M&S

Default Sawing Burls

Hello all,
I am wondering if anyone can give me some input on sawing open some
burls we have (still standing). We own a bandmill and while looking at
some timber we are planning to cut I found a few good sized maple and
walnut burls. One is pretty large at about 18" in diameter at its
fattest point.
Does one normally saw them open just as you would saw boards from a saw
log i.e. along the longitudinal axis of the log or are they cut along
the radial axis as if you were cutting the log up for firewood? I could
easily make a quick clamp setup for the band mill to stand the burl and
saw off rounds on the radial axis if I had to. The larger ones are too
big for our shop band saw.
Any input is appreciated.

Mark

Icepick

Yes you normally saw on the same longitudinal axis as the main tree.
Burl wood is usually quite stable and air dries well , depending on end
use I wouldn't cut it thinner than 2" and let air dry slowly in a cool
airy place for a couple of years.

Large burls can be sliced with a Alaskan mill and chainsaw.

M&S wrote:

Hello all,
I am wondering if anyone can give me some input on sawing open
some burls we have (still standing). We own a bandmill and while
looking at some timber we are planning to cut I found a few good sized
maple and walnut burls. One is pretty large at about 18" in diameter
at its fattest point.
Does one normally saw them open just as you would saw boards from
a saw log i.e. along the longitudinal axis of the log or are they cut
along the radial axis as if you were cutting the log up for firewood?
I could easily make a quick clamp setup for the band mill to stand the
burl and saw off rounds on the radial axis if I had to. The larger
ones are too big for our shop band saw.
Any input is appreciated.

Mark

Patriarch

M&S wrote in
. net:

Hello all,
I am wondering if anyone can give me some input on sawing open
some
burls we have (still standing).

Burls are highly sought by the turning crowd. You may want to ask at
rec.crafts.woodturning...

Patriarch