Posted to rec.woodworking
Seismo R. Malm Seismo R. Malm is offline

Default Sawing with one eye

On 2011-08-25, Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article

, MJ wrote:

I am right handed. However, since birth,
I suffer from amblyopia - lazy eye - in my right eye.

This means I can not sight down a saw when cutting dovetails
or other hand saw procedures. The alternative is to switch
hands, which I have tried with minimal results. My left
hand is not as strong - nerve damage - as my right.

I chose to use power tools to do any kind of cutting
that I would love to use hand tools - dovetails come
to mind.

Curious if anyone has dealt with this and what they
have done.

If you want to see what this is like, close your dominant
hand eye and then try to saw a straight line. It's damn
hard.

One word:

Jigs

Have a look at
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=41718&cat=1,42884,41718

I have somewhat similar problem and I like this:
http://www.fine-tools.com/G-sawguide.html

seismo malm