Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default What about staining old weathered wood?

Ted Shoemaker wrote:
Hello,

I'm NOT a woodworking expert, even in my imagination.

At the place we rent, there is an old wood swing in the back yard. To
the best I can tell, it has never been painted nor stained. It is
some years old. The wood is silvered and weathered, and a little
cracked and split.

What happens if I stain it? Obviously I can't prevent the damage
that's already happened. But will it slow future harm -- or is it too
late?

I think to help prevent damage to the wood that you want to use paint
rather than stain. I'm not a woodworking expert, but I don't think
varnish or polyurethane (sp) would look right on old worn wood--I could
be wrong. As the wood is old and dry, I would expect it to suck up
whatever finish you use like a sponge. By the way, I don't think of
stain as a "finish", but as a coloring. Of course, finishes with
coloring agents are popular. Others here surely can provide you with
suggestions that should be taken with more authority than mine. Good
luck with your project!

Bill

Also, what's the difference in *color* between staining old wood and
staining new wood? That is, if I build something else (yes, at a
rental) and use the same stain on it, how will the two pieces look
together?

Thank you for all answers.

Ted Shoemaker