Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shim washers

I've done a Google search for packets of shim washers and found
that I can buy, in quantity, various shim washers. What I'm looking
for is a variety pack of small washers of varying thickness. Mostly
to shim up my tools (bandsaw, jointer, etc.). I have shim stock,
so at the worst, I can punch out (suggestions on a tool?) my own
washers,
but does anyone know where I can buy them.

Small variety pack - is somewhere around 20 - 30.
Shopsmith sells them along with set screws, but I don't
need the screws.

Tried Enco - nothing, Grainger's got them, but not right size.
Need something from I.D. 1/8 to 3/8.

Ideas?

Thanks,

MJ

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I have shim stock,
so at the worst, I can punch out (suggestions on a tool?) my own
washers,
but does anyone know where I can buy them.

Greenlee makes metal punches.

Sold to the electronics industries as "radio chassis punches", and the
electrical industry as "conduit knock out punches".

Since these punches are designed to provide a given hole dia, the
internal slug (washer) doesn't not come out flat, but can be
straightened if the material is not too thick.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote in message
I've done a Google search for packets of shim washers and found
that I can buy, in quantity, various shim washers. What I'm looking
for is a variety pack of small washers of varying thickness. Mostly
to shim up my tools (bandsaw, jointer, etc.). I have shim stock,
so at the worst, I can punch out (suggestions on a tool?) my own
washers,
but does anyone know where I can buy them.

Small variety pack - is somewhere around 20 - 30.
Shopsmith sells them along with set screws, but I don't
need the screws.

Tried Enco - nothing, Grainger's got them, but not right size.
Need something from I.D. 1/8 to 3/8.

Ideas?

Thanks,

MJ

Have you tried a bearing supplier. They might have shims for certain
applications.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 18:53:31 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I've done a Google search for packets of shim washers and found
that I can buy, in quantity, various shim washers. What I'm looking
for is a variety pack of small washers of varying thickness. Mostly
to shim up my tools (bandsaw, jointer, etc.). I have shim stock,
so at the worst, I can punch out (suggestions on a tool?) my own
washers,
but does anyone know where I can buy them.

Small variety pack - is somewhere around 20 - 30.
Shopsmith sells them along with set screws, but I don't
need the screws.

Tried Enco - nothing, Grainger's got them, but not right size.
Need something from I.D. 1/8 to 3/8.

Ideas?

Thanks,

MJ

Lee Valley (www.leevalley.com) sells shim stock.

Regards,
Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

Google Bokers. That is their speciality.

CP

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed,

Lee Valley (www.leevalley.com) sells shim stock.

I have the stock, but I need washers. I think I found something
that at least will punch out a round washer:

It's a round punch and die set. I read a blog where a person was
using a similar tool to do the very thing I wanted to do.

MJ

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I've done a Google search for packets of shim washers and found
that I can buy, in quantity, various shim washers. What I'm looking
for is a variety pack of small washers of varying thickness. Mostly
to shim up my tools (bandsaw, jointer, etc.). I have shim stock,
so at the worst, I can punch out (suggestions on a tool?) my own
washers,
but does anyone know where I can buy them.

Small variety pack - is somewhere around 20 - 30.
Shopsmith sells them along with set screws, but I don't
need the screws.

Tried Enco - nothing, Grainger's got them, but not right size.
Need something from I.D. 1/8 to 3/8.

Ideas?

Thanks,

MJ

A local Mom and Pop hardware store carries them in standard sizes that fit a
lot of things. I bought shims that fit my Jet Bandsaw. They come in various
thicknesses as well as id and od. They are not expensive. I bet an auto
parts store might stock them as well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Ed,

Lee Valley (www.leevalley.com) sells shim stock.

I have the stock, but I need washers. I think I found something
that at least will punch out a round washer:

It's a round punch and die set. I read a blog where a person was
using a similar tool to do the very thing I wanted to do.

MJ

Here is one that almost the same, just higher quality...yes, I've tried the
harbor fright one and this one is MUCH better...I use it in my real job as a
machinist/machine builder.

http://www.jlindustrial.com/PBP-4030...D/product.html

Biggest advantage to this one is that after you punch your ID hole, you can
use a pilot in the end of your OD size to align the two in the finished
part.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike:

http://www.jlindustrial.com/PBP-4030...D/product.html

Biggest advantage to this one is that after you punch your ID hole, you can
use a pilot in the end of your OD size to align the two in the finished
part.

Wow! At $269 is better be good! Don't have that kind of cash. I
can buy the Shopsmith assortment for a lot less and have
many set screws as well. If I were in your job, I'd get the best.

Perhaps, I should ask one our guys in the club who does a lot
of tooling to punch me out some.

Thanks. I'm going to get the HF one and try punching out
a couple, if it works, it works, if not, back it goes!

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike:

http://www.jlindustrial.com/PBP-4030...D/product.html

Biggest advantage to this one is that after you punch your ID hole, you
can
use a pilot in the end of your OD size to align the two in the finished
part.

Wow! At $269 is better be good! Don't have that kind of cash. I
can buy the Shopsmith assortment for a lot less and have
many set screws as well. If I were in your job, I'd get the best.

Perhaps, I should ask one our guys in the club who does a lot
of tooling to punch me out some.

Thanks. I'm going to get the HF one and try punching out
a couple, if it works, it works, if not, back it goes!

MJ

Yeah, it's a bit on the spendy side, but like I said, I use it in my job, so
cost isn't quite as much of a killer for me.

But that's just me.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike,

Yeah, it's a bit on the spendy side, but like I said, I use it in my job, so
cost isn't quite as much of a killer for me.

The HF stuff is a piece of "crap" to say the least. I tried doing this
today and the punches are not popping out the holes like I expect.
The die is very rough, I suspect if I did a slight file on them with
emory cloth, the punches might slide in better. Also the cutting edges
are, I think, dull.

Right now, I got the classic - I've got one of the punches stuck in
the die! If I can't get it out, I'm taking it back to HF just the way
it
is. (Any ideas??? - I've sprayed it with WD-40 and letting it sit for
a bit to penetrate the punch.).

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike,

Yeah, it's a bit on the spendy side, but like I said, I use it in my job,
so
cost isn't quite as much of a killer for me.

The HF stuff is a piece of "crap" to say the least. I tried doing this
today and the punches are not popping out the holes like I expect.
The die is very rough, I suspect if I did a slight file on them with
emory cloth, the punches might slide in better. Also the cutting edges
are, I think, dull.

Right now, I got the classic - I've got one of the punches stuck in
the die! If I can't get it out, I'm taking it back to HF just the way
it
is. (Any ideas??? - I've sprayed it with WD-40 and letting it sit for
a bit to penetrate the punch.).

MJ

If you have a dire need for it...the washer...now, try using a press or a
vise.

If not, get thee to HF and do a swap/return/exchange.

WD-40 likely will not help with what you have going on right now. What you
seem to have is a press fit and they usually don't come apart all that
easily. Normally, I'd try some heat, but there is plastic involved and
unless you know exactly what you're doing, you can draw the temper out of
the punch and/or die.

If you lived around here...southern Wisconsin, I'd say you could drop by the
shop and I could whip up what you need.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike,

WD-40 likely will not help with what you have going on right now. What you
seem to have is a press fit and they usually don't come apart all that
easily. Normally, I'd try some heat, but there is plastic involved and
unless you know exactly what you're doing, you can draw the temper out of
the punch and/or die.

If you lived around here...southern Wisconsin, I'd say you could drop by the
shop and I could whip up what you need.

Thanks much. Calif. is a bit of a drive from Wisconsin, tho I would
like the
drive. I banged the punch almost back out. Will try something else
later.
The die is in two pieces - the plastic comes off (it's screwed on). So
heat
might do it. Drawing temper out a punch from HF? Not a concern for me.

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 18:27:36 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

is. (Any ideas??? - I've sprayed it with WD-40 and letting it sit for
a bit to penetrate the punch.).

On a side note...

There's a very inexpensive product sold in better automotive stores
called "PB Blaster". PB Blaster absolutely rocks WD-40's world when
it comes to loosening stuck fasteners.

One spray, and you'll recognize a familiar smell from every auto
repair shop you've ever been in.

It's cheap, too.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

is. (Any ideas??? - I've sprayed it with WD-40 and letting it sit for
a bit to penetrate the punch.).

On a side note...

There's a very inexpensive product sold in better automotive stores
called "PB Blaster". PB Blaster absolutely rocks WD-40's world when
it comes to loosening stuck fasteners.

One spray, and you'll recognize a familiar smell from every auto
repair shop you've ever been in.

It's cheap, too.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

The auto repair shops I frequent smell like Liquid Wrench.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote:

There's a very inexpensive product sold in better automotive stores
called "PB Blaster". PB Blaster absolutely rocks WD-40's world when
it comes to loosening stuck fasteners.

Have had excellant luck with Kroil from Kano Labs in Nashville.

They are on the web.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 19:22:44 -0400, willshak
wrote:

The auto repair shops I frequent smell like Liquid Wrench.

They haven't tried PB Blaster? G

I haven't tried Kroil, as I can easily get PB.

While LR is slightly better than WD-40, I'm not the only one who sees
the advantage to PB:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=rLn&q=PB+Blaster+liquid+wrench+WD-40&btnG=Search

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 20, 6:53*pm, "
wrote:
I've done a Google search for packets of shim washers and found
that I can buy, in quantity, various shim washers. What I'm looking
for is a variety pack of small washers of varying thickness.

Start by putting old washers into a coffee can...
and buy several thicknesses of shim stock
(brass is easier than stainless, and I don't like
plastic, but... I've got some of that, too).

Do the center hole with a Whitney punch (Roper Whitney
number 5 punch), and cut the washer out with tinsnips.
Flatten with a smooth-face hammer against a polished
anvil.

I've also done photoetching of shim stock to make dozens
of identical washers... just takes a UV lamp, paper negative
from your computer printer, spray-on resist, and some
ferric chloride and/or electric current. It sounds like a lot
of work, but most electronics labs have the goods to
do it (and I had such a lab handy at the time...).

Seeking source for shim/spring washers * Metalworking 11 February 11th 08 11:51 PM
Shim session 1 Bill Schwab Metalworking 17 February 7th 06 07:32 PM
Dado Shim Problem Bill Leonhardt Woodworking 19 August 29th 05 02:43 PM
shim stock needed Grady Metalworking 21 March 3rd 05 04:07 PM
Source for GOOD bolts, washers, copper washers, etc? Miki Kanazawa Metalworking 3 October 6th 03 11:45 PM