Bay Area Dave

Default Anybody actually seen this new safety device?

wrote:

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 20:16:32 GMT, Krow
wrote:

Charlie Self wrote:

Bruce Barnett asks:

SNIP

Ayup. And they say $150 up front cost (if installed on the assembly line) and a
$75 cartridge replacement cost, but say nothing of the strain on the arbor and
trunnions when the assembly instantly drops below the table and is jammed to a
stop.

Charlie Self
"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from
man."
H. L. Mencken

Think about what you're saying here. IF it works, I'm wondering if I
ran my fingers into the blade and it snapped my arbor and trunnions -
destroyed my saw - but didn't leave me fingerless, would I feel I'd
rather have lost my fingers (or arm or...) than the saw? I don't know
of any piece of machinery anywhere that I'd trade for any body part.

Keith

nobody is gonna argue that saving a finger from amputation is worth
more than a machine.

what is not acceptable is having a system foisted off on us in the
name of safety that randomly disables your table saw until you
replace a $75 part that is available from only one vendor, who has so
far a track record of being unable to deliver *anything* when they
promise to, who believes their path to economic success in the
marketplace is to hire lawyers to pass legislation that makes
*everyone* with a saw buy their product. **** that.

what will happen is that after a few false trips and a few hundred
dollars ****ed away most people will override the damn thing. then you
will have a bunch of machines in use with NO safety equipment.... sort
of like every table saw I've ever used. guess what? I still have all
of my fingers, and I've been using tablesaws professionally for over
20 years.

so IF you override the safety is there a big red warning
flag that pops ups to alert all users that it is now just a
"regular" TS??

dave