Bay Area Dave

Default Anybody actually seen this new safety device?

Krow wrote:

Charlie Self wrote:

Bruce Barnett asks:

SNIP

Ayup. And they say $150 up front cost (if installed on the assembly
line) and a
$75 cartridge replacement cost, but say nothing of the strain on the
arbor and
trunnions when the assembly instantly drops below the table and is
jammed to a
stop.

Charlie Self
"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has
descended from
man."
H. L. Mencken

Think about what you're saying here. IF it works, I'm wondering if I
ran my fingers into the blade and it snapped my arbor and trunnions -
destroyed my saw - but didn't leave me fingerless, would I feel I'd
rather have lost my fingers (or arm or...) than the saw? I don't know
of any piece of machinery anywhere that I'd trade for any body part.

Keith

so you are WILLING to use poorly thought-out technology that
self-destructs instead of voting with your dollars to demand
that any mfgr. who wants a piece of the "safe" table saw
market make a unit that works WITHOUT SELF-DESTRUCTING??

dave

Charlie Self

Krow responds:

[...]

Ah, well...why would you "run your fingers" into the blade.

First, that's not the only choice, and it is almost an incidental one as minor
table saw accidents far outnumber even single digit amputations. Second, if
you're so bloody nervous about running your fingers into the saw blade, buy a
Brett Guard or one of the others on the market. Very effective, easy to use, no
false positives, a great addition to any table saw, with proven technology that
even adds a dust collector point to the top of your table saw blade, where it's
really needed.

The trade is not necessarily a body part for a destroyed PM 66. It's more
likely to be a moderate cut for the same PM 66. Or a false reading when you're
10' away from the saw.

Your hands. Your money.

Charlie Self
"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from
man."
H. L. Mencken

Leon

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message

so you are WILLING to use poorly thought-out technology that
self-destructs instead of voting with your dollars to demand
that any mfgr. who wants a piece of the "safe" table saw
market make a unit that works WITHOUT SELF-DESTRUCTING??

I suppose you have documentation that indicates that the saw self destructs.

Doug Miller

In article , "xrongor" wrote:
No, it's not clear at all _what_ you intended. Try "No. For every fool

who
thinks he is invincible and may get hurt due to lack of respect there

would
be others that didn't get their hand cut off because the sawstop worked."

you want me to cut your steak for you to g

In "On Writing Well" William Zinsser wrote "the purpose of writing is not to
make oneself understood; rather, it is to make it impossible to be
misunderstood."

--
Regards,

xrongor

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.. .
In article , "xrongor"

wrote:
No, it's not clear at all _what_ you intended. Try "No. For every

fool
who
thinks he is invincible and may get hurt due to lack of respect there

would
be others that didn't get their hand cut off because the sawstop

worked."

you want me to cut your steak for you to g

In "On Writing Well" William Zinsser wrote "the purpose of writing is not

make oneself understood; rather, it is to make it impossible to be
misunderstood."

which is, impossible.

randy

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 20:16:32 GMT, Krow
wrote:

Charlie Self wrote:

[...]

nobody is gonna argue that saving a finger from amputation is worth
more than a machine.

what is not acceptable is having a system foisted off on us in the
name of safety that randomly disables your table saw until you
replace a $75 part that is available from only one vendor, who has so
far a track record of being unable to deliver *anything* when they
promise to, who believes their path to economic success in the
marketplace is to hire lawyers to pass legislation that makes
*everyone* with a saw buy their product. **** that.

what will happen is that after a few false trips and a few hundred
dollars ****ed away most people will override the damn thing. then you
will have a bunch of machines in use with NO safety equipment.... sort
of like every table saw I've ever used. guess what? I still have all
of my fingers, and I've been using tablesaws professionally for over
20 years.
J. Clarke

Leon wrote:

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message

so you are WILLING to use poorly thought-out technology that
self-destructs instead of voting with your dollars to demand
that any mfgr. who wants a piece of the "safe" table saw
market make a unit that works WITHOUT SELF-DESTRUCTING??

I suppose you have documentation that indicates that the saw self
destructs.

Whether the saw self-destructs is one thing, the device itself
self-destructing is quite well established. Brush finger against side of
blade, saw stops. You're dead in the water until the can send you a new
cartridge.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Bay Area Dave

Leon wrote:

"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message

so you are WILLING to use poorly thought-out technology that
self-destructs instead of voting with your dollars to demand
that any mfgr. who wants a piece of the "safe" table saw
market make a unit that works WITHOUT SELF-DESTRUCTING??

I suppose you have documentation that indicates that the saw self destructs.

no! I was foolishly relying on what another poster
mentioned about the operation of the SawStop. WHAT WAS I
THINKING???!!

Leon, I don't have enough interest in the SawStop to
investigate their various claims. I've given it a cursory
look-see and dismissed it. My Unisaw will most likely be my
last TS. Not that it MIGHT be a worthwhile investment for
someone in the market for an overpriced TS.

dave

Bay Area Dave

wrote:

Charlie Self wrote:

[...]

so IF you override the safety is there a big red warning
flag that pops ups to alert all users that it is now just a
"regular" TS??

dave

Bay Area Dave

Bay Area Dave wrote:

Not that it MIGHT be a
worthwhile investment for someone in the market for an overpriced TS.

dave

looks like I left out a "not" after "MIGHT". kinda, sorta
changes the meaning of the last sentence to what I was
intending. g

dave

Leon

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
Whether the saw self-destructs is one thing, the device itself
self-destructing is quite well established. Brush finger against side of
blade, saw stops. You're dead in the water until the can send you a new
cartridge.

Yeah I am sure no one would have the fore site to get an extra cartridge
when they buy the saw.

This whole thread on this matter is the republicans against the democrats.
Neither side is completely wrong.

J. Clarke

Leon wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Leon wrote:
Whether the saw self-destructs is one thing, the device itself
self-destructing is quite well established. Brush finger against side of
blade, saw stops. You're dead in the water until the can send you a new
cartridge.

Yeah I am sure no one would have the fore site to get an extra cartridge
when they buy the saw.

How often does the thing false? If it does it often you might use up a lot
of cartridges at 75 bucks a pop.

This whole thread on this matter is the republicans against the democrats.
Neither side is completely wrong.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Edwin Pawlowski

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Second, if
you're so bloody nervous about running your fingers into the saw blade,

buy a
Brett Guard or one of the others on the market. Very effective, easy to

use, no
false positives, a great addition to any table saw, with proven technology

that
even adds a dust collector point to the top of your table saw blade, where

it's
really needed.

But what about hot dogs? We know the Saw Stop is effective if you drop your
lunch but will the Brett Guard protect my wiener from a tragic end if it
falls on the saw table during lunch?

Todd Fatheree

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

snip

We know the Saw Stop is effective if you drop your
lunch but will the Brett Guard protect my wiener from a tragic end if it
falls on the saw table during lunch?

I'm sorry. It's late and I can't come up with a response that will give
this setup justice. Anyone else?

todd

Howard wrote:

A device that stops a blade within 5 ms of contact with human flesh.
Videos of operation at http://www.sawstop.com/home.htm (this site may
be 'slashdotted', so check back in a day or so if you can't see it).

This device was introduced in 2001, and was supposed to be
commercially available by 2003. The device is supposed to add about
$150 to the cost of a consumer-grade table saw or bandsaw.

Gotta wonder, though... will this type of technology actually
*increase* injuries because of a reduction in respect for the tool?

---
Howard Lee Harkness
Insurance for H1-Bs: http://www.H1Bins.com
Healthcare for the uninsurable: http://www.AFFHC.com
Medigap insurance information: http://medigap.supremesite.net

saw this on a TV show about tools years ago... they used a hot
dog(weiner) to show how it worked... and it did stop... the hot dog only
had a nick on it... better than loosing a finger(just a nick)...

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 22:17:13 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

nobody is gonna argue that saving a finger from amputation is worth
more than a machine.

ISTR a football player who lost a part of a finger to play in a
Superbowl/Playoff game. He could have not played and had the part of the
finger reattached but instead chose the glory of the gridiron over
completeness of body parts. I don't recall the name but it wasn't Steve
DeBerg.

-- Mark

okay, I should have said... few will argue.....

bite me.
Leon

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .

But what about hot dogs? We know the Saw Stop is effective if you drop

your
lunch but will the Brett Guard protect my wiener from a tragic end if it
falls on the saw table during lunch?

If the Brett Guard is working properly, your wiener will not be detached and
there fore will not fall of the table saw. LOL

Bruce Barnett

"Edwin Pawlowski" writes:

But what about hot dogs?

I don't relish the thought of the puns that will follow. I expect the
crowd will mustard replacements and try to catchup in the run-on
puns. Will they have to go to the Mayo clinic for surgery.
(pre-emptive strike.)