Stephen

Default what to use for sawing 10mm veneers(for knife handles)??

Hi there
I am a hobbiest knifemaker who wants to start cutting up his own handle
slabs from blocks of timber, some in the round from branches.. What Im
trying to do is cut 3/8 of an inch boards (10 mm maybe) for the handles. I
have a bandsaw but Im pretty sure its not set up that good. My attempts at
cutting slabs arnt that good and Im getting better results doing it by hand
with a saw.
Its a 14 inch 4 speed "toolmac" bandsaw
how much tension should I set it too??
Would a wider blade be better for what I'm trying to do?? In it at the
moment is a 1/3rd of an inch wide blade.
Are there any good websites on setting up bandsaws?? Any recommended books??
Would I be better getting somthing else like a tablesaw? Or maybe a
circular saw with a guide. One of my friends has bought a compound mitre saw
that seems to work good but they are a bit too expensive for me
Sorry for not using the correct terminology I dont have much of a background
in woodworking.
Stephen Nixon
http://members.iinet.net.au/~snixon/
maybe I should join the local woodworkers club maybe

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 12:36:25 +1000, "Stephen"
wrote:

I am a hobbiest knifemaker who wants to start cutting up his own handle
slabs from blocks of timber, some in the round from branches.. What Im
trying to do is cut 3/8 of an inch boards (10 mm maybe) for the handles.

10mm isn't a veneer, it's a log ! Should be pretty easy to do.

If you're working with round logs, then make sure you use a logging
sled. One of the few ways to hurt yourself on a bandsaw is to try and
saw something that isn't flat underneath. Here's a simple design for
one:
http://www.ship-modelers-assn.org/tps0105.htm

I have a bandsaw but Im pretty sure its not set up that good.

Adjust it right, use the right blades.

A copy of Duginske's "Bandsaw Handbook" would be a good start
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0806963980/codesmiths-20

maybe I should join the local woodworkers club maybe

If there is such a thing, then why not ? You might even get access
to a nice big bandsaw that's already set up.

Stephen

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hi there
I am a hobbiest knifemaker who wants to start cutting up his own handle
slabs from blocks of timber, some in the round from branches.. What Im
trying to do is cut 3/8 of an inch boards (10 mm maybe) for the handles. I
have a bandsaw but Im pretty sure its not set up that good. My attempts at
cutting slabs arnt that good and Im getting better results doing it by

hand
with a saw.
Its a 14 inch 4 speed "toolmac" bandsaw

found this webpage
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/i-bndsaw.htm
a handy site that showed me what I was doing wrong
it turns out that thrust bearings dont normally go alongside the blade but
behind it
8-)
whoopsy
havnt had time to fully try it yet but hopefully it should turn out better
I am going to trey making that sled thing too so that should be safer
Stephen Nixon
knifemaker not woodworker
http://members.iinet.net.au/~snixon/