Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sawing with one eye

I am right handed. However, since birth,
I suffer from amblyopia - lazy eye - in my right eye.

This means I can not sight down a saw when cutting dovetails
or other hand saw procedures. The alternative is to switch
hands, which I have tried with minimal results. My left
hand is not as strong - nerve damage - as my right.

I chose to use power tools to do any kind of cutting
that I would love to use hand tools - dovetails come
to mind.

Curious if anyone has dealt with this and what they
have done.

If you want to see what this is like, close your dominant
hand eye and then try to saw a straight line. It's damn
hard.

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 09:40:33 -0700 (PDT), MJ
wrote:
Curious if anyone has dealt with this and what they
have done.

Not the same thing, but I have an astigmatism which is correct by
glasses. Any chance some similar type of adjustment might be used by
you.

If not, suggest you contact your ophthalmologist. Chances are he/she
will know of something that could help you out. (if one exists)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave,

I have had this condition since birth - 64 years ago.
Every now and then, I ask my ophthalmologist (if I get one - HMO)
if there is any cure.

There is none at my age. If they caught it at birth, there
could be some correction, I am way past that now.

It doesn't affect me in anyway, I tell my friends that I
see in 2D since I don't have true stereoscopic vision -
a reason I don't go to 3D movies). The only downside
is not being able to saw a straight line with my dominant
hand. Power tools and a guide is what I use most of the time,
tablesaw the other times.

When I was small (under 8), I went through a period
where I would cover up my left eye with a patch and
try to read with my right. I have no idea if it worked
or not, as I can see fine with the eye and I can read
SOME words (I usually make out some letters and guess),
but the words have to be damn big.

Bottom line - I protect my good eye as if it were gold.
I put on safety glasses even I am making "a small cut"
with a saw or nailing something, anything where something
can strike out and hit the only good eye I have.

Thanks for the response, though.

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article

, MJ wrote:

I am right handed. However, since birth,
I suffer from amblyopia - lazy eye - in my right eye.

This means I can not sight down a saw when cutting dovetails
or other hand saw procedures. The alternative is to switch
hands, which I have tried with minimal results. My left
hand is not as strong - nerve damage - as my right.

I chose to use power tools to do any kind of cutting
that I would love to use hand tools - dovetails come
to mind.

Curious if anyone has dealt with this and what they
have done.

If you want to see what this is like, close your dominant
hand eye and then try to saw a straight line. It's damn
hard.

One word:

Jigs

Have a look at
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=41718&cat=1,42884,41718
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dave,

Well that covers one problem - dovetails, but
there are other sawing situations that this won't work.

I have seen these before and hesitant to buy them.
I bought another type, years ago and it doesn't
quite work. I think the magnets on the Lee Valley
one probably make this one better.

I'll put this on my "Christmas" list and see if
get something this year.

MJ

Posted to rec.woodworking

"MJ" wrote:

Dave,

Well that covers one problem - dovetails, but
there are other sawing situations that this won't work.

------------------------------------
http://www.bridgecitytools.com

Go there and drool when you check out JointMaker.

Leave your wallet at homegrin

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 17:29:09 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
http://www.bridgecitytools.com
Go there and drool when you check out JointMaker.
Leave your wallet at homegrin

I have a JMP and it's a pretty nice tool, but it has one major
downside with a limitation of approximately 6" of cut. For that
reason, my JMP is currently on consignment pending sale.

Admittedly, that 6" length limit *was* neither obscured nor hidden
during the video ads for the JointMaker. But, it's very easy to
disregard that limitation when watching all the exacting and
decorative cuts the machine can do.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave" wrote:

I have a JMP and it's a pretty nice tool, but it has one major
downside with a limitation of approximately 6" of cut. For that
reason, my JMP is currently on consignment pending sale.

----------------------------------
Let's see now, a 6" cut can produce a 6" joint.

Sounds like there might be a market for a 6" hand made joint.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 19:50:07 -0700, "Lew Hodgett" I have a JMP and
it's a pretty nice tool, but it has one major
downside with a limitation of approximately 6" of cut. For that
reason, my JMP is currently on consignment pending sale.

----------------------------------
Let's see now, a 6" cut can produce a 6" joint.
Sounds like there might be a market for a 6" hand made joint.

Yup, just as about as perfect a woodworking joint that one might ever
want. Certainly, it's a very exacting machine and fast once one gets
used to its intricacies.

It really is a very fine tool. Only consideration (aside from cost) is
that someone thinking of buying one should consider it carefully and
not be immediately swayed by the video ads. (as I was)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2011-08-25, Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article

, MJ wrote:

[...]

I have somewhat similar problem and I like this:
http://www.fine-tools.com/G-sawguide.html

seismo malm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 26 Aug 2011 05:45:56 GMT, "Seismo R. Malm"

On 2011-08-25, Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article

, MJ wrote:

[...]

Ouch! It sure hurts to see Canuckistani Ducats so high compared to
the U.S. sheckel.

I have somewhat similar problem and I like this:
http://www.fine-tools.com/G-sawguide.html

Cool idea, and it looks well done. Hmm...

--
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
-- Jimi Hendrix
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 26, 1:45*am, "Seismo R. Malm" wrote:

I have somewhat similar problem and I like this:http://www.fine-tools.com/G-sawguide.html

Yep. That's a good one, alright. I picked it up some years ago on
eBay on a whim, and it sat around for a while...seasoning. When I
did get around to using it I was pleasantly surprised by the quality
and accuracy. I've recommended it to friends and was going to buy one
for a buddy's birthday, but found it hard to find and odd that it was
unknown to places that normally carry Vaughan & Bushnell, the
"manufacturer". They don't even list it on their web site. It seems
to be a rebranded Japanese tool judging from the quality and saw
configuration.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 25, 12:40*pm, MJ wrote:
I am right handed. However, since birth,
I suffer from amblyopia - lazy eye - in my right eye.

This means I can not sight down a saw when cutting dovetails
or other hand saw procedures. The alternative is to switch
hands, which I have tried with minimal results. My left
hand is not as strong - nerve damage - as my right.

I chose to use power tools to do any kind of cutting
that I would love to use hand tools - dovetails come
to mind.

Curious if anyone has dealt with this and what they
have done.

If you want to see what this is like, close your dominant
hand eye and then try to saw a straight line. It's damn
hard.

It sounds like the main problem is getting eye-hand
coordination...with the "wrong" eye. The body wants to do something
different. Shiny saw blade and chisel reflections have been helping
woodworkers visually align cuts for ages. How about using a
supplemental mirror or buffing up those tools? This explanation from
a wooden boat forum:

"Another thing with the pull saws - they are usually finished almost
mirror bright. With practice, one can look at the reflection in the
saw and use it to advantage for accurate cutting. For 90 deg. cuts
when the saw is plumb and square the arris of the wood will appear
straight and true in the reflection. For 45 deg. cuts the reflection
will appear as 90 degs. Your point of view should be at an angle with
the arris, not directly over it. Experiment with it. It's an
interesting technique, and with a good eye can be used for freehand
cutting without any layout"

A supplemental mirror would allow you to "relocate" the "wrong" eye to
the right side.

Posted to rec.woodworking

MJ wrote:
I am right handed. However, since birth,
I suffer from amblyopia - lazy eye - in my right eye.

This means I can not sight down a saw when cutting dovetails
or other hand saw procedures. The alternative is to switch
hands, which I have tried with minimal results. My left
hand is not as strong - nerve damage - as my right.

I chose to use power tools to do any kind of cutting
that I would love to use hand tools - dovetails come
to mind.

Curious if anyone has dealt with this and what they
have done.

If you want to see what this is like, close your dominant
hand eye and then try to saw a straight line. It's damn
hard.

Pirate patch over left eye. Fifty cents.

Parrot optional.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I wish you read the entire post. I have
tried working with my left. My hand has
had nerve damage so it's not as strong. Results
have not been encouraging.

MJ

Posted to rec.woodworking

MJ wrote:
I wish you read the entire post. I have
tried working with my left. My hand has
had nerve damage so it's not as strong. Results
have not been encouraging.

I did read the entire post. My reply mentioned nothing about which hand to
use, concentrating, as it did, on how to train your non-dominant eye.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 25, 8:29*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"MJ" wrote:
Dave,

Well that covers one problem - dovetails, but
there are other sawing situations that this won't work.

------------------------------------http://www.bridgecitytools.com

Go there and drool when you check out JointMaker.

Leave your wallet at homegrin

Lew

Stripped down, it would be lovely for cutting guitar fret slots.
No need to tilt the blade or change the depth from 3/32". Could
probably make such a tool for under $20, not counting the saw,
and would, if my current homemade and overbuilt miterbox jig
didn't work as well as it does.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 25, 7:47*pm, MJ wrote:
Dave,

Well that covers one problem - dovetails, but
there are other sawing situations that this won't work.

I have seen these before and hesitant to buy them.
I bought another type, years ago and it doesn't
quite work. I think the magnets on the Lee Valley
one probably make this one better.

I'll put this on my "Christmas" list and see if
get something this year.

MJ

Harbor freight supermagnets -- $2.00 for a pack of
ten. Got any bits of scrap hardwood lying about,
waiting to be made into a saw jig?

Sawing off a shotgun Mike Barnes UK diy 15 January 31st 08 09:59 PM
Sawing Burls M&S Woodworking 2 September 19th 05 11:21 PM
sawing a lot of AL Karl Townsend Metalworking 6 July 7th 05 01:32 AM
SCROLL SAWING Stephen Blakley Woodworking 3 May 7th 05 10:47 PM
Re-sawing: Reynaud Woodworking 6 January 4th 05 09:45 PM