Posted to rec.woodworking
MJ[_5_] MJ[_5_] is offline

Default Sawing with one eye

Dave,

I have had this condition since birth - 64 years ago.
Every now and then, I ask my ophthalmologist (if I get one - HMO)
if there is any cure.

There is none at my age. If they caught it at birth, there
could be some correction, I am way past that now.

It doesn't affect me in anyway, I tell my friends that I
see in 2D since I don't have true stereoscopic vision -
a reason I don't go to 3D movies). The only downside
is not being able to saw a straight line with my dominant
hand. Power tools and a guide is what I use most of the time,
tablesaw the other times.

When I was small (under 8), I went through a period
where I would cover up my left eye with a patch and
try to read with my right. I have no idea if it worked
or not, as I can see fine with the eye and I can read
SOME words (I usually make out some letters and guess),
but the words have to be damn big.

Bottom line - I protect my good eye as if it were gold.
I put on safety glasses even I am making "a small cut"
with a saw or nailing something, anything where something
can strike out and hit the only good eye I have.

Thanks for the response, though.

MJ