Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mike Gerdts

Default Router bits - 1/4" vs. 1/2" , which brands

I am in the process of getting a few tools together for various projects
I would like to tackle. The first project (a bed) will require some
mortise and tenon joinery. For the types of pieces I need to work with,
it looks as though some shop-made jigs and a router will be the best
way to go. Future products will likely involve some raised panel doors.

I currently have a ~20 year old low-end Craftsman router with a 1/4"
collet and a few cheap bits. As I have begun looking at adding to my
collection of bits, I have come to the realization that it doesn't
take that many decent quality bits to add up to more than my router
is worth. My guess is that my next router would have at least a 1/2"
collet and ideally would have a 1/4" collet as well. That begs the
question - which bits is it worthwhile to buy with a 1/4" shank?

Question 1:

For my first project, I anticipate needing something along the lines
of a 1/4" spiral (mortises) and a 1/2" straight (tenons). Is it
reaonsable to assume that I should be able to get decent performance
out of a 1/4" shank on these bits?

Question 2:

When trying to do raisesd panel doors, does a 1/4" shank provide enough
stability to get decent results?

Question 3:

I assume that I will be looking for carbide-tipped bits. What brands
should I consider? I don't want to buy throw-away bits, but at the
same time, I am not doing production runs.

TIA,
Mike