Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shim in sizes

I've done a search and unable to find anyone
who sells washer as shims in a variety of thicknesses
for a variety of bolts. I have tried to create my own
to a degree, but it would be nice to find a variety
pack that I could buy - cheaply - like under $30.

Shopsmith sells a pack in colors that corresponds
to the thickness, but if I remember right, it was
with something else included and it wasn't cheap.

I thought I was a great searcher, but on this particular
quest, I got stumped.

Anyone got an idea where I could find them?

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking

Again, not in kits, I don't think, but MSC (mscdirect.com) has plenty of
sizes.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/1/2011 11:33 PM, Pete S wrote:

Again, not in kits, I don't think, but MSC (mscdirect.com) has plenty of
sizes.

Another good place to know about (altho may not help for this particular
item)

Reid Supply

http://www.reidsupply.com/Catalog.aspx

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 02 Aug 2011 12:39:23 GMT, Han wrote:

Do you mean these?
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,43456&p=66917

Only problem is that he's looking for washer shims for bolts.
Depending on how tight those bolts need to be, those Lee Valley
plastic shims will get crushed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

What's the application in mind???

There are all kinds of shaft bearing shim washers but they're tended to
be sized by bearings so again the app is probably key to the right kind
of thing.

Just to periodically have something to shim my various tools: bandsaw,
tablesaw,
etc. Right now, I am trying to level out my band saw. I've made some
shims out
of shim stock, but it's a bother. Just was looking to buy a variety
pack
somewhere.

I thought I tried McMaster's, et al., and struck out, but will do
again.

The place you pointed to me, has them, but I didn't see a package
deal anywhere. I'll look again.

Thanks,

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Dave wrote in
:

On 02 Aug 2011 12:39:23 GMT, Han wrote:

Do you mean these?
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,43456&p=66917

Only problem is that he's looking for washer shims for bolts.
Depending on how tight those bolts need to be, those Lee Valley
plastic shims will get crushed.

You're right.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 17:50:22 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I've done a search and unable to find anyone
who sells washer as shims in a variety of thicknesses
for a variety of bolts. I have tried to create my own
to a degree, but it would be nice to find a variety
pack that I could buy - cheaply - like under $30.

Shopsmith sells a pack in colors that corresponds
to the thickness, but if I remember right, it was
with something else included and it wasn't cheap.

I thought I was a great searcher, but on this particular
quest, I got stumped.

Anyone got an idea where I could find them?

MJ

Small parts has a couple of assortments of arbor shims, might do what
you need.

www.smallparts.com

They have lots of handy stuff. Prices tend to be high, but if you need
it and they have it....

Paul Franklin

Shim Stock Bob La Londe[_5_] Metalworking 15 April 11th 11 10:53 PM
Shim Stock whit3rd Metalworking 1 April 9th 11 07:42 AM
How far can you shim a dado? [email protected] Woodworking 8 March 4th 09 07:48 PM
Shim washers [email protected] Woodworking 17 July 4th 08 09:06 AM
Shim session 1 Bill Schwab Metalworking 17 February 7th 06 07:32 PM