Charlie Self

Default Anybody actually seen this new safety device?

Krow responds:

Ayup. And they say $150 up front cost (if installed on the assembly line)

and a
$75 cartridge replacement cost, but say nothing of the strain on the arbor

and
trunnions when the assembly instantly drops below the table and is jammed

to a
stop.

Charlie Self
"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended

from
man."
H. L. Mencken

Think about what you're saying here. IF it works, I'm wondering if I
ran my fingers into the blade and it snapped my arbor and trunnions -
destroyed my saw - but didn't leave me fingerless, would I feel I'd
rather have lost my fingers (or arm or...) than the saw? I don't know
of any piece of machinery anywhere that I'd trade for any body part.

Ah, well...why would you "run your fingers" into the blade.

First, that's not the only choice, and it is almost an incidental one as minor
table saw accidents far outnumber even single digit amputations. Second, if
you're so bloody nervous about running your fingers into the saw blade, buy a
Brett Guard or one of the others on the market. Very effective, easy to use, no
false positives, a great addition to any table saw, with proven technology that
even adds a dust collector point to the top of your table saw blade, where it's
really needed.

The trade is not necessarily a body part for a destroyed PM 66. It's more
likely to be a moderate cut for the same PM 66. Or a false reading when you're
10' away from the saw.

Your hands. Your money.