Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What about staining old weathered wood?

Hello,

I'm NOT a woodworking expert, even in my imagination.

At the place we rent, there is an old wood swing in the back yard. To
the best I can tell, it has never been painted nor stained. It is
some years old. The wood is silvered and weathered, and a little
cracked and split.

What happens if I stain it? Obviously I can't prevent the damage
that's already happened. But will it slow future harm -- or is it too
late?

Also, what's the difference in *color* between staining old wood and
staining new wood? That is, if I build something else (yes, at a
rental) and use the same stain on it, how will the two pieces look
together?

Thank you for all answers.

Ted Shoemaker
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 20, 9:35*am, Ted Shoemaker wrote:
Hello,

I'm NOT a woodworking expert, even in my imagination.

At the place we rent, there is an old wood swing in the back yard. *To
the best I can tell, it has never been painted nor stained. *It is
some years old. *The wood is silvered and weathered, and a little
cracked and split.

What happens if I stain it? *Obviously I can't prevent the damage
that's already happened. *But will it slow future harm -- or is it too
late?

Any time you put some protection on wood, it should help it. However,
before you stain or seal with any type of deck sealer, you should
clean the wood. The discoloration is a mix of decaying wood and
dirt. TSP (available at Lowe's) and a stiff brush will wash it
clean. Or if you have a low power pressure washer, you can prep with
that as well as long as you are very careful not to fuzz up the wood.

With the wood cleaned, allow it a week or so to dry. Apply sealer as
per manufacturer's instructions.

Also, what's the difference in *color* between staining old wood and
staining new wood? *That is, if I build something else (yes, at a
rental) and use the same stain on it, how will the two pieces look
together?

Unless you use an opaque (this is like a light weight paint) stain/
sealer, the pieces will look very different. As wood dries out,
especially when left in direct sunlight, the cellulose cells shrink
and crowd closer together. This makes it harder for them to absorb
stains. Also, wood can discolor, streak, and check, etc., which will
affect the appearance of the wood under a stain.

Clean wood you probably know about.

Chances of matching an old wood structure and a new wood addition are
pretty slim unless you apply an opaque stain/sealer. With more solids
in the s/s, it acts more like paint so your have a much greater chance
of matching over a similar s/s with less solids. The solids will sit
on top of the wood and not only provide more protection than a clearer
finish, but the characteristics of the older wood won't be peeking
through in the background.

If it were me, I would clean it thoroughly, and put a couple of coats
of deck PAINT on it. Roll it on with a 4" roller, hit your corners
with a brush. You will be surprised how fast it will go.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ted Shoemaker wrote:
Hello,

I'm NOT a woodworking expert, even in my imagination.

At the place we rent, there is an old wood swing in the back yard. To
the best I can tell, it has never been painted nor stained. It is
some years old. The wood is silvered and weathered, and a little
cracked and split.

What happens if I stain it? Obviously I can't prevent the damage
that's already happened. But will it slow future harm -- or is it too
late?

I think to help prevent damage to the wood that you want to use paint
rather than stain. I'm not a woodworking expert, but I don't think
varnish or polyurethane (sp) would look right on old worn wood--I could
be wrong. As the wood is old and dry, I would expect it to suck up
whatever finish you use like a sponge. By the way, I don't think of
stain as a "finish", but as a coloring. Of course, finishes with
coloring agents are popular. Others here surely can provide you with
suggestions that should be taken with more authority than mine. Good
luck with your project!

Bill

Also, what's the difference in *color* between staining old wood and
staining new wood? That is, if I build something else (yes, at a
rental) and use the same stain on it, how will the two pieces look
together?

Thank you for all answers.

Ted Shoemaker

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ted Shoemaker" wrote in message

Hello,

I'm NOT a woodworking expert, even in my imagination.

At the place we rent, there is an old wood swing in the back yard. To
the best I can tell, it has never been painted nor stained. It is
some years old. The wood is silvered and weathered, and a little
cracked and split.

What happens if I stain it? Obviously I can't prevent the damage
that's already happened. But will it slow future harm -- or is it too
late?

Also, what's the difference in *color* between staining old wood and
staining new wood? That is, if I build something else (yes, at a
rental) and use the same stain on it, how will the two pieces look
together?

Thank you for all answers.

Ted Shoemaker

Depending on how much you want to put into this project there are many
avenues to take. First off if the wood is only a little cracked and split
you can restore the natural color of the wood by simply pressure washing and
or sanding. The most effective protection from this point would be to use
an exterior grade paint. Stain falling a distant second place. If you
pressure wash you will still have to sand to get rid of the rough surface
left behind and be sure and let the wood dry out before finishing or
painting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

[...]

Whut Robert said! Wishing I had read your reply before posting. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 20, 5:57*pm, "Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Whut Robert said! *Wishing I had read your reply before posting. *;~)

Hey.... I read your reply. Great minds, eh? ;^)

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to , Iqbal19 wrote:
nailshooter41 wrote:

[...]

There is a product available on Amazon called Eco Safe Wood Treatment
stain. I have used this mainly to give new wood an aged finish. You know
what I mean, like, a silvery gray patina. Has worked extremely well for me
on all my projects, garden beds, deck, fence, gazebo. Apart from the
natural stain affect on the wood, the product claims to protect the wood
from moss, fungus, dry rot and wet rot. Therefore, this eco friendly
product may be what you are looking for to use on the old weathered wood.
I live in Ontario and the garden beds are over two years old and still
look like new although with a beautiful aged look on the wood, fir.
The product is made by Tall Earth.
Hope this info is useful to you.