Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How far can you shim a dado?

I need to cut a slot about .305. That's .055 wider (nearly 1/16 th)
than the thinnest .250 dado setup. Would that many shims be unstable?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I need to cut a slot about .305. That's .055 wider (nearly 1/16 th)
than the thinnest .250 dado setup. Would that many shims be unstable?

Cut it in two or more passes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Assuming you have the dado blade manufacturers supplied (metal) shims
you should be OK with that entire quantity. The limit would the point
at which the teeth on the blades and/or chippers no longer overlap.

If you only have one or two you could complete it (them) in two passes
as was already mentioned.

G.S.

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 18:12:04 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I need to cut a slot about .305. That's .055 wider (nearly 1/16 th)
than the thinnest .250 dado setup. Would that many shims be unstable?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 3, 10:26 pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:
Assuming you have the dado blade manufacturers supplied (metal) shims
you should be OK with that entire quantity. The limit would the point
at which the teeth on the blades and/or chippers no longer overlap.

They don't need to overlap, but it's generally faster to make another
pass rather than clean up the sliver left over after the fact. If
it's going to show and you want a perfect flat bottom, making two
passes is a problem because the outside of the blades usually leaves a
slight score line which will show on your second pass.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 21:41:08 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

wrote in message
I need to cut a slot about .305. That's .055 wider (nearly 1/16 th)
than the thinnest .250 dado setup. Would that many shims be unstable?

Cut it in two or more passes.

That was my first thought. Or, buy another chipper if your dado brand
sells one. My double-wobble dado can be micro-adjusted, probably
easier than a stacked dado set.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I need to cut a slot about .305. That's .055 wider (nearly 1/16 th)
than the thinnest .250 dado setup. Would that many shims be unstable?

Are you certain that your .25" dado setup actually cuts .25" wide? It may
not be.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Leon" wrote:

wrote in message
I need to cut a slot about .305. That's .055 wider (nearly 1/16 th)
than the thinnest .250 dado setup. Would that many shims be unstable?

Are you certain that your .25" dado setup actually cuts .25" wide? It may
not be.

I'd guess it's unlikely to be off by as much as 55 thousandths.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 3, 9:12*pm, wrote:
I need to cut a slot about .305. *That's .055 wider (nearly 1/16 th)
than the thinnest .250 dado setup. *Would that many shims be unstable?

Multiple passes - safer and more accurate, IMHO.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Leon"
wrote:

wrote in message
I need to cut a slot about .305. That's .055 wider (nearly 1/16 th)
than the thinnest .250 dado setup. Would that many shims be unstable?

Are you certain that your .25" dado setup actually cuts .25" wide? It may
not be.

I'd guess it's unlikely to be off by as much as 55 thousandths.

It would not have to be. If the 1/16 chipper actually cuts .0625" and the
outer two blades under cut .25" by .0075", that combination will yield
..305".

If all 3 cut as indicated his grove would be very close to 1/128", .0075"
too wide.