Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Electrical wiring question - shop related

Is it permissable to have an outlet that is rated for less curent than
the circuit breaker is?

I wired the detached garage for 40A 220v service (it seemed like a lot
of capacity 25 years ago!). In the garage is a subpanel with (4) 110V
and (1) 30A 220v circuits. Originally the 30A breaker fed one single
outlet (for the arc welder and compressor that I would someday own) -
eventually I got tired of unplugging the welder to plug in the
compressor or phase converter and now have (3) 220v outlets side by
side in one box. Over the years I made up an extension cord to be able
to weld on the opposite side of the garage and to power the bandsaw.
I am considering adding an outlet at the bandsaw. The bandsaw has a
15A 220v plug on it. So back to my original question is there an
issue with having a 15A outlet on a 30A circuit (the circuit is wired
in #8 romex)?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 08:11:22 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

fired this volley in news:3591bfb5-06bc-4d92-9cf7-
:

So back to my original question is there an
issue with having a 15A outlet on a 30A circuit (the circuit is wired
in #8 romex)?

Yeah, there is. You could draw enough current to char or even destroy
the outlet.

What you need is a small local service box with a breaker just for that
outlet. They sell them at the home stores variously named like "job site
panel". They come with a breaker (or a place to put one), and often one
220V outlet and one 115V duplex outlet.

C'mon, LLoyd. Wouldn't it be both legal and saner (not to mention far
CHEAPER) to simply replace the -breaker- with a smaller one?

P.S: That #8's gotta be a striped beeyatch to work with.

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 7, 10:19*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 08:11:22 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"

lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
fired this volley in news:3591bfb5-06bc-4d92-9cf7-
:

So back to my original question is there an
issue with having a 15A outlet on a 30A circuit (the circuit is wired
in #8 romex)?

Yeah, there is. *You could draw enough current to char or even destroy
the outlet.

What you need is a small local service box with a breaker just for that
outlet. *They sell them at the home stores variously named like "job site
panel". *They come with a breaker (or a place to put one), and often one
220V outlet and one 115V duplex outlet.

C'mon, LLoyd. Wouldn't it be both legal and saner (not to mention far
CHEAPER) to simply replace the -breaker- with a smaller one?

Yes, but then how's he going to pull 30A on the line when the welder
and compressor run simultaneously?

P.S: That #8's gotta be a striped beeyatch to work with.

I ran some 6-3 from my basement to my attic for a future subpanel. Not
only is the stuff unruly, it's also just plain heavy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques fired this volley in
:

C'mon, LLoyd. Wouldn't it be both legal and saner (not to mention far
CHEAPER) to simply replace the -breaker- with a smaller one?

He has other, higher-current needs for that circuit, from the way I read
it.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My garage subpanel is maxed out and I do not want to derate the 30A
breaker for when I use the welder (technically the welder is rated to
draw 50A but I have only tripped the 30A breaker once in the last
decade). I have a 40A breaker at the main service panel in the
house. It is set up this way so that I do not trip the breaker in the
house - I do not live there anymore and I don't want to rely on my
tenant being home to reset a tripped breaker (on demand). If I could
start all over I would have a 60A breaker in the house and 50A breaker
in the garage with a larger subpanel.

LLoyd: The "local service panel" would be mounted at the 20A
location or adjacent to the existing subpanel? So there would be a
local subpanel off of the existing subpanel in the garage? By
extension, would I be correct in presuming that putting a higher amp
rated plug on the bandsaw would not be proper either? Not that its
correct, but today my bandsaw is powered by an 8 ga extension cord
that has a 50A male plug and a 15A female recepticle on the other end
that the bandsaw power cord plugs into.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Is it permissable to have an outlet that is rated for less curent than
the circuit breaker is?

No. Its also potentially dangerous if you have a problem.

I wired the detached garage for 40A 220v service (it seemed like a lot
of capacity 25 years ago!). In the garage is a subpanel with (4) 110V
and (1) 30A 220v circuits. Originally the 30A breaker fed one single
outlet (for the arc welder and compressor that I would someday own) -

I have a 50 for my welder and 30s for my table saw and future compressor.
Each is a different type of plug and outlet. 40amps isn't much. Its time
to start thinking about upgrading your service to that area.

eventually I got tired of unplugging the welder to plug in the
compressor or phase converter and now have (3) 220v outlets side by
side in one box. Over the years I made up an extension cord to be able
to weld on the opposite side of the garage and to power the bandsaw.

I hope its some really heavy duty cord. Heavier than the heaviest 110 cord
you might find in a good hardware store.

I am considering adding an outlet at the bandsaw. The bandsaw has a
15A 220v plug on it. So back to my original question is there an
issue with having a 15A outlet on a 30A circuit (the circuit is wired
in #8 romex)?

Yes, there is an issue. You could theoretically have a problem and draw
enough power to start a fire without tripping the breaker.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 7, 1:11*pm, wrote:
*Does not meet code, but you COULD put a fuse or breaker in the outlet
box to protect the outlet to 15 amps.- Hide quoted text -

Most 3 phase equipment shop that I have seen had a fused disconnect on
the machine. If I were to do similar on my band saw: a fused (15
amp) disconnect for the 220V 1 phase, attached to the machine. Coming
out of the disconnect box a power lead going to the 30A outlet. I am
considering having the outlet in the ceiling or in a vertical step in
the ceiling. The band saw is positioned between 2 car bays in the
garage (not near a wall) and the ceiling steps up from 8 ft to 9.5 ft
over the band saw. I figure that a powercord opposite of the throat
of the machine would be protected by the machine.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:

wrote:
On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 05:33:03 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

[...]

Would this meet code:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=... tbs%3Disch:1

That is a single pole device made for 120 VAC. It would leave one
side of the line unfused at 30A, so a short to ground could start a fire
without tripping the breaker.

--
For the last time: I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 10:55:04 -0800, Jim Stewart
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images.orgill.com/200x200/6196232.jpg&imgrefurl=http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/14-45-box-covers.aspx%3Fpage%3D2%26sortBy%3D&usg=__Yfe2-HP7-KWbXQS2p59KoT3wvus=&h=200&w=200&sz=5&hl=en&start=5 8&zoom=0&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=3toQ_8LCe8N2JM:&tbnh=10 4&tbnw=104&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfused%2Breceptacle%26start%3D42%26um% 3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26ndsp%3D21%26 tbs%3Disch:1

Sorry, better link...

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...er-620715.aspx

yes

NO!

--
For the last time: I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Jim Stewart wrote:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...00x200/6196232
.jpg&imgrefurl=http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/14-45-box-covers.aspx%3Fp
age%3D2%26sortBy%3D&usg=__Yfe2-HP7-KWbXQS2p59KoT3wvus=&h=200&w=200&sz=5&hl=e
n&start=58&zoom=0&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=3toQ_8LCe8N2JM :&tbnh=104&tbnw=104&prev=/
images%3Fq%3Dfused%2Breceptacle%26start%3D42%26um% 3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff
%26sa%3DN%26ndsp%3D21%26tbs%3Disch:1

Sorry, better link...

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...fuse-box-cover
-620715.aspx

Rather than listen to internet debates, look it up in the US "National
Electrical Code". One can buy used copies cheaply, as a new issue comes
out every five years or so.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Electrical_Code

What I do know is OK (by reading the NEC) is a subpanel feeding
individual breakers (or fuses) which feed for instance individual
machines. The machines may be direct wired or wired through a dedicated
outlet.

The wire sizes must always be sufficient to carry whatever the last
breaker will pop at.

In all circuits, all hot wires must be opened if any wire draws too much
current. The neutral (white) and safety ground (green) wires are never
opened or switched.

So, a 110 volt single phase branch breaker opens only the one hot wire.

A 220 volt single phase branch circuit breaker must open both hot wires,
even if there is no neutral. There must always be a safety ground.

A 220 volt three phase circuit breaker must open all three hot wires,
even if there is no neutral. There must always be a safety ground.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 09:04:37 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I had my welding receptacles wired with a neutral. My extension cord
is 4 wire as well (twistlock rated for 120/240). I intend to put a
box on the cart with outlet for welder and outlet for grinder. If I
put a 120V breaker in the box to match the 120 outlet, that should
work, right? The normal return would be the neutral. A short to
ground would still trip the 120V breaker.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Of course you are correct. When I posted the picture
I had somehow misunderstood that he wanted to break
off one side of the 220 for a 110 outlet.

For 220 both sides must be protected. This device would
be better than nothing in that it would limit the hot-
to-hot current to 15 amperes, but it would not meet code.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yes, it's legal for 120 Volt but a lot of people try that for 240
with a single fuse or a single pole breaker. Fires and electrocutions
aren't worth the few cents they save.

--
For the last time: I am not a mad scientist, I'm just a very ticked off
scientist!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

So install 2 of them - one for each 120 volt circuit.
And a SHORT will pop a 30 in in hurry.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 08 Dec 2010 10:39:58 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Stewart wrote:

wrote:

[...]

My bad - I read 15 amp 120 volt plug.

If the band saw is 220, he DOES need a double pole breaker or dual
fuse disconnect.

Might not be 100% to code, but would be SAFE to take a standard 220
fused disconnect and put a cord with a plug to fit the 40 amp cord on
one side, and a 15 amp or 20 amp 220 receptacle on the other side.