Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Simulating Aged and Weathered Wood

Anybody know a good way to artificially age/weather wood?

I have some reclaimed lumber (not sure what species) from an old barn
that I want to use for the frame of a painting of the barn that will
be a birthday gift for a friend. Machining the wood will expose
surfaces with different texture and color and I'd like to treat/finish
those surfaces to better match them to the look of old and weathered
wood.

I suppose I could just set the frame out in the elements for a few
years, but a more expeditious approach would be preferred.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom wrote:
: Anybody know a good way to artificially age/weather wood?

: I have some reclaimed lumber (not sure what species) from an old barn
: that I want to use for the frame of a painting of the barn that will
: be a birthday gift for a friend. Machining the wood will expose
: surfaces with different texture and color and I'd like to treat/finish
: those surfaces to better match them to the look of old and weathered
: wood.

I have no experience, but this idea just popped into my head. File it
under "This is so crazy it just might work!"

Can you cut some veneers of of the weathered faces of the wood, and
then veneer them back onto the finished product? Absolutely authentic
naturally weathered apparence, with no chemicals or other fakery!

It won't work for fancy moldings, but I'm picturing a more "barn beam"
look.

Good luck! It sounds like a great project.

--- Chip

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chip Buchholtz wrote:
Tom wrote:
[...]

That was my first thought too. Come to think of it, it was my only thought.

I wasn't thinking of veneer, exactly. I was more along the lines of
using full pieces of barnboard that attach over the exposed ends you've
machined. Done properly, a galloping horse...

Tanus
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote:

To age it, I'd go over it lightly with a blow torch and
crisped some of the tips of the rough cuts on the boards. I then
wiped away
the burn ends with a rag and that left the wood looking truly old.

As a safety issue, consider using a 1,500W heat gun.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Veatch wrote in message
Anybody know a good way to artificially age/weather wood?

Several years ago, I built a bar for a friend and he wanted it to look like
it was built out of aged barn board. I went to the lumber yard and picked up
some rough cut pine. To age it, I'd go over it lightly with a blow torch and
crisped some of the tips of the rough cuts on the boards. I then wiped away
the burn ends with a rag and that left the wood looking truly old.

If you're using new wood, then you can go at it lightly with a hatched or a
machete or something like that. Do the torch thing I described above and
then stain or paint the wood. Practice a little bit on some scrap to get the
look you want.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote:

Tom Veatch wrote in message
Anybody know a good way to artificially age/weather wood?

Several years ago, I built a bar for a friend and he wanted it to look
like it was built out of aged barn board. I went to the lumber yard
and picked up some rough cut pine. To age it, I'd go over it lightly
with a blow torch and crisped some of the tips of the rough cuts on
the boards. I then wiped away the burn ends with a rag and that left
the wood looking truly old.

If you're using new wood, then you can go at it lightly with a hatched
or a machete or something like that. Do the torch thing I described
above and then stain or paint the wood. Practice a little bit on some
scrap to get the look you want.

Here's another way:

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/BeginnersArticles/01/f/01F964CFE4.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 03:50:16 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

Here's another way:

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/BeginnersArticles/01/f/01F964CFE4.html

That was interesting. My wife is the artist of the family and has an
extensive collection of pigments. So far, it sounds like the way to go
would be to use the torch/heat gun/wire brush approach to get the
texture, and turn color matching over to her.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Veatch wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 03:50:16 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

Here's another way:

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/Begi...1F964CFE4.html

That was interesting. My wife is the artist of the family and has an
extensive collection of pigments. So far, it sounds like the way to go
would be to use the torch/heat gun/wire brush approach to get the
texture, and turn color matching over to her.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

You might also try a search on: model railroading weathering wood

The only difference is scale.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 19, 2:35*pm, Tom Veatch wrote:
Anybody know a good way to artificially age/weather wood?

I have some reclaimed lumber (not sure what species) *from an old barn
that I want to use for the frame of a painting of the barn that will
be a birthday gift for a friend. Machining the wood will expose
surfaces with different texture and color and I'd like to treat/finish
those surfaces to better match them to the look of old and weathered
wood.

I suppose I could just set the frame out in the elements for a few
years, but a more expeditious approach would be preferred.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

I would check at your local hobby shop. They have paint for making wod
look weathered. It is used in building models and on railroad layouts.
I have tried it and it looks pretty good.

Randy
http://nokeswoodworks.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Here's another way:

http://www.taxidermy.net/forums/BeginnersArticles/01/f/01F964CFE4.html

That was interesting. My wife is the artist of the family and has an
extensive collection of pigments. So far, it sounds like the way to go
would be to use the torch/heat gun/wire brush approach to get the
texture, and turn color matching over to her.

The couple that ages together stays together?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Veatch wrote:
Anybody know a good way to artificially age/weather wood?

I have some reclaimed lumber (not sure what species) from an old barn
that I want to use for the frame of a painting of the barn that will
be a birthday gift for a friend. Machining the wood will expose
surfaces with different texture and color and I'd like to treat/finish
those surfaces to better match them to the look of old and weathered
wood.

I suppose I could just set the frame out in the elements for a few
years, but a more expeditious approach would be preferred.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

I have seen, and made, picture frames from old boards so that only the
aged surfaces are seen. The only one I have at hand is made with the
full board thickness with the edge of the board to the front. The
inside rear of the boards are rabbeted out to hold the glass and
picture. A thin piece of board is inserted into the rabbet and showing
two edges, both old. I can send pictures if you are interested.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Useless Invention: Checkered paint.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 08:19:15 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

The couple that ages together stays together?

Could be!

We've "aged together" for 42 years come July 1. That probably
qualifies for "stays together".

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Veatch writes:

That was interesting. My wife is the artist of the family and has an
extensive collection of pigments. So far, it sounds like the way to go
would be to use the torch/heat gun/wire brush approach to get the
texture, and turn color matching over to her.

Personally - I find that using a torch makes wood that looks like a
torch was used on it.

Micro-Mark sells oaints that simulate weathering

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...partment&ID=46

But this is for miniature model builders, and the sizes are in ounces
and not gallons.

For instance,
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=80873

is a tint that creates the weathered grey look, which is probably
exactly what you want, but it's $7 for 3 1/2 ounces.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 07:19:10 -0400, Maxwell Lol
wrote:

Personally - I find that using a torch makes wood that looks like a
torch was used on it.

Micro-Mark sells oaints that simulate weathering

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...partment&ID=46

But this is for miniature model builders, and the sizes are in ounces
and not gallons.

For instance,
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=80873

is a tint that creates the weathered grey look, which is probably
exactly what you want, but it's $7 for 3 1/2 ounces.

Thanks, Maxwell, that's the sort of thing I was looking for when I
started this fool's errand. And the small quantities may be a plus
since this particular project is fairly small and not something I plan
on starting as a new career.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA