Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Another Nail Gun Incident

On 1/24/2012 11:10 PM, Kerry Montgomery wrote:
wrote in message
news
No! it was claimed a battery operated tackgun could kill an elephant
through a 1/2" plate steel barrier at over 1.5 km.

----------

"Leon" wrote in message

On 1/23/2012 7:25 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/23/12 6:52 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/23/2012 5:46 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/23/12 5:09 PM, Josepi wrote:
Some believe that their nail guns have a special type of velocity that
only penetrates wood and can't fly further than the length of the
nail,
in air, too.

Let's see who has the details and where they get them from.

I believe it was someone claiming a nail gun could kill a man from a
half mile.

...and it's still bull****.

I would doubt if it could happen if in excess of maybe 20'.

I would say much less than that.

I always thought 2~3 feet would be the dangerous zone. With no barrel
at all to channel the energy the nail pretty much starts decelerating
and loosing direction the moment the it looses contact with the hammer.

I think hollywood has distorted the actual results when using one as a
weapon.

Some cartridge firing nail guns are capable of nail velocities of over 1000
fps. Pneumatic ones much less.
Kerry

YABUT... if they don't go through a 3/4 plywood when you miss the joist
at point blank, why would anyone believe they could penetrate ANYthing
at any distance? I doubt you could get a nail to stick in a pumpkin at 20'.

--
Steve Barker