Posted to rec.woodworking
Iqbal19 Iqbal19 is offline

Default What about staining old weathered wood?

replying to , Iqbal19 wrote:
nailshooter41 wrote:

Any time you put some protection on wood, it should help it. However,
before you stain or seal with any type of deck sealer, you should
clean the wood. The discoloration is a mix of decaying wood and
dirt. TSP (available at Lowe's) and a stiff brush will wash it
clean. Or if you have a low power pressure washer, you can prep with
that as well as long as you are very careful not to fuzz up the wood.
With the wood cleaned, allow it a week or so to dry. Apply sealer as
per manufacturer's instructions.
Unless you use an opaque (this is like a light weight paint) stain/
sealer, the pieces will look very different. As wood dries out,
especially when left in direct sunlight, the cellulose cells shrink
and crowd closer together. This makes it harder for them to absorb
stains. Also, wood can discolor, streak, and check, etc., which will
affect the appearance of the wood under a stain.
Clean wood you probably know about.
Chances of matching an old wood structure and a new wood addition are
pretty slim unless you apply an opaque stain/sealer. With more solids
in the s/s, it acts more like paint so your have a much greater chance
of matching over a similar s/s with less solids. The solids will sit
on top of the wood and not only provide more protection than a clearer
finish, but the characteristics of the older wood won't be peeking
through in the background.
If it were me, I would clean it thoroughly, and put a couple of coats
of deck PAINT on it. Roll it on with a 4" roller, hit your corners
with a brush. You will be surprised how fast it will go.
Robert

There is a product available on Amazon called Eco Safe Wood Treatment
stain. I have used this mainly to give new wood an aged finish. You know
what I mean, like, a silvery gray patina. Has worked extremely well for me
on all my projects, garden beds, deck, fence, gazebo. Apart from the
natural stain affect on the wood, the product claims to protect the wood
from moss, fungus, dry rot and wet rot. Therefore, this eco friendly
product may be what you are looking for to use on the old weathered wood.
I live in Ontario and the garden beds are over two years old and still
look like new although with a beautiful aged look on the wood, fir.
The product is made by Tall Earth.
Hope this info is useful to you.