Henry E Schaffer

Default Router bits - 1/4" vs. 1/2" , which brands

In article ,
Mike Gerdts wrote:
I currently have a ~20 year old low-end Craftsman router with a 1/4"
collet and a few cheap bits. As I have begun looking at adding to my
collection of bits, I have come to the realization that it doesn't
take that many decent quality bits to add up to more than my router
is worth. My guess is that my next router would have at least a 1/2"
collet and ideally would have a 1/4" collet as well. That begs the
question - which bits is it worthwhile to buy with a 1/4" shank?

Question 1:

For my first project, I anticipate needing something along the lines
of a 1/4" spiral (mortises) and a 1/2" straight (tenons). Is it
reaonsable to assume that I should be able to get decent performance
out of a 1/4" shank on these bits?

I'll disagree with the others - I think you should be able to get
"decent" (not superb) performance. A 1/2" straight with the common 1"
or so cutting edge will work decently with an underpowered 1/4" router.
Don't try to remove too much wood per pass.

Question 2:

When trying to do raisesd panel doors, does a 1/4" shank provide enough
stability to get decent results?

Here I agree with everyone else - this would be a bad idea. It also
can strain some of the 1/2" collet routers, and also require a speed
reduction capability.

--henry schaffer
hes _AT_ ncsu _DOT_ edu