Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sawing off a shotgun

On planet Hollywood, the bad guy puts his shotgun on the kitchen table,
picks up a hacksaw, and casually saws a few feet off the barrel.

Wouldn't the metal be too hard for that?

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Barnes
writes
On planet Hollywood, the bad guy puts his shotgun on the kitchen table,
picks up a hacksaw, and casually saws a few feet off the barrel.

Wouldn't the metal be too hard for that?

No.

I'm more exercised by the guy elsewhere who drills holes in the end of a
rifle barrel to form a silencer and then performs feats of accuracy
irrespective of the effect burrs might have on ballistics.

I hope this is not a trawl by our law enforcement agency: identifying
anyone with experience of such matters:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Mike Barnes
writes
On planet Hollywood, the bad guy puts his shotgun on the kitchen table,
picks up a hacksaw, and casually saws a few feet off the barrel.

Wouldn't the metal be too hard for that?

No.

I'm more exercised by the guy elsewhere who drills holes in the end of a
rifle barrel to form a silencer and then performs feats of accuracy
irrespective of the effect burrs might have on ballistics.

I hope this is not a trawl by our law enforcement agency: identifying
anyone with experience of such matters:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Perhaps you have only had bad experiences with a hacksaw. A good blade -
with the teeth pointing in the right direction (away from handle) and the
right amount of pressure on the cutting stroke is a formidable tool.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

Perhaps you have only had bad experiences with a hacksaw. A good blade -
with the teeth pointing in the right direction (away from handle) and the
right amount of pressure on the cutting stroke is a formidable tool.

Of course this would not be uk.d-i-y is someone did not mention an angle
grinder... That could make Purdey blush ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:
On planet Hollywood, the bad guy puts his shotgun on the kitchen table,
picks up a hacksaw, and casually saws a few feet off the barrel.

Wouldn't the metal be too hard for that?

Not at all.

Hardness implies brittleness. The "opposite" of hardness is ductility
(or malleability, if you like). If you have a misfire, you want your gun
barrel to split, not shatter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Perhaps you have only had bad experiences with a hacksaw. A good blade -
with the teeth pointing in the right direction (away from handle) and the
right amount of pressure on the cutting stroke is a formidable tool.

A subject worthy of discussion on it's own.

Eclipse is still the best IME.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/20701/...des-24Tpi-10Pk

Perhaps they could market them "As used by the Securitas armed robbers
- we bet they wish they had one hidden in a cake now".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 30, 8:45*am, Mike Barnes wrote:
On planet Hollywood, the bad guy puts his shotgun on the kitchen table,
picks up a hacksaw, and casually saws a few feet off the barrel.

Wouldn't the metal be too hard for that?

--
Mike Barnes

Have a read of this.
http://yarchive.net/gun/ammo/forensic.html
Fascinating

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
John wrote:

Perhaps you have only had bad experiences with a hacksaw. A good blade
- with the teeth pointing in the right direction (away from handle)
and the right amount of pressure on the cutting stroke is a formidable
tool.

Of course this would not be uk.d-i-y is someone did not mention an angle
grinder... That could make Purdey blush ;-)

LOL, is that James Purdey the Gunmaker, or Joanna Yummie off the New
Avengers?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Skipweasel wrote:
In article , lid
says...
Hardness implies brittleness. The "opposite" of hardness is ductility
(or malleability, if you like). If you have a misfire, you want your gun
barrel to split, not shatter.

http://www.jbarprod.com/images/Gunburst-rt.jpg

Wow. Yours?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 30, 3:57 pm, Dave Osborne wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
John wrote:

Perhaps you have only had bad experiences with a hacksaw. A good blade
- with the teeth pointing in the right direction (away from handle)
and the right amount of pressure on the cutting stroke is a formidable
tool.

Of course this would not be uk.d-i-y is someone did not mention an angle
grinder... That could make Purdey blush ;-)

LOL, is that James Purdey the Gunmaker, or Joanna Yummie off the New
Avengers?

Rember hearing a Police chief grumbling about small brain tea leafs
who had raided a country house and stolen a pair of Purdey shotguns
worth 30 grand, sawn off the barrels and used them to rob a post
office for 1500 quid.

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
On Jan 30, 8:45 am, Mike Barnes wrote:
On planet Hollywood, the bad guy puts his shotgun on the kitchen
table, picks up a hacksaw, and casually saws a few feet off the
barrel.

Wouldn't the metal be too hard for that?

--
Mike Barnes

Have a read of this.
http://yarchive.net/gun/ammo/forensic.html
Fascinating

Absolutely.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Jan, 09:23, Tim Lamb wrote:

I'm more exercised by the guy elsewhere who drills holes in the end of a
rifle barrel to form a silencer and then performs feats of accuracy
irrespective of the effect burrs might have on ballistics.

The silenced Mk 5 Sterling SMG had a drilled barrel, but it was to
dissipate some of the propelling gases so as to make the standard 9mm
bullet velocity sub-sonic so there was no 'crack'. There was a
separate silencer fixed on the end of the weapon. The holes were
drilled so they were in the grooves of the rifling.

The more usual approach was to use sub-sonic ammunition.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
In message , Mike Barnes
writes
On planet Hollywood, the bad guy puts his shotgun on the kitchen table,
picks up a hacksaw, and casually saws a few feet off the barrel.

Wouldn't the metal be too hard for that?

No.

I'm more exercised by the guy elsewhere who drills holes in the end of a
rifle barrel to form a silencer and then performs feats of accuracy
irrespective of the effect burrs might have on ballistics.

I hope this is not a trawl by our law enforcement agency: identifying
anyone with experience of such matters:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Perhaps you have only had bad experiences with a hacksaw.

Paging Drivel, paging Drivel ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y