Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New shop, electrical question

In article , wrote:
On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 21:04:44 -0400, Doug Miller
wrote:

I guess it must have been someone else using your account, then, who
posted the claims that AC cable armor couldn't be used as an equipment
grounding conductor,

Ummm... could you, like, quote where I said "Ac cable couldn't be used for
ground according to the NEC." like because I don't seem to see any such post...
like what are you smoking, man??

OK, *shouldn't* be used, then. Happy?

You said that you "wouldn't count on" it.

or that the use of wire with blue insulation was a
Code violation.

So you say you can use blue wire for ground?

I never said that; quite the opposite, in fact.

You say you can use blue wire for neutral?

I never said that either; quite the opposite, in fact.

Oh I get it, you can use it for the hot... so a bundle of blue wires is fine?

Yes, you can, and yes, it is.

Wait a minute, a bundle of blue wires is probably a violation, there is a 66%
chance of it now isn't there?

If you would take the trouble to learn what the Code actually says, then you
could stop guessing. And you wouldn't have to make stuff up.

the NEC states AC cable can only be used in certain
locations, IE "not wet".

Stop changing the subject. I never claimed otherwise; at no point in
this thread has the subject of permissible locations for installing AC
cable come up (until now).

I'm not changing the subject, I pointed out that AC cable can only be used in
limited areas.

Which *is* changing the subject, obviously.

The OP in this thread was using it in a barn, and depending on
the barn, it may have been illegal.

If you would take the trouble to learn what the Code actually says, then you
could stop guessing. And you wouldn't have to make stuff up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You are correct and caught me. I am Doug Miller using another nickname
too.

------------------
"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
communications...
Unless you can _prove_ that assertation,
You are in violation of your own "advice".

-------------
In article , m II
wrote:
If you aren't another of the many nicknames Doug uses here then stop
trolling.

Posted to rec.woodworking

You do profess to have a lot of extra cash.

There must be reason for that, trollboi.

---------------
"-MIKE-" wrote in message ...

Ahhhh, if I had a nickel for every time someone called me a ****ing
nazi
cocksucker.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/11 9:44 PM, m II wrote:
You do profess to have a lot of extra cash.

There must be reason for that, trollboi.

When you're done scrubbing your mom's back, google the word, "sacrcasm."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/19/11 11:33 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/19/11 9:44 PM, m II wrote:
You do profess to have a lot of extra cash.

There must be reason for that, trollboi.

When you're done scrubbing your mom's back, google the word, "sacrcasm."

No really, I like it the way I spelled it. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Two backpedals in 15 minutes?

You need better and faster brain.One that works before you slam your
fists into the wall. Or play drums?

-------------
"-MIKE-" wrote in message ...

On 9/19/11 11:33 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
When you're done scrubbing your mom's back, google the word,
"sacrcasm."

No really, I like it the way I spelled it. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/20/11 8:04 AM, m II wrote:
Two backpedals in 15 minutes?

You need better and faster brain.One that works before you slam your
fists into the wall. Or play drums?

I'll take making the occasional typo over being the sociopathic,
blithering idiot that you are, any day.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/20/2011 12:11 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/20/11 8:04 AM, m II wrote:
Two backpedals in 15 minutes?

You need better and faster brain.One that works before you slam your
fists into the wall. Or play drums?

I'll take making the occasional typo over being the sociopathic,
blithering idiot that you are, any day.

Please don't feed the trolls.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yours or his or both?

--
"Doug Miller" wrote in message ...
Please don't feed the trolls.

--
On 9/20/2011 12:11 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
I'll take making the occasional typo over being the sociopathic,
blithering idiot that you are, any day.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:19:37 PM UTC-7, m II wrote:
...The Code doesn't specify *anything at all* about colors
in
residential wiring except: neutral = gray or white, ground = bare or
green or green with a yellow tracer, and those colors can't be used for
anything else.

Just to clarify: the common wiring to a wall switch has the same
black/white/bare wires as to a socket, but BOTH THE BLACK
AND WHITE ARE LIVE. The white wire, therefore, IS 'used'
for something else, and for that reason it must be marked
(usually with a wrap of colored tape) as 'nonneutral'.
When you add that extra tape to tag the wire, it effectively
becomes no longer a 'white' color wire.
Posted to rec.woodworking

First I didn't post any of that confusion. Learn to read attribution
lines and stop the bottom posting confusion with poorly designed
readers.

Second the switch wiring is common practice and there is nothing in the
Can code about using the white for hot. It does not need to be marked
with tape. Our code only states the neutral shall be marked.

----------

"whit3rd" wrote in message
Just to clarify: the common wiring to a wall switch has the same
black/white/bare wires as to a socket, but BOTH THE BLACK
AND WHITE ARE LIVE. The white wire, therefore, IS 'used'
for something else, and for that reason it must be marked
(usually with a wrap of colored tape) as 'nonneutral'.
When you add that extra tape to tag the wire, it effectively
becomes no longer a 'white' color wire.

On Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:19:37 PM UTC-7, m II wrote:
...The Code doesn't specify *anything at all* about colors
in
residential wiring except: neutral = gray or white, ground = bare or
green or green with a yellow tracer, and those colors can't be used
for
anything else.

Posted to rec.woodworking

m II wrote:

First I didn't post any of that confusion. Learn to read attribution
lines and stop the bottom posting confusion with poorly designed
readers.

Poorly designed readers are the ones that support top posting.

Second the switch wiring is common practice and there is nothing in
the Can code about using the white for hot. It does not need to be
marked with tape. Our code only states the neutral shall be marked.

Who cares about the Canadian wiring code. This conversation has been about
the NEC. I know - that's a complex concept for your mind...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/21/11 9:01 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
m II wrote:

First I didn't post any of that confusion. Learn to read attribution
lines and stop the bottom posting confusion with poorly designed
readers.

Poorly designed readers are the ones that support top posting.

Second the switch wiring is common practice and there is nothing in
the Can code about using the white for hot. It does not need to be
marked with tape. Our code only states the neutral shall be marked.

Who cares about the Canadian wiring code. This conversation has been about
the NEC. I know - that's a complex concept for your mind...

Sorta exactly, I care about the Canadian Code, living in Canada, I have
rewired much of my house, when the white becomes a hot, i.e off a switch
I mark it. Not just for me, but for a possible future owner of the
house. I would hate to work on a wiring job where it wasn't done that
way. Absolutely nothing wrong with going beyond code, especially if it
only takes a minute and ten cents worth of materials.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/20/2011 12:45 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

When you're done scrubbing your mom's back, google the word, "sacrcasm."

No really, I like it the way I spelled it. :-)

It dseno't mtaetr in what oerdr the ltteres in a word are, the olny
iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message ...
Sorta exactly, I care about the Canadian Code, living in Canada, I have
rewired much of my house, when the white becomes a hot, i.e off a switch
I mark it. Not just for me, but for a possible future owner of the
house. I would hate to work on a wiring job where it wasn't done that
way. Absolutely nothing wrong with going beyond code, especially if it
only takes a minute and ten cents worth of materials.

==============

I believe any electrician in N.America could recognize the white wire tied
into a bundle of blacks as a switch wire feed.

This was the recommended method and the only way not to see two whites on a
lamp socket, which your inspector will have a problem with.

The tape marking is redundant to most electrical people.

--

Eric

Posted to rec.woodworking

Do I attach the ground wire in the armor cable to the jbox? Once I go
out of one of the switches I will use romex overhead and I want to be
sure everything is grounded correctly. I guess the metal conduit and
boxes are ground enough to just run the two wire 110 but when I come
out to armor cable and romex I want to be sure I am grounded no?

BW
Hoping I don't burn the place down or lectracute mysef. The farmer
wouldn't be happy.

Didn't realize I would start such a thread. I hired an electrician. He
tied the 110 armor cable ground to the same ground used for the 220
circuit (duh). He put in a few new 4 gang boxes and two switched
outlets. I could have done the switched outlets but I would have run
wire back and forth a few times and he did it in a single 3 conductor
run, as it should be done. $150 well spent.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/23/11 4:27 PM, m II wrote:
Please don't feed the troll.

**** off troll.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Such language!

I can rest that case. Was almost too easy to demonstrate.

---------------
"FrozenNorth" wrote in message ...
**** off troll.

On 9/23/11 4:27 PM, m II wrote:
Please don't feed the troll.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

m II wrote:

Please don't feed the troll.

That is so funny coming from you...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 16:43:20 -0400, "m II" wrote:

Such language!

I can rest that case. Was almost too easy to demonstrate.

**** off troll.

Posted to rec.woodworking

**** off troll!

----------------
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

m II wrote:

Please don't feed the troll.

That is so funny coming from you...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

m II wrote:
**** off troll!

Let me see... from your previous reply to another poster... "Such language!