repair 0 November 22nd 05 02:32 AM
Is there a difference btw a Finish nail gun and Brad nail gun? dteckie Woodworking 4 September 10th 04 12:03 PM