patriarch

Default Router bits - 1/4" vs. 1/2" , which brands

Mike Gerdts wrote in
:

Wes Stewart wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:23:25 GMT, Mike Gerdts
wrote:
|Question 2:
|
|When trying to do raisesd panel doors, does a 1/4" shank provide enough
|stability to get decent results?

No way. Frankly, I haven't done these with a router. I use the table
saw, which of course limits the profile. If I decide to get fancier,
I'll look into the vertical bits.

I was rather surprised when I saw that raised door kits were available
in 1/4" shanks. That was way beyond my expectation for that small of
a piece of metal moving that fast. One other thing that I didn't take
into consideration is that the only way I get variable speed is by
repeatedly squeezing and releasing the trigger...

I have seen the table saw method described in books, but it seems as
though the edge of the blade would leave a rather sharp edge between
the bevel and the face of the panel. Does this not happen, or does
it normally get knocked down with sandpaper, a plane, etc.? My current
TS is rather lacking as well ($179 sears special ~5 years back). I'm
leaning toward the Ridgid TW3560. The Borg just dropped it to $549
and it has a $100 gift card rebate.

If cutting mortises is your primary consideration, think about a
dedicated hollow chisel mortiser instead of the
router/bit/fixture/edge guide/guide bushing.....

I was at first heading that direction, but I started looking at the
things I can do with a mortiser and the things that I can do with
a router or a drill press. Arguably, the mortiser is a bit more
limited in its use. In looking around the net (Amazon reviews, etc.)
it seems as though the one that is in my price range (Delta 14-651
@188 + ~44 for a bit) has rather mixed reviews.

Thanks for the feedback that everyone has given. To a large part
it has confirmed my suspicions.

Mike

Mike, before you go too much futher, spend $40 on this book:

http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/070534.asp

Andy Rae's Complete Illustrated Guide to Furniture and Cabinet
Construction. It's cheaper than a good raised panel router bit, and shows
a whole bunch of safe alternative methods to doing lots of the things you
will be trying to do, if I read your intentions from your posts.

There are a few good tool recommendations in there, too.

Patriarch