Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Another Nail Gun Incident

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 09:40:26 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/24/2012 11:10 PM, Kerry Montgomery wrote:

I think hollywood has distorted the actual results when using one as a
weapon.

Some cartridge firing nail guns are capable of nail velocities of over 1000
fps. Pneumatic ones much less.
Kerry

I could not disagree, but all energy is spent once the nail looses
contact with the hammer. The heat and expanding gasses do not touch the
nail like they do with a bullet in a gun barrel. I think the energy
loss would be great on a nail

Bzzzzzzzzzzzt! Once the nail or bullet reach their relative speeds,
either from the solenoid/piston or the gunpowder/barrel, the mass of
either keeps it going to its target. Nails travel at a slower speed
for a shorter distance, but across the room, there is probably little
to no loss. That thing -will- hurt you.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission estimates that treating
nail gun wounds costs at least $338 million per year nationally in
emergency medical care, rehabilitation, and workers' compensation[1].
Often personnel selling the tools know little about the dangers
associated with their use or safety features that can prevent
injuries. Tell your friend, Gass, to get right on it. sigh

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear
ideas in the minds of energetic men of good will.