patriarch

Default Router bits - 1/4" vs. 1/2" , which brands

Mike Gerdts wrote in
:

snipped

Opinions are inserted:

Question 1:

For my first project, I anticipate needing something along the lines
of a 1/4" spiral (mortises) and a 1/2" straight (tenons). Is it
reaonsable to assume that I should be able to get decent performance
out of a 1/4" shank on these bits?

As important as the collet/shank size is, for the mortise cutting, you will
need either an accurate adjustable fence on your plunge router, or a good
jig, with a template-following method which is accurate, safe and
repeatable. Determine whether your current router offers any of those
features, before proceding. Otherwise, find other means of safely cutting
the mortise and tenons, or find a new router.

Question 2:

When trying to do raisesd panel doors, does a 1/4" shank provide enough
stability to get decent results?

Few responsible manufacturers will even offer these bits. Product
liability is one good reason.

And NO ONE recommends doing these 'free hand'. At very least, you will
need a basic router table. Shop made is fine. Alternative means of
raising panels include, among others, using hand planes, or a table saw.

Question 3:

I assume that I will be looking for carbide-tipped bits. What brands
should I consider? I don't want to buy throw-away bits, but at the
same time, I am not doing production runs.

It's easy to get carried away buying bits. Go slowly.

But work safely. Have fun. Think through each operation carefully. Most
of all, when that little voice in your head says "I'm not comfortable with
this!", stop, and think it through again. And find someone to talk it over
with. Tools can bite you hard.

Patriarch